New Leverage: A .500 S&W Mag Leverguns Available NOW

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kasTX
Levergunner 1.0

Re: New Leverage: A .500 S&W Mag Leverguns Available NOW

Post by kasTX »

The ammunition manufactureres have universally down-loaded both the .460 and .500 S&W cartridges to the realm of 50,000 to 52,000 psi, in order to facilitate extraction from double-action revolvers.
Cor-Bon originally developed three loads for the 500S&W, in 275, 400, and 440 grain. I believe the 440 ran the highest pressure at 50ksi. Comparing the specs of the currently offered 440gr load to those offered in the beginning shows no difference in performance, so there has been no downloading for the 500S&W. I'll have to check on the 460.
All the reloading data I'm aware of also takes that into consideration.

Check Hodgdon's site, it shows multiple loads above your 50-52ksi limit, with one running 57.3ksi:

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
I'm saying that production S&W chambers leave a bit to be desired, as to size & finish, in both calibers. Compared to Freedom Arms' chambers, they look like pipe joints or plumbing fixtures...
Maybe I just got lucky, but my chambers have a mirror finish. I can't really say much about chamber dimensions without the proper equipment other than I don't have any problems. My experience with bad chambers is limited to another manufacturer but that is another discussion.
Multiply that by SIX, and you have sticky extraction, sure as death & taxes...
Well there's your problem right there - trying to put six cartridges in a five round revolver! :lol:
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Well there's your problem right there - trying to put six cartridges in a five round revolver!
You have a point there... :oops:
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

For a better, more in-depth treatise on the .500 and pressure, read Brian Pearce's .500 S&W article, in the Third Edition of the LYMAN PISTOL & REVOLVER HANDBOOK, beginning on page 100, and getting to the point of conversation on page 101...

Takes me back to my question of a couple days ago...

In my somewhat limited experience with the .500 S&W, I've found that the handful of older WRA cartridge cases I picked up (literally) a while ago seem to be tougher/stronger than either the Starline or Hornady cases generally available.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I just went to the Bighorn Armory website. It's been updated and shows their Model 89 levergun in a rifle and carbine version with a retail price of $1889. Any takers?
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Last I heard mid-December from a reliable source they are scrambling to have good prototypes for the SHOT SHOW so I don't think they are truly production ready yet. I'll wait until Jeff Quinn gets his mitts on one.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

They do have a photo gallery with pictures of bison taken with the rifle and carbine. They do appear to be good looking guns, although I don't care for the shape of the grip and lever. No worries though, they aren't aren't on my short list of "must buy". I'm looking forward to some of report on these, soon.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

man, thats an ugly lever and pistol grip on that thing. They should have copied Marlin's if they really wanted to do a PG
----- Doug
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Streetstar wrote:man, thats an ugly lever and pistol grip on that thing. They should have copied Marlin's if they really wanted to do a PG
My preference is the old Winchester "semi pistol-grip," longer and more open that almost anything you'll see made today. FWIW, straight-grip stocks work perfectly for me...
Regards

Buck

Major Van Harl USAF
Levergunner

Post by Major Van Harl USAF »

TEDDY’S NEW BIG MEDICINE

Teddy Roosevelt took a Winchester model 1895 lever action rifle, chambered in the .405 Winchester cartridge to Africa to hunt dangerous animals. At the time the .405 was the most powerful American manufactured rifle cartridge. Roosevelt called his rifle “Big Medicine.” There is now a newly designed lever action rifle being made by Big Horn Armory of Cody Wyoming (http://www.bighornarmory.con) that I believe could be a modern day Teddy Roosevelt’s new big medicine. Smith and Wesson developed a handgun cartridge in 50 caliber, designated the 500 S&W Magnum. The case size is so large that even after introducing a new larger pistol frame (X-Frame) to handle the 500 S&W Magnum, the cylinder could only be chambered for 5 rounds. Of course as soon as the new pistol cartridge was released to the public the idea of using it as a rifle cartridge was quickly born. Frank Ehrenford, the owner of Big Horn Armor and his master machinist Dan Brown have been working to bring the 500 S&W Magnum to the lever action rifle shooting community. In his own words he wasted too much time trying to make someone else’s lever action rifle work chambered in 500 S&W Magnum. Pressure is the driving factor with the 500 S&W Magnum round and an entirely new designed lever action rifle needed to be developed. The venerable models 1886 and 1892 were used as a basis to start from. By combining features from both rifles and enhancing the strength, Frank has come up with what he calls his Model 89 which is in between “86” and “92”. I knew Frank back in the early 1970s, when we worked at a gun shop and indoor range. Frank always talked about “kicking harder-booming louder” when he discussed his ideas of big manly firearms. I would suggest his new Model 89 is right up there in the higher recoil and increased decimal area. I would also suggest that Teddy Roosevelt would loved to have of had a Big Horn Armory Model 89 to take to Africa with him. I could envision that great, turn of the century hunter with his Model 89 in his hand and a Smith and Wesson 500 S&W Magnum pistol on his belt, stalking the most dangerous wildlife the African continent could offer up for his hunting adventures. Of course the idea of having a cartridge that you could carry into the backwoods that allowed you to chamber it in either your rifle or handgun has been a desired feature since the early days of western expansion. The problem with pistol cartridges of the late 1800s being shot out of a rifle, was the lack of power that left the shooter wanting for more. The 500 S&W Magnum does not leave you lacking or wanting in either the handgun and most assuredly in a rifle. However, other than some single shot rifles and I assume some custom bolt action rifles, there is very little out there that you can match your 500 S&W Magnum revolver up with, to take on nature’s largest and most dangerous. Large caliber, lever action rifles were becoming very popular for hunting in the thick alder-brush of Alaska when I was stationed up there with the Air Force in the early 1990s. A fast handling lever gun could be just the trick in the thick and dangerous quarters of the Alaska bush. Now envision a lever gun in 500 S&W Magnum with a nice 450 grain gas check Keith bullet (Frank’s design and production) moving down range at 1850 plus FPS to stop that bear who is unhappy with your presence. If you need great power and a fast handling shooting platform that is also very good looking, the Big Horn Armory Model 89 lever action rifle will fill that void in your personal shooting adventure and provide you with new big medicine. There is a sense of anticipation about the debut of this rifle and the expected demand by North American hunters of large and dangerous game. New big medicine will put big holes in big animals and the winner is the owner of a new Big Horn Armory Model 89. For manly Oklahoma hunters and Methodist preachers who hunt the high Veld (plains) this is a must have shooting iron. Last week a pet dog was taken from its own back yard here in Colorado by two mountain lions. You don’t want to face off with that type of dangerous animal with a 22 rifle. Bad things deserve nothing but the best in response, two legged or four legged. Did I use the word manly enough?

Major Van Harl USAF Ret
vanharl@aol.com
Major Van Harl USAF
Levergunner

Post by Major Van Harl USAF »

Big Horn Armory
Cody-Model 89 / 500 S&W Mag lever action rifle

Two Big Horn Armory-Cody Model 89s spent the night at my house last night (1 June 2010). Their owner / designer Frank Ehrenford (an old friend) stopped by on his way to show his 500 S&W mag. lever action rifles, to some folks down at Raton, New Mexico at the NRA-Whittington Center. Having one of those Cody-89s in my hands convinced me, Frank got it right.
This rifle is not a knock-off of anyone else’s 100 year old firearm. It is a new designed rifle from the ground up and built to take the 500 S&W mag. round.
There is nothing in the US that you cannot stop with this rifle and when you snap it up to your shoulder you will want one. The feel of this rifle and the way it lines up is something you want on your side, when facing down a brown bear in Alaska. My Canadian relatives could use one of these also. (http://www.bighornarmory.com)
The Cody-89 is one manly firearm that will put large holes, in things that need to be stopped from hurting you.
Major Van Harl USAF Ret.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Major Van Harl USAF Ret.,

Just wondering, does that .500 S&W really gain that much on the 45-70???
I know with the 45-70 like with the Marlin XLR you can get 2150fps out of a 400gr punch bullet.
Was just wondering other than the cool hype of owning a .50 caliber wont most people just stay with the good ole 45-70?
Since, if the shooter does his part really I cant think of anything a 400gr punch bullet at 2150fps won't dispatch anywhere.

I think its cool that the .500 is to be had in a lever,just wonder if its really much better?
Last edited by madman4570 on Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Major Van Harl USAF wrote:TEDDY’S NEW BIG MEDICINE

Teddy Roosevelt took a Winchester model 1895 lever action rifle, chambered in the .405 Winchester cartridge to Africa to hunt dangerous animals. At the time the .405 was the most powerful American manufactured rifle cartridge. Roosevelt called his rifle “Big Medicine.” There is now a newly designed lever action rifle being made by Big Horn Armory of Cody Wyoming (http://www.bighornarmory.con) that I believe could be a modern day Teddy Roosevelt’s new big medicine. Smith and Wesson developed a handgun cartridge in 50 caliber, designated the 500 S&W Magnum. The case size is so large that even after introducing a new larger pistol frame (X-Frame) to handle the 500 S&W Magnum, the cylinder could only be chambered for 5 rounds. Of course as soon as the new pistol cartridge was released to the public the idea of using it as a rifle cartridge was quickly born. Frank Ehrenford, the owner of Big Horn Armor and his master machinist Dan Brown have been working to bring the 500 S&W Magnum to the lever action rifle shooting community. In his own words he wasted too much time trying to make someone else’s lever action rifle work chambered in 500 S&W Magnum. Pressure is the driving factor with the 500 S&W Magnum round and an entirely new designed lever action rifle needed to be developed. The venerable models 1886 and 1892 were used as a basis to start from. By combining features from both rifles and enhancing the strength, Frank has come up with what he calls his Model 89 which is in between “86” and “92”. I knew Frank back in the early 1970s, when we worked at a gun shop and indoor range. Frank always talked about “kicking harder-booming louder” when he discussed his ideas of big manly firearms. I would suggest his new Model 89 is right up there in the higher recoil and increased decimal area. I would also suggest that Teddy Roosevelt would loved to have of had a Big Horn Armory Model 89 to take to Africa with him. I could envision that great, turn of the century hunter with his Model 89 in his hand and a Smith and Wesson 500 S&W Magnum pistol on his belt, stalking the most dangerous wildlife the African continent could offer up for his hunting adventures. Of course the idea of having a cartridge that you could carry into the backwoods that allowed you to chamber it in either your rifle or handgun has been a desired feature since the early days of western expansion. The problem with pistol cartridges of the late 1800s being shot out of a rifle, was the lack of power that left the shooter wanting for more. The 500 S&W Magnum does not leave you lacking or wanting in either the handgun and most assuredly in a rifle. However, other than some single shot rifles and I assume some custom bolt action rifles, there is very little out there that you can match your 500 S&W Magnum revolver up with, to take on nature’s largest and most dangerous. Large caliber, lever action rifles were becoming very popular for hunting in the thick alder-brush of Alaska when I was stationed up there with the Air Force in the early 1990s. A fast handling lever gun could be just the trick in the thick and dangerous quarters of the Alaska bush. Now envision a lever gun in 500 S&W Magnum with a nice 450 grain gas check Keith bullet (Frank’s design and production) moving down range at 1850 plus FPS to stop that bear who is unhappy with your presence. If you need great power and a fast handling shooting platform that is also very good looking, the Big Horn Armory Model 89 lever action rifle will fill that void in your personal shooting adventure and provide you with new big medicine. There is a sense of anticipation about the debut of this rifle and the expected demand by North American hunters of large and dangerous game. New big medicine will put big holes in big animals and the winner is the owner of a new Big Horn Armory Model 89. For manly Oklahoma hunters and Methodist preachers who hunt the high Veld (plains) this is a must have shooting iron. Last week a pet dog was taken from its own back yard here in Colorado by two mountain lions. You don’t want to face off with that type of dangerous animal with a 22 rifle. Bad things deserve nothing but the best in response, two legged or four legged. Did I use the word manly enough?

Major Van Harl USAF Ret
vanharl@aol.com
Are you here to just say howdy to the folks on the forum or sell a product? Most people like to introduce themselves and say howdy in their first post. Just sayin'... Forgive me for feeling surly today.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Love to have the rifle. Was ready to buy one. Sent an email about having any in stock for purchase, never heard from them. Their loss.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Simplyrugged
Levergunner

Post by Simplyrugged »

"Its a pistol grip. Deal killer for me."
Not my first post, but I rarely post here, I was one of the first to post here, years ago.
Many folks here know me from other related forums. I am not here to shill for anyone, just thought I might add my two bits as someone that has actually shot and handled this rifle.
Hobie, I just shot one of these at Whittington Center; the pistol grip and lever are very well designed. it is functional not fancy. Having lived in AK for several years I would have loved this type of rifle myself. As it was I "made do" with my SS Marlin 45-70 as my beach & camp gun.
Mic McPherson explained why the oval lever is superior in FUNCTION, if not in looks to the squared off Marlin Lever; it gives more room for the hand under recoil. The pistol grip also helps handle the sharp recoil as well.
Frank is a great guy, he has lots of experience killing big hairy animals, in Montana and Alaska.
I know Jeff Quinn was chatting with Frank about his rifles on the range, I am pretty sure he fired them while there. Jeff did fire the 89 at the SHOT show.
If you tried to contact Frank in the last week or so he has been at the Shootist's Holiday. Very hard to access the web there. long days shooting and visiting with great folks from all over.
Gun prices- to each his own- it is worth every penny if you hunt or live were there is big dangerous game.

Rob Leahy
These are the good old Days

Simplyrugged.com
Joel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joel »

nemhed wrote:

Major Van Harl USAF Ret
vanharl@aol.com
Are you here to just say howdy to the folks on the forum or sell a product? Most people like to introduce themselves and say howdy in their first post. Just sayin'... Forgive me for feeling surly today.

Very strange

This is copy-pasta from a few other sites. Somebody distributes this "commentary" whenever mention of the big new rifle comes up.
Simplyrugged
Levergunner

Post by Simplyrugged »

It looks like the Major posts a bunch on Chuck Hawk's blog fwiw.
These are the good old Days

Simplyrugged.com
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Simplyrugged,'ol Slim can sure ride a bomb can't he.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
crow
Levergunner

Post by crow »

nemhed wrote:

Major Van Harl USAF Ret
vanharl@aol.com
I thought the same thing Nemhed when I saw the number of posts. It's not surly to remind someone of manners. Strange because most military men I have encountered have good manners.

Interesting rifle none the less, and I actually really like the shape especially the carbine.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Well Major I will just stick with my $500 Marlin 1895 in .45-70 and a brand new made in the USA Redfield 3x9x40 scope. I feel confident it will protect me from those big bad animals. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I know this thread is kind of a straggler but I have to agree with those asking, "What's wrong with a $500 Marlin in .45-70?"

Also, I agree that the lever is ugly on that thing (too curved and sort of stunted looking) and I don't like the pot belly forearm either.

God bless 'em and good luck, but I'll go out on a limb here and predict that the concern will be defunct within a year or two.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Just to add my $.02, I've shot both the .460 and .500 S&W cartridges in their revolvers, three rounds of each....and have no desire to ever repeat the event. I've shot .44 Mags for years and even tried out my bud's .454 Casul, again three rounds. They use the Casul round for a reduced load in the .460 BTW. Too much in a revolver for this wimp, in a rifle/carbine of an appropriate weight...maybe a different story.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

NonPCnraRN wrote:
salvo wrote:Sure would like a nice little trapper in .475 Linebaugh!
I got a Puma in 480 Ruger. In looking at the Grizzly Cartridge web site, the mv is only 100-150fps between the 480 Ruger and the .475 Linebaugh. I assume those are revolver barrel velocities. I would bet my 480 Ruger out of a Puma would be the equal of the .475 Linebaugh out of a six gun.
Or============== You could just stick with the good ole trusted 45-70 :D
Why reinvent the wheel! :lol:
To make some big booms today to celebrate Independance Day was shooting off some of the Conley 405 grainers at 2150fps
Both out of the ruger#1 and the H&R handi(BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMM) :wink:
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

I hope Big Horn Armory is a success. And I'll probably never have one; but I want one. While I'm at it I want one in .454 Casull and .475 Linebaugh. And that's my $.02.

Bob in NE Indiana
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Same. I hope they succeed. More gunmakers and new designs is not a bad thing.

Just because it starts out as a .500 doesn't mean they can't make it in other calibers (.454 for example) that people have been wanting in a levergun for years.

My personal needs unless i ever move to Alaska are more suited by a pair of ARs, a .44 Marlin for general purpose use and various bolt actions for everything else.

But in the event i was in bear country and had the budget for it, I wouldn't mind one of these, or a suitably modified Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun (the newer variant that just came out being nearly perfect to me).
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

madman4570 wrote: Or============== You could just stick with the good ole trusted 45-70 :D
Why reinvent the wheel! :lol:
I absolutely agree. For example, I compared the ballistics of Buffalo Bore's .500 compared to their 45-70. The 45-70 FAR surpasses the 500 in energy. It seems to me the 500 levergun is a solution waiting for a problem. It's 1/4" shorter if that's important to some.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Fellers, I am as much enamored of the .45-70 as anybody here, but I don't look at BHA's .500 S&W rifle as a replacement for the old .45 in any way... no more than I ever viewed the .454 Casull that way.

When I designed and built my .454 rifle, that cartridge was the new "wunderkind" on the block, with the wonderful Freedom Arms revolvers rolling (slowy -- at first) off the line and into the hands of customers. The idea for that rifle first began germinating back in 1959, after I read P.O. Ackley's article about Dick Casull and his quest for a super-powered .45-caliber revolver... So, all I had to do was to finish High School, then become well-enough grounded in the mechanical & engineering arts to be confident of tackling the design problems successfully... And, yes, there was many a twist and turn on that road...

Nowadays., things tend to move more quickly, and as soon as the .500 S&W was announced, several people started looking for suitable rifle platforms to launch this new bull-of-the-woods round. Again, the operative philosophy was that Smith & Wesson would be producing the revolver, and whoever got there "fustest with the mostest" could garner a good share of the levergun market, while everyone else played catch-up...

So, the niche for this new rifle from Big Horn Armory can be found mostly among the brave and sturdy souls who own and shoot their X-Frame S&Ws -- with an occasional BFR thrown in, for good measure. Once the secondary "birthing pains" are out of the way, the Big Horn rifle looks to be a powerful contender for winner in its class...

In no way is the .500 S&W intended to supplant the venerable .45-70 -- or the .30-30, or the .308, or .338 Win Mag, or whatever else your favorite cartridge of the moment may be. The perceived gains over any of the above-mentioned, will be found in the "2-gun/one-cartridge" mindset of so may of us in the far-flung corners of the West and the Great North-West... Such combinations make perfect, logical sense to us, and we care not a whit if others become befuddled at the notion... It is TRADITION with us, and we don't find any compelling reasons to change our thoughts and behaviors in that regard...

So, just as the .300 Win Mag and the .300 Weatherby exist peacefully alongside the trusty olf .30 WCF and the .300 Savage, so will the .500 S&W settle into that role where it can be of most good to its owner, without disturbing the history, traditions or efficacy of any of its brethren...

Just my $0.02 worth...
Regards

Buck

NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

For the price I think I will stick with my Puma in 480. It is what a lever action carbine should look like. It feels good to the hand and slinging a 275 gr all copper X bullet (Peoples Republic of Kalifornia) will do anything I will need of a carbine. For lucky people outside of the Kalifornia Kondor area, a 420 gr WFN just under 1200 fps will get the job done as well as a 475L revolver. I never could get the hang of curved pistol grips, curved levers and half or button magazines. But that is just me, slim stocks, straight pistol grips and levers, and full length mag tubes whether the barrel is 16" or 26" long. Large loop levers are OK since the "Duke" had one on his 92. When I say "Duke" I mean JW, not the gunwriter in Hawiian shirts and WWII German helmets.
papasan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papasan »

rodeo kid wrote:Well Major I will just stick with my $500 Marlin 1895 in .45-70 and a brand new made in the USA Redfield 3x9x40 scope. I feel confident it will protect me from those big bad animals. God Bless.
Lots of good responses, opinions ect,
but i will stick to my Guide gun,
45/70. It spits out a rather "big chunk of lead" too. And since i am not a reloader, the choices of available factory ammo from mild to wild as they say, makes it quite unique in my opinion.

papasan
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

Digging up an older thread...but did this gun ever "make it" out of the chute?
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I'm wondering the same thing. I read Jeff Quinn's article about it some time back. Sounds like a horse. DRC is advertising a S-W 500 lever too.
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

Birdman wrote:I'm wondering the same thing. I read Jeff Quinn's article about it some time back. Sounds like a horse. DRC is advertising a S-W 500 lever too.
DRC? Who? Do you have a link?
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

Thankye sir! Nice looking lever there. Reminds me of the project that WWG was touting for a time though I don't think it ever went into production.