What Do You Use For Targets?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Highplains
Levergunner

What Do You Use For Targets?

Post by Highplains »

I use a receiver sight on a Marlin 38-55. While doing some load development at 50 yards, I've found that I shoot much tighter groups if I center the front bead on the target rather than shooting at the 6 0'clock position. This is fine using a traditional 8 inch target. At 50 yards, the bead fits the target with just enough of the target showing to center it in. At 100 yards this will be another story and I'd need a much bigger target. I'm looking for the easiest way to go about this without spending a fortune at Midway on NRA 300 yard and beyond targets. Are you folks just making them out of black paper and poster board or what? Is there a source of cheap targets that are big enough for what I need?

Thanks
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: What Do You Use For Targets?

Post by AJMD429 »

I use my word processor's "table" function to create an 8"x8" table with 1" squares, shade the background of the center four with grey, and use that. The three little 'dots' on the left edge are where a paper punch will fit a 3-ring binder.

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I shoot at little rocks, big rocks, weed clumps, empty shotshells left behind, cans, NOT bottles :evil:, hang something small on a string off a branch....almost anything safe that isn't a paper target 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Get a can of your favorite color paint for a bull...Make a stencil the appropriate diameter and spray away..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I shoot at mostly bulls eyes at the range but I do use the 6:00 hold with my front sights. Can't see the target by covering it up, so I can't get any groups.
In recent rears I've tried targets with gridded crosses on them similar to the one AJMD posted but with thicker cross bars.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Highplains
Levergunner

Post by Highplains »

AJMD429:

The bead on my front sight would cover that 8" at 100 yards but I can sure see where centering on crossed lines would work.
Highplains
Levergunner

Post by Highplains »

J. Miller:

If the target is big enough, I'm guessing 10-12 inches, then the bead will center on it. But I'm like you. Until a better idea comes along, I'm going to try the crossed bars.
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

Plywood Zulus
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Mostly "Dixie" plates. Sometimes Ranch Dog's target when I enter his postal matches. I like AJMD's idea.

A six o'clock hold is best for hunting, or simulation of same at the range, IMO. It's best with post type front sights, where you just pick an easily distinguished point on the target. I then simply sight in for a POI 3" above my POA. On the paper plates I will sometimes make a short upside down "T" near the bottom third.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

12 ga. hulls make the best targets. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Lefty Dude wrote:12 ga. hulls make the best targets. :wink:
You're not kidding! I use 12 and 20 gauge hulls that other shooters leave behind. 25 yards they are easy with the large bead on a Marlin, but 50+ yards and you better buckle down :lol:

But I also do lots of bullseye work. When my son gets time off work long enough to come shootin' with me, he brings a couple cases of clay pigeons along. 100-200 yard work on those little fellers with open sights is great fun :mrgreen:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Uh,...I use a small spray point spot, or a small circle drawn with a sharpie marker on a piece of cardboard for sighting in or shooting groups. Otherwise, it's all those other things mentioned, or the steel plates @ 300 and 600 yards. There's lots of good rocks and brush clumps at various ranges out to 1200 or so yards. It gets hard to see the dust after that far.

Shooting spot,

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I agree spray paint is your best bet. I cut both ends off of a tin can and put it against the board, and spray. Makes a nice round bullseye. Walmart has spray paint for .99c a can.

You might need a bigger can - get some Planter's Peanuts and save the can.

I also like playing cards out to 50 yards or so.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
Upside down T... I make them thicker, taller depebding on range. I used to use a triangle but the inverted T is much more precise.
Black marker, crayon and any white paper.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I print paper targets off the internet for my daughter and her pellet gun.
we had a lot of fun shooting the teeth out of those grinning mouths.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

>100 yds = 10" armorplate gong from www.metaltargets.com

<100 yds = dirt cheap bulk paper plates.

Both use the cheap spraypaint of the week...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I took a piece of plane paper and colored a 4" dot (or any other size/shape) in the center with a marker. I then xeroxed a bunch, (can't remember what it cost .02 - .03 per, and I did some at work). I've got about 1,000 of various shapes sizes around somewhere.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

I use that cheap construction paper the kids use. I make inverted "T's" 2" wide with 4-6" legs from my 1" black target masking tape. I hold in line with the vertical leg, and at six o'clock on the horizontal leg. Easy to read hits with my spotting scope too.
I get many spots like that off an 18"x24" piece.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I let the politicians running for office supply me with all the target stands and backing plates I ever need. After an election those so called politicians take there time taking down their signs, I collect the re-bar and if the sign itself is sturdy I throw it in the truck too. Cut the sign up as wide and tall as you want your target backing or even trace a store bought humanoid shaped target I think they are B-59's? anyways hammer the re-bar in the ground as wide as your target backing and use bailing wire to attach them. I like white backing targets so bring some spray paint to cover up the old sign. Attach your target to the backing using tape. From 25 -50 yards I like black squares printed off the computer, or dayglo stickers.

at 75-200 yds a red paper plate is the easiest to see with open sights.

Then I just leave the rebar in the ground at my desert range to use again another day! Also you can stick single re-bar in the ground at undetermined ranges and with a clay bird and a rubber band you have a clay bird stand, much better than shooting them off the ground.
I also have a full set of IHMSA steel targets if I'm shooting with a bunch of people or just want to practice field shooting for the day.

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Out to 50 yards, (half of that with revolvers), a plain ole paper plate with a 1.5" center dot colored in with marker, or a square of 1" blue masking tape works dandy. Cheap, and momma's always got a "value pack" of em in the kitchen. For a stand, a 3' long stick or piece of re-bar or 1/4" steel rod with a clothespin taped to the top, and clip the plate on "lollipop" style.
Certified gun nut
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

I like charcoal briquettes they are cheap, biodegradable, and you know when you hit them.
Joel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joel »

I shoot all the veg from the garden that gets too big and pithy to eat. Squash, zukes, tomaters, cukes, peppers, pumpkins etc

Anything that gets too big, or too funky goes out to the target berm. Then I get volunteers at the berm next year, and I plant them in the garden instead of buying new plants from the nursery.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Pretty nice shooting from some of you guys on this website.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

With a black magic marker, I made a 4" x 4" square with a 1" inner circle. I then sneak in the shipping office before the boss comes in and run out several hundred of them :D

I made a rubber stamp out of a piece of soft rubber (1 and 1/2" with a half inch inner circle) I use this for 25-50 yard shooting.

I also make my own "shoot 'n see" targets by tightly stretching Saran Wrap over white cardboard and spray paint it flat black. These can be made in any size.

I had several gongs made from armor plate that I use at 100 to 300 meters. .223 black tip does not even hurt it. :D I hang them from 3/4" rebar.

I use a 6 o'clock hold on everything. Its the only sight picture that makes sense
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I've got to be careful with my Gong.. apparantly (according to the magnet) all of my 7.62 surplus (in 54R or .308) is steel core... :?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

I mostly use the cheapest paper plates I can find. The dinner and desert size both make great targets.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

i print out targets from mytarget.com
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

"ALMOST NOTHING IN THIS WORLD IS SO USELESS THAT IT CAN'T BE A FINE TARGET."
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

make your own Shoot-N-C targets ......
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=14745

a target stand idea:
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... 6&p=328075

Cheers,

Carl
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

I use a steel plate spin target that I made out of .500 inch of steel armor plate.
Works really good out to 250 yards. You know you hit it every time because it
responds with a loud ring. :D Works real good shooting the 38-55 with hard cast lead.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.