Stock Refinishing Opinions needed:

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Stock Refinishing Opinions needed:

Post by Old Ironsights »

The stocks on my '99, while not Bubba'd, have been "finished" (in both senses of the term) by some ham handed clod with a paintbrush and a can of varnish.

The gun is a 1981 model and since it's already been "refinished" I may as well do it right. Can't hurt the "collector's value" any more than has been done.

I'm cleaning the varnish out of the action now, but would like to strip the stock and restart with a proper stock oil (I'm thinking Tung).

What would be the best/recommended method for stripping the stock?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Stock Refinishing Opinions needed:

Post by Gun Smith »

I have used Homer Formby's finish remover with sucess. It will let you retain the original color of the stain/finish in the wood and allow use of his refinish , or a Tru Oil type of refinish. Gloss or semi gloss, your choice, either works fine.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Just finished one with Formby's Tung Oil Finish, Low Gloss. Came out really nice, vastly easier than TruOil. Simple follow instructions on the can, nothing exotic at all.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Gun Smith wrote:I have used Homer Formby's finish remover with sucess. It will let you retain the original color of the stain/finish in the wood and allow use of his refinish , or a Tru Oil type of refinish. Gloss or semi gloss, your choice, either works fine.
This is what I have done on a couple guns and they have turned out nice. The Formby's strips the old finish without sanding. About 3 applications of the Tru Oil seems right. It is forgiving as well. If you don't like it you just 000 steel wool it off and apply another coat until you get one that satisfies you.

Before

After