Winchester 255

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Big Bore 94
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 255

Post by Big Bore 94 »

Any input on this 22 magnom levergun. One nearby has checkered stocks and a weaver scope for $275.
hammerman
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Winchester 255

Post by hammerman »

My Dad has one. It shoots great and the lever throw is nice and short. It's not as smooth as a 9422 and it is thicker (which sucks for packing), but I think they are a decent gun. I think the sights are great. I can hit just about anything with them.
Only Winchester levers, one custom 356 top eject bigbore
Big Bore 94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Big Bore 94 »

Thanks Hammerman for the information! I think I'll try this one.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

I have a 250 the LR not the mag I dusted it off from the back of the gun safe this year,I had it for 10 years and only put maybe a box 50 shells through it until this year, but now I'am thinking it might replace my Marlin 39!
I guess because it feels like a 99 savage to me? The Marlin is real steel though but they shot the same.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I had a Red Letter 250 around for a little bit. Shame... sometime in it's past some one had PAINTED the gun with some sort of black paint... ugly but functional.

Good shooter... accurate with the issued iron sights. The one I had would hang up a little if the gun was tilted sideways during cocking..

250/255 Winchesters are kinda rare... maybe they just don't show up on the used market often. $275 seems fair based on the few I have seen
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

You see quite a few 250's in Australia, they are rarely in good condition though. I have never seen a 255 and if you have one in good condition it would pay you to keep it.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

The only weak point in the design is the stamped locking lug that pivots up to lock the breech block. The pin tends to break off and there are no more available.