Old reloading tools.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Old reloading tools.

Post by J Miller »

I was sorting out all my reloading dies and accessories to see what I might get rid of. Down at the bottom of the box was my two ancient Lee Loaders. I have one in 30-30 and one in .45 Colt.
I opened the old cardboard box and noticed the decapper was broken. I pulled the tray out and found the old receipt, instruction manual and data sheet.
The instruction manual was copyright 1966. The data sheet, 1972. The price for a decapper was $1.75. My wife and I laughed and she said it would probably be $5.00 now.
Then we looked at the old receipt. Oh do I wish for these old days gone by.

I bought this reloader April 22 1975 at Bonds Gun Shop in Phoenix and paid $10.98 for it. Along with it I bought a box of Hornady 250gr JHPs for $6.30 and a tube of RCBS case lube for 75¢.
This was the third Lee Loader set I'd bought. The first was 30-30, the second, 303 Brit.

After my wife and I joked about the price I came upstairs went on line to the Lee site. They still make the original Lee Loader, and sell parts for it. I ordered a new decapper - $2.50 and an o-ring for the bullet seater lock ring 50¢. Shipping was $4.00 so in a couple days for a whopping $7.00 my ancient Lee Loader will be back up and running.

Perhaps I'll load some ammo on it for old times sake.

Perhaps not. I did that with the 30-30 set several years ago when I also ordered some replacement parts.
Not fun. Too darn noisy.

But I won't part with them. Something else maybe ..... :twisted: .

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Old reloading tools.

Post by 20cows »

Those old tools still make reloading in the field a possibility.

Don't do that much myself, but it's nice to have the option.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Picked up a Large 310 tong tool yesterday $15.50 .. looking for some 300 Savage dies for it... Should be a hoot to play with...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Yes it is. There is one more thing I think is good about them, they are designed so you must take one step at a time. They make learning to reload more positive because you have to do each thing separately. Learning on an original Lee Load will give you a better understanding of the mechanics that goes into a hand loaded cartridge.

But, they're still too noisy, and I won't use the priming part ... :o :shock: ... oh how I hate being jarred when a primer pops!

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

FIFTY YEARS AGO, JOSE, I LOADED WITH LYMAN 310 TOOLS IN 222REM, 9MM PARA, 257ACKIMP, AND 30-40KRAG. AND I THINK I AM FORGETTING ONE OR TWO. IT WAS SO RELAXING AND SO SATISFYING JUST TO LOAD ONE FULL BOX OF AMMO.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
ole pizen slinger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ole pizen slinger »

I own a Winchester '73 in 38-40. To go with the rifle I picked up an original mould for the 38wcf that is in good enough condition to cast bullets. I also managed to find an original Winchester 1882 loading tool that is in 'as new' condition. I have not tried to cast bullet with the mould but the loadinga tool works and will produce reloads that are as good as if produced in a modern day press. I was a little surprised to find that the old timers knew and appreciated some of the aspects of reloading. The tool I have will resize the case slightly and the decapping pin had a feature to ever-so-slightly bell the mouth of the case so as to start a bullet. I usually over do the belling operation but the old tool has that operation figured just right. The tool also seats the bullet at just the right length. No reason I couldn't take the rifle, the reloading tool, the mould, a supply of BP, lead, and primers to the field and make reloads for this rifle. Kinda neat to be able to do something the way the old timers did. Don't ever sell them short.
ole pizen slinger
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I too began with a Lee Loader; in .38 special. About 35 years or so later I still have 4 reloaders on hand (along with presses, measures, scales, and a whole slew of other stuff). When I feel "retro" I'll hammer out a few rounds, mostly .44 Special (seems fitting to reload the .44 by hand). I still pop a primer now and then but it's still fun.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'm about half way convinced that if you called Lee and told them what you have they would N/C the decapper. But then you could always use the one for your .45 Colt in the .30-30.

If you need 310 dies try "the 310 shop" on the net.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Rusty,

I thing you need to re-read my post. Lee sells parts for those, and I've already got the decapper on the way.

Joe