Great old Photo!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Great old Photo!

Post by rangerider7 »

No information available but lots of clues in the photo.

"That'll Be The Day"
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Great old Photo!

Post by Tycer »

IMO, there's a man who considers his work a business worth investing in. He's got a lot of money tied up in his horse, rig, clothing and weapons.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The guy looks a lot more real than most photo subjects, but the first thing that caught my eye was that it looked like it would be hard to walk with that pistol worn so low. Sort of reminds me of the way city kids wear their pants nowadays.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I noticed the low-slung holster as well. I can't tell if it's just a crease in his leggings or if the rig is tied down. Tied down wasn't done much before Hollywood and the hangy-downy buscudero rig became so common.

I do notce that his rig is not a hangy-downy buscadero.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Cool photo. He's the real deal, but I can't say why he's slung that belt so low. Maybe just for the pictures sake as I can see it being a real pain to walk in. It's just about low enough to fall down under it's own weight with him just standing there. And, he does have some coin wrapped up in his riggin and equipment. Thanks, RR7.
Old Law Dawg
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Looks like the rig would be comfortable to ride in that way. I've never worn a rig nor ridden much so that's just a wag.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

I'm wondering about the amount of ammo he appears to be carrying. If that is a double row rig, he might be some kind of animal bounty hunter. I do believe he's the real thing though. His rig isn't tied down, and the weight of it seems to be pulling it down. Strange.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

The hardest thing to explain is the rig. Must be a concession for poseing that he doctored up. Otherwise he strikes me as being freshly out of the cavary, and someone in a booming mineing camp wanted to take his picture when he rode through. Also he is left handed unless the negative is turned around?
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Booger Bill wrote:The hardest thing to explain is the rig. Must be a concession for poseing that he doctored up. Otherwise he strikes me as being freshly out of the cavary, and someone in a booming mineing camp wanted to take his picture when he rode through. Also he is left handed unless the negative is turned around?
If the negative had been reversed, that would mean the signage on the tent was backwards in reality.

Being as I am left-handed myself, that was the first thing I noticed about the photo. I also recalled the well-known "photograph" of Billy the kid, which was in fact a mirror image, but gave rise to the popular myth of him being left-handed.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I yam embarassed, I shoulda noticed that!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Unless I'm mistaken, He's wearing the pistol butt-forward, cross-draw fashion. It would work just fine for mounted carry. Can't account for the long cartridge loops/cartridges in the belt though. The saddle is from the late 1880s, would be my surmise, and the rest of the outfit fits right in, with a woolen shirt and gauntlets. The gloves look to be on the heavy side...

That's an adobe wall behind the sutler's tent, which hints Arizona, New Mexico or Texas to me. A rawhide reata and a flat-brimmed hat round out the deal.

And the HORSE... A hammer-headed bronc if ever one was foaled, fer certain. He'd be lucky to be able to drink from a wash-tub...

I'm guessing the sign says, "LOOMIS & MARKEY" but the names don't ring a very loud bell for me right now.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I can’t tell if it’s two ammo belts or one double row belt... Notice how the buckle looks to be part of the holster..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Looks more like 2 belts, in your blow-up... The billet on the bottom one sits out in front of or over the holster, in this view.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
CarlsenHighway
Levergunner

Post by CarlsenHighway »

He could be a market hunter? That was big business in the '80's and 90's?

On the other hand the photographer guy comes through camp, the fellow decides he'll have his photo taken, and says hang on let me go and get my new guns and put them on while you set up that camera.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

That horses mother must have ruptured herself giving birth to that head :lol:
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I enjoy the discussion as much as I enjoy the old pictures. Thanks for both.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

8) 8) 8)
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Well, I will put my 2 cents in. I thinks he is a LEO of some kind. Maybe a Arizona or Texas ranger. He has a scout belt on or it could be two belts. Anyone that took that much ammo was not going on a short trip. I don't think he is a hunter of game. He is out for men some where in the Southwest. I don't think we will know for sure. Many rangers slide there cartridge belts around for photos. Who knows but it is a great photo.
"That'll Be The Day"
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

rangerider7 wrote:....... Many rangers slide there cartridge belts around for photos.....
I don't believe they do it for photos, I believe they carry that way. Its much easier to reach with the cartriges in front. The cartridges also don't rub on the saddle cantle when in front (or your truck seat or chairs). I tend to carry pistol rounds on the back, and if I add a rifle cartridge belt over it, it gets buckled in back or to the side so the rounds are easy to reach and use.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Gee, nobody said anything about the '73 Winchester carbine or the pearl handled pistol - Colt? Do we deduce he is left handed because his lasso is tied to the left side of the saddle? We're beginning to become detectives here on this site. I love it!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Buck Elliott wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, He's wearing the pistol butt-forward, cross-draw fashion. It would work just fine for mounted carry. Can't account for the long cartridge loops/cartridges in the belt though. The saddle is from the late 1880s, would be my surmise, and the rest of the outfit fits right in, with a woolen shirt and gauntlets. The gloves look to be on the heavy side...

That's an adobe wall behind the sutler's tent, which hints Arizona, New Mexico or Texas to me. A rawhide reata and a flat-brimmed hat round out the deal.

And the HORSE... A hammer-headed bronc if ever one was foaled, fer certain. He'd be lucky to be able to drink from a wash-tub...

I'm guessing the sign says, "LOOMIS & MARKEY" but the names don't ring a very loud bell for me right now.
double post, what the heck?
Last edited by pokey on Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Buck Elliott wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, He's wearing the pistol butt-forward, cross-draw fashion. It would work just fine for mounted carry. Can't account for the long cartridge loops/cartridges in the belt though. The saddle is from the late 1880s, would be my surmise, and the rest of the outfit fits right in, with a woolen shirt and gauntlets. The gloves look to be on the heavy side...

try this again.
i agree mostly with buck, what do you bet the bottom word on the tent is photographers?
also i'll say southpaw or his catch rope would be on the other side of his saddle.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

He looks to be the real deal!

8)