Opinions on good bullets for game in a .243

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Opinions on good bullets for game in a .243

Post by shooter »

I haven't loaded for my .243 yet, and I want to find some good bullets to use on game. On the last Mule deer I shot, I was using the cheap Winchester box ammo with the soft point they have. I recovered the bullet, and was pleasantly surprised that the bullet had retained about 80-85% of it's original weight. The thing I wasn't all that happy with was the penetration. I don't know if this is just indicative of the .243 round, or if there are better performing bullets out there. I'm sure there are, I just want some opinions on which ones.

I want to get started reloading for the .243 and work up some acceptable loads with premium bullets. I would like to stay as economical as I can, but realize that premium bullets are named as such for a reason. I've thought about trying Barnes X or TSX bullets, but those are a little pricey to "try". If I buy them I want to have some strong recommendations first. I know there are the Nosler and Speer premium bullets out there and they are a little lighter on the pocket book.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Opinions on good bullets for game in a .243

Post by TedH »

Second biggest buck I've killed fell to a 100 gr. Speer Grand Slam. I thought it performed very well for it's size.
NRA Life Member
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

You might also like the Swift Scirocco and the Nosler Partition bullets. I have a friend who uses the Remington Core Lokt in 100 grain and has had great success. Hope you have fun finding out which bullet works best in your rifle.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Thanks, piller. I'm sure I will have fun :D I've been trying to make it to the range once a week, and this is my newest little project I'm working on. After I order new sights for my guide gun I will move on to it in short order.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
243dave
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 243dave »

100gr speer grand-slams is my favorite.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Don't be afraid to try the Barnes, we're stuck with them in California but they shoot more accurately and I HEAR they are wicked on game. I was reading about the Federal Premium load in .243 on the Midway site, one hunter said that the Barnes bullet left a 3 inch exit wound in his deer. I just ordered the Federal ammo to take hunting.

I hope to have a report on bullet performance later this summer but it's tough finding a buck out here.

If you want to work on a load, hint - 3 round groups are sufficient for testing, you can probably get a box of 50 and have at least 20 rounds to hunt with.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

A friend of mine has shot 30+ of the smallish deer around here with corelokts and thinks they are great.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Here's a short report I did back in 2008 on Barnes bullets in .270 and .243.

I like the little 85gr TSX and it's what I load for.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I've shot a good many antelope,deer and elk with the Hornady interloc, and the Remington corloct 100 gr bullets.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I just used Hornady and Speer cup and cor offerings with good results on about 8 deer including big'ns.

What I will say a Remington 700 barrel would turn the 100grn hornady into a varmint bullet!
The same bullet in a Vanguard would work perfectly! (less rifling in the vanguard).

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

The only 243 bullet I have ever used is the Sierra ProHunter 100 grainer. It works very well so I never had any motivation to try something else. It really hammers deer and turns off bobcats and coyotes like flipping a switch.

The factory Remington CoreLokt 100 grain loads have done well for people I know.
Last edited by Dave on Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Don McDowell wrote:I've shot a good many antelope,deer and elk with the Hornady interloc, and the Remington corloct 100 gr bullets.
Yep, for this caliber, IMHO the Hornady Interlockt and Reming Core Loct are both dandy bullets.

Why pay more when these get the job done and are accurate? Dead is dead.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I used the Nosler Partition for years in the .243 with nary a complaint.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

So,...Basically it sounds like the .243 is one Helluva cartridge and bullet selection is as easy as throwing a dart..?

:shock: :wink: :wink:
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Its odd but for myself (for deer) I have found the 85 GR Sierra GameKing BTHP at about 3350 fps works the best for me.It just seems to immediately drop them where they stand!
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Thanks all for the replies. I think I may get some Hornady Interlocs or Sierras, or maybe some Nosler Partitions to start out with and see how they perform this season. I don't really have any complaints about the factory bullets I've used so far, I'm just kinda looking for a new project to work on. I may try some Barnes next season if I don't like what I try this year.
243dave
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 243dave »

Back about 20-25 years ago I used factory loaded remington 100gr core-lokts exclusively before I started reloading. They always killed but when I shot deer thru the lungs they always ran 100-150yds before piling up and at times the exit wounds were so small I couldn't put my pinky finger in it. I always considered the core-lokts a little too tough and didn't expand as good as they should. Perhaps I'm wrong and they are not like that anymore. They never failed me but I always wanted a little bit more expansion. I like at least a quarter-size exit hole . Dave
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Sierra Pro Hunters should give you that.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

deerwhacker444 wrote:So,...Basically it sounds like the .243 is one Helluva cartridge and bullet selection is as easy as throwing a dart..?

:shock: :wink: :wink:

:lol: - As a counterpoint, I dont have a lot of confidence in it anymore for anything bigger than a pronghorn. So for me , the best box of .243 bullets is the one that stays in the range bag, I'll take a .270 (or a .30-30 :) )

But my comment is not meant to take away anything at all from those who have had excellent results with the cartridge
----- Doug
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Most Texas deer (excluding the high fence) are rather smallish. The hill country deer are very small and a .223 will do.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

243dave wrote:Back about 20-25 years ago I used factory loaded remington 100gr core-lokts exclusively before I started reloading. They always killed but when I shot deer thru the lungs they always ran 100-150yds before piling up and at times the exit wounds were so small I couldn't put my pinky finger in it. I always considered the core-lokts a little too tough and didn't expand as good as they should. Perhaps I'm wrong and they are not like that anymore. They never failed me but I always wanted a little bit more expansion. I like at least a quarter-size exit hole . Dave
Norma had a problem with to tough a bullet a few years back! next to no expansion.

N
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

madman4570 wrote:Its odd but for myself (for deer) I have found the 85 GR Sierra GameKing BTHP at about 3350 fps works the best for me.It just seems to immediately drop them where they stand!

243 Win was developed around 85grn so I read once!

70grn Speer TNT's were very good too!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

For deer sized or smaller, the .243 does well. It is just one of many useful cartridges that we get to have the fun of using. I would rather spend a day at the range or hunting appropriate game with my least favorite cartridge than spend a day working.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost