PMC 40-65 wcf ammo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

PMC 40-65 wcf ammo

Post by longarm4146 »

needed some more brass and found out that Track of the Wolf was selling this for $9.99 a box plus flat rate shippin...real good deal.....took one round apart to see what the diameter of the 265 gr bullet was (expecting .406 or so) and found it was .420, a little large for my just relined 110 yr old '86......got the brass (Staraline) and I guess I may re-size bullets to .408.....anyone else tried them :shock:

UPDATE: good news, bullets are .405s....i failed to re-zero my mic after letting my son use it last week....gonna shoot'em up after all.
Last edited by longarm4146 on Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SASS 4146
BOLD 199
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

.420??? Sure your mic is right? There is no way a bullet of that size would enter the chamber of any 40-65, and I've had a few of 'em and messed with even more. -------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

The 6 boxes of the stuff I bought didn't have bullets that large. If they had of they wouldn't of chambered in the gun. I didn't measure any of the bullets but they were definetly 408 or smaller as they leaded this green mtn barrel pretty bad.
But even if you pulled all the bullets , dumped the powder in the rose bed, and melted the lead into something more useful, that's still a terrific price for the brass.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

The brass is much heavier (less internal capacity) than say resized WW 45-70 brass. Use caution working up loads.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longarm4146 »

gonna pull some more of them from each box to double check.....nver had a problem with mic but will look at it again.....to say I was shocked is an understatement as i had to polish the old chamber on my '86 so it would smoothly chamber the Buff Bro 408 bullets.......the bottom line is the brass is worth about what I paid for the ammo and that was the point.
Haven't tried to chamber any of these as my only 40-65 is off for a face-lift (re color case and rust blueing)

not worried about working up loads as I plan to stay in the 1100-1200 fps range......gonna use this vintage'86 in some SASS side matches and a little white-tail hunting in the fall.....
SASS 4146
BOLD 199