Great old western cabinet photo! Identified!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Re: Great old western cabinet photo! Identified!

Post by Buck Elliott »

doubt the photos were made on the same day... Plenty of time to rearrange for the picture taker...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I have owned or seen many photos of Walter Durbin. He has worn his knife, pearl handled 5 1/2 Colt SAA and cartridge belt every which way a man can. It could have been how he felt at the time or just to show them off for the camera. It also could have been for the situation. If on horseback he might have it at cross-draw. If getting ready for a gun battle he might have put his cartridges in front. If on foot in camp he have his colt on his strong side and knife on his left for cross draw with cartridge belt buckled in front so he could take it off easier. I have seen them every way I have described. I personally think it was for the camera. I have one where he has a Colt Lighting in his belt along with the rest. Who knows but it is fun to guess. :)
Last edited by rangerider7 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That'll Be The Day"
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Outstanding work guys. Really enjoyable to read this thread.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

As for the saddle.... Thousands of tons of cattle were roped from rigs just like the one in the photo... "Hard & fast" was the only option, with a horn like that. NO room for dallies at all, but as someone mentioned, there doesn't seem to be a rope on that kack... at least not where we can see it.

All in all, a great study of the man, his job and his time...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Buck Elliott wrote: All in all, a great study of the man, his job and his time...
+1, really enjoyed this thread :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I looked at the group photo again and it strikes me odd none of the guys have a badge exposed. Rr7, is that a common theme amongst the Rangers?
Old Law Dawg
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I don't recall when the Rangers started wearing the wheel star, but it was fairly late, maybe close tot the turn of the century. Prior to that most didn't wear a badge much.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

When the Frontier Battalion and Special Force were formed in 1874, it was difficult for Texas Rangers to establish their authority. The State of Texas Adjutant General's Office began issuing Warrants of Authority -- impressive paper documents kept folded in their pockets. This practice continued, in one form or another, until 1935 when badges and credentials were specified for all Texas Rangers. Some rangers like Durbin had jewelers make them badges. I have seen a photo of Durbin, with Wood Saunders made in the 1890s, wearing a badge. I would have put a photo of a "Warrant of Authority and Descriptive list" but Photobucket seems not to be uploading right now. I will add it later if it starts working.
"That'll Be The Day"
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I've seen interviews from turn of the century Rangers who stated they kept their badges in their pockets. They did not want anyone to know what they were up to until it was time to do business.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

That ole boy has rode a range or two, the boots and that classic mustache ,only thing looks wrong to me is the placement of the knife, may have been just done like that for the photo.
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

C. Cash wrote:I've seen interviews from turn of the century Rangers who stated they kept their badges in their pockets. They did not want anyone to know what they were up to until it was time to do business.
I noticed in the movie, Cahill, U.S. Marshal, John Wayne would only put on his badge right before he arrested someone. Makes sense for someone working alone to be as stealthy as possible up until confronting a bad guy.
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

very cool old pics more if you have them sir.