Winchester 94 sight options

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Winchester 94 sight options

Post by Bigahh »

I am at that age where I am starting to have a bit of difficulty seeing the semi buckhorn sights on my 1951 model 94. I have been thinking whether I should D&T the rifle to put a peep on it, but I am hesitant to do that. I am trying to find a nice Fiber Optic front and rear sight, but I am not sure which one I would really like without looking at it in person. Does anyone use a Fiber optic open sight? Which kind? Can you see better with it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I did happen to see one online that appealed to me, but it was not for the 94 carbine.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Winchester 94 sight options

Post by Malamute »

I'm of the opinion that guns should work for you. If you need a receiver peep, drill and tap it. It only makes a difference if you are goung to sell it. I've drilled and tapped various guns worth much more than post war 94's without the slightest hesitation. Sights, sling mounts, whatever. If they don't do what I need them to, I have little use for them. I have a 1902 reciever that's going to get drilled and tapped for a reciever sight. I did an original 1886 once, and several Brownings. No regrets on any of them.

Fibre optic sights may help, but a peep can be tuned to give a clear sight picture.

If you do drill and tap it, I'd suggest getting a Weaver side mount for a guide in setting up the holes, that way you can use the mount later if you want to. I had a screw made to fit the early type small lever pin plug screw hole and scope mount so I can mount a "post 64" Weaver side mount on a pre-64 gun that's drilled and tapped for a reciever sight with no mods to the gun required. Side mounts are a bit weird to get used to, but they work.

A nice older Lyman No 56 receiver peep sight can still look very at home on a 94 of your's vintage, as would a steel Lyman No 66.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

There are good "peep" aperture sights available - my 84 year old eyes do fine with the Williams FP kind - does require a slightly taller front sight but, the XS white stripe 0.5" front sight is easy to mount and to see.

My Winchester 94 in 30-30 made in 1968 was drilled and tapped for the Williams FP94-36 -

Front sight -

My Winchester 95 in 30-06 did need D/T for the FP71 rear sight -

front sight -

They even make a FPGR aperture sight that attaches to the scope grooves on rimfires - as my Browning BL22 shows -

I remove the aperture to make it a ghost ring - just hadn't got around to it on my 94 when I took the pic.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

I think the name is Skinner . ? not real sure it's what you are looking for, but the reviews I have read and the photos I've seen, seem to me like it would be the best if I wanted one. And it fits the rifle much better , plus appears like it belongs . Just my 2 cents . Maybe some one else will came along with new ideas .

......................Mutt
greyowl
Levergunner

Post by greyowl »

Check out Skinner sights. There are a couple different versions. One that would require no drilling is mounted in the buckhorn dovetail. That might help you focus enough without doing anything to the rifle you can't undo. Good luck.
Shooting is the national passtime/ walk softly and carry a big stick
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Bigah, from around the mid 1950's Winchester 94's were produced with holes already drilled and tapped for receiver sights. Even the angle-eject versions have plugged holes that can be used to mount aftermarket sights without any drilling or tapping. You didn't say what vintage your 94 is. No matter. just look on the side of the receiver opposite the loading gate. If you see two little screws about a half-inch down from the top of the receiver, just ahead of the hammer, those are screws that the factory put in to plug holes that you use to mount typical Lyman or Williams receiver sights--just like in the photos that COsteve and OJ have posted. Prewar 94's weren't drilled and tapped at the factory but those two holes are no trick for any competent gunsmith to put in. Then you can put the sight of your choice on, but you may have to change the front sight as well.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

As long as I am able to find a comparable gun that already has the D&T, preferably from the factory, I'm of the opinion that I generally would rather not detract from the value of anything. Guns last longer than people if you care for them properly, so I'm not so much an "owner" as a caretaker for my time. I'd rather pass it on in it's best possible condition. Assuming, again, that I can get what I want some other way.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

You don't have to subject that 1951 to a D/T'ing................................

Cablea's sells a set of fiber optic barrel open sights ($30) which are a direct replacement for your rifle's issue sights. (although I installed them on a Henry)

Image Image

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... jsp.form23

OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

As long as I am able to find a comparable gun that already has the D&T, preferably from the factory, I'm of the opinion that I generally would rather not detract from the value of anything. Guns last longer than people if you care for them properly, so I'm not so much an "owner" as a caretaker for my time. I'd rather pass it on in it's best possible condition. Assuming, again, that I can get what I want some other way.
Maybe my outlook is on the selfish side but, I regard my guns as my personal stuff and I'll do what I want to them just to suit me - once I cash in my chips, whoever gets those guns can do whatever he/she wants - I suspect I'll be involved in other activities - don't have as much experience stoking furnaces as I do with musical instruments - maybe that'll work out in my favor - :roll:

I must admit, I had to twist the arm of my gunsmith to mount those aperture sights on the Winchester 94 & 95 and, seemed to be wiping his eyes of something clear liquid but - my wife is the one who gave me the Winchester 95 Hi Grade 30-06 for our 25th anniversary 5 years ago and she only smiles and is happy when I take it to the range - all she got was a little ring and she still thinks she got the best of the deal - women - gotta love'em.

Those sights have really kept me in the game with my 84 year old eyes - when I got the 95 sights mounted, I zeroed them to hit POA at 25 yards and hit 2" above the Point Of Aim at 100 yards - like this -

Done with less than one box of 20 rounds - I've never felt I was an expert but an average shooter who shoots every week. I've never shot "bench rest" - those shots were from "fist rest" - fist resting on able and fore end of rifle resting on fist.

The unpaired shots were off hand after zeroing.
:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER