Win 94 Trapper in 30-30?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Win 94 Trapper in 30-30?

Post by Nate C. »

I was in a local pawn shop the other day and while looking over the merchandise I noticed a Trapper-length (16") Winchester model 94. I was surprised to find this was chambered in 30-30, rather than the expected pistol caliber.

I didn't even know Winchester made the Trapper length leverguns in 30-30. Any thoughts?
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Win 94 Trapper in 30-30?

Post by Stan in SC »

I had one years ago and really liked it.Wished I had never sold it.Then last December I happened upon another one in a shop and bought it.Just as happy with this one as the previous one.They are accurate and just handier than a pocket on a shirt.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

I had one in the early 1980's. I traded it away for a 44 magnum version, which I still have. I should have bought the 44 outright, and kept the 30-30 as well. It shot very well. In retrospect the only real reason I let it go was because I had another 30-30 with a longer barrel, and felt at the time that my 30-30 needs were satisfied. As life progresses, I have come to the conclusion that you can never really have too many 30-30's.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

They made them in top eject in the very late '70s thru '82. Edit: They also made them in the (gasp!) AE models after that! The TE one's are great! I guess if you can stand the AE, they are also! :twisted: I have one that was made up of parts with that vintage barrel. It's a great shooter and is my carry gun when I'm home. Haven't kilt anything with it yet... but it's only a matter of time before one of those coyotes comes around when I am!

They've got quite a bark, and if my sightin' in and plinkin' sessions are any indication it has quite a bite! Plinkin' at 12" targets @ 200 yards is plumb easy. @300 it's a little more difficult with the iron sights, a rest is almost mandatory... and beyond... well... my eyesight and the sights don't mix anymore!

Yea guys, I know... but I just can't help it... this is just the prettiest '94 I own!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I'm another one of those idiots who had one and never should of sold it. Mine was a top eject that came with a Williams peep sight and I was able to shoot 1 1/4", 100 yard groups with it. The receiver had rusted and been painted prior to me getting it and Hoppes trashed the paint when I was cleaning. It looked really bad. So I sold it off like a dumbchit. Today I would of Duracoated it and called it good.

For a .30-30 they do have a substantial kick to em.

LK
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I recently saw a pre-extra safety AE trapper in 30-30 at local pawnshop. It was in pretty good shape, but I already built my son and me trappers and didn't need to part with the cash for an itch that's been scratched.

Our trappers get more work than the other long guns in the cabinet by far.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Griff, I like the looks of that one!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I traded a Dan Wesson for a TE 94 Trapper 30-30 in 1980. I still have it. It is one of three lever guns I WILL NOT part with.
When the bottom fell out in the late 90s and I had to sell most of my guns, and all but one of my 30-30s, it is the one I kept.
Early on I got a trigger job done to it, put a Williams FP 94/36 on it and found it to be a great little lever gun.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Yep I was an idiot too, I had one years ago that shot sub 2" all the time at 100 and traded it. The last one was garbage! Made just before the shut down.

The first one had a cross bolt safty and the poor rebounding hammer but it was a good shooter, I pulled some good shots off with it.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'm one of those idiots that got their .30-30 Trapper in a trade. ;)

I swapped a perfectly good knofe, even, for this 1978 version, about three years ago. :shock:

At least, the knife was a Randall, though................... :roll:

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Pete,

That pretty much looks like mine except you got a Lyman and I have a Williams rear sight. Very good sight set up.

Winchester made a big mistake eliminating those side mount holes.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

I got mine.

Mine is special. somebody with VERY SPECIAL ideas had it altered, I presume by a real expert.

Its a Trapper in .30/30, with the action smoothed up, a BIG fluorescent, broad Plastic translucent BLADE sight, rear sight opened up accordingly, a trigger job and a Pachmayr recoil pad installed, with the top in Leather for quick and easy shouldering.

Something like a New York Carbine, copyright Jeff Cooper, perhaps commissioned by a bad guy ...

Shot a Boar with it ...

But I shure would like one in .44 Mag, too!!

Mine is TE and of course, as every single of mz LAs, without safety!!

Hermann
encore4me
Levergunner

Post by encore4me »

Got one in 30-30 and .44mag! Nice little guns. The 30-30 came with a real big lever, I traded that off for a regular one and like it better.

Matt
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hermann,

Can you post a pic of that Trapper? Your description makes it sound very interesting.

Joe
crystal river charli
Levergunner 1.0

Post by crystal river charli »

This one is mine. 94AE Trapper 30-30

Charlie
I'm getting old. In my old age I find I long for the guns of my youth.
Revolvers and 1911's were the handguns of my youth.
I know them and I trust them.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

I still have mine, '77 top eject. I traded a Remington .30-'06 Sportsman auto even up at a Corpus Christ gun show. I will not make the mistake of parting with it. I have taken several animals with it and it is as accurate as any levergun in my possession.

TomF
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

I have a 30-30 Trapper AE. I love this gun it is a real shooter.
My Buddy also likes it he tried to con it out of me for his wedding present.
Nope not gonna happen. Here is a pic of him at his wedding with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
stinkycat
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stinkycat »

Made this one up a couple years ago, barrel is cut down from a browning hiwall in 300 short mag.Image
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Here's mine!

... and my other one...

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

here's mine.
trapper2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Pete44ru wrote:I'm one of those idiots that got their .30-30 Trapper in a trade. ;)

I swapped a perfectly good knofe, even, for this 1978 version, about three years ago. :shock:

At least, the knife was a Randall, though................... :roll:

That trapper looks exactly like the one I used to have, except I had a Williams receiver sight, not Lyman. Both of those 94's look nice, Pete. Randall or not, I think you got the best of the deal.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

+1 to those who have said they've got quite a bark and bite--as .30-30s go. Those 4" do make a difference. The "pistol" caliber 94s and 92s make more ultimate sense as trappers--in terms of capacity and overall utility IMO. The 20" .30-30 carbines are my primary field and range go-to's and the type I'd have of the caliber if I could just have one.

However, I can't argue the. trappers aren't handy and charming as all get out...and I certainly don't plan on letting my 1979 go! They're the perfect truck gun where you need this cartridge over a pistol type.

The trapper one of my sentimental favorites for some reason. Maybe it's the fact Winchester had finally started to make nice guns again, combined with the rare trapper configuration with this caliber combo. To top it off, these late 70s/early 80s top-eject trappers were complete with the "correct" historical equipment: a saddle ring and front post sight borrowed from the last regular production ones made...which means dating all the way back to pre WWII. All these newer ones are missing is a proper carbine buttstock to complete the picture and that's fixable (as at least one poster has and I keep cogitating on). Those pre-war guns--along with their '92 and of course '73 counterparts--are among the rarest/most sought after and hightest priced of all Winchesters.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

How to make a huge fire ball with your Win 94 30-30 trapper.

A: Take empty cases, size and prime them.
B: Look up load for IMR 3031 powder in the 1980ish issue of the Lyman load book for a 110gr 30 M1 bullet.
C: Load the max charge of IMR3031 under said bullet.
D: Shoot this load at night or in a dark area.

SHAZAAAAAAAM!!! you have just made a fire ball of impressive proportions that has a not so subtle blast to match. Not only that, the little M1 bullet is traveling so fast it sparks when it hits things at night. Just like in the Hollyweird movies.

Joe
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

I have got the itch. I may just have to go get it. Without knowing if it is a top-eject or an AE, what would be a fair price for it? It's in a pawnshop, and they had it priced around 450 or 475 I think.
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

That sounds a bit high, but that may be the going rate now.

I like the handiness of the short guns, but as was mentioned, the muzzle blast is noticably louder than a 20" carbine. I had a spare barrel cut down for a pre-war carbine, it's handy, and makes a good truck gun, but I don't shoot it much, its a bit loud for me to really enjoy shooting it.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I don't shoot my rifles w/o ear muffs. I've lost too much hearing to do that. With hearing protection I find the blast of the Trapper 30-30s not the least unpleasant. With out ear protection I'm sure it would be otherwise.

Joe
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I don't shoot without ear protection either, even to make a shot when hunting. I've also lost a fair bit of hearing. I usually use plugs, as I always have them in my pocket 24/7/365. I can tell the difference with plugs, the 20" guns are very pleasant to me to shoot, the 16" guns not so much. My ealier post was just pointing out that there is a noticable difference.

I own ear muffs, but they seem to be buried somewhere in my truck when I need them, the plugs are always there in my pocket, with a dozen pack of spares in the glove box if I lose some.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I usually use plugs, as I always have them in my pocket 24/7/365.
Me, too.
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

OK... they're all great... BUT... I'd like to see some more pics of Griffs! :D
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Malamute wrote:I don't shoot without ear protection either, even to make a shot when hunting. I've also lost a fair bit of hearing. I usually use plugs, as I always have them in my pocket 24/7/365. I can tell the difference with plugs, the 20" guns are very pleasant to me to shoot, the 16" guns not so much. My ealier post was just pointing out that there is a noticable difference.

I own ear muffs, but they seem to be buried somewhere in my truck when I need them, the plugs are always there in my pocket, with a dozen pack of spares in the glove box if I lose some.
My hearing was great before I got married it has nothing to do with my short guns?
But I hear you I have three sets of muffs and can never find them when I need them. But I rather use muffs as I hate to stick things in my ears! Something about the plugs drives me nuts! I hate them but will use them if it's all I have, as I have a box full from work they give to us but I where muffs most of the time.
I have a ported Ruger I bought second hand in 350 Rem Mag with a 22'' Barrel I think I will take the chop saw to it and recrown it myself so I can live with it.