My Newest .45-70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

My Newest .45-70

Post by Swampman »

The light was really bad but here's a pic. It doesn't do the stock justice. This H&R was made at the Remington plant in NY.

"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Hobie

Re: My Newest .45-70

Post by Hobie »

I'm really trying not to nit-pick but my thought is always I wish they made a steel trigger guard...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I'm with Hobie, but dang, that's NICE!!! :shock:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Well mine cost $200.00 so I can live with plastic. The Remington 870 Express, some Model 700s, and the Marlin 60 use plastic triggerguards.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Nice :mrgreen: Are you gonna leave it in 45-70 or punch it out to 45-110 like the others on GBO?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

2X22 wrote:I'm with Hobie, but dang, that's NICE!!! :shock:

2x22
The wood is gorgeous!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Swampman wrote:Well mine cost $200.00 so I can live with plastic. The Remington 870 Express, some Model 700s, and the Marlin 60 use plastic triggerguards.
I know, I don't like those either....
Sincerely,

Hobie

Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Unless you're using blackpowder anything over .45-90 is a waste of time. I'll probably just keep it like it is.

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Swampman wrote:Unless you're using blackpowder anything over .45-90 is a waste of time. I'll probably just keep it like it is.
I don't know some of those guys are getting impressive velocity with lower pressure with the 110. Personally I don't see what can't be done with the 45-70 and 500gr pills @ 1200fps
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I hope it shoots well for you. Should be a dandy in those FL thickets. Tom. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nice - What model is that ? Is it the latest standard Handi, or some sort of Deluxe ?

Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

It's a standard Handi with a Topper Deluxe Classic walnut stock set that I bought from H&R.

Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Nice thing about plastic trigger guard is that you can whack it off quickly with a Dremel and add another.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Swampy that some really nice wood. I guess I'm gonna have to break down and buy a couple of sets for mine. It would take two cause I could never decide weather to put it on the .30-30 or the .44 Mag.

What really makes me mad is that I bought a TDC in 12 ga a few years ago and my wood didn't come checkered. At the time I also didn't know it was supposed to.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I ran about 30 some rounds through my .45-70 today. The new Nikon Prostaff 2-7X32 tracked real well (as usual) and I used some Winchester 300 grainers to get her on paper. I don't like them, but they were very accurate. My goal was to slightly exceed the Remington 405 grain factory load and I was using Starline nickle cases, CCI LR Primers, Remington 405 bullets, and 34 grains of IMR-4198. The recoil felt exactly like the Winchester 300 grain factory load and the trajectory was close enough that I could shoot my handloads or the Winchester 300s without changing my scope settings. I don't have a crony but the recoil is a little more than the Remington 405 factory load and 3 shots went 3/4" at 50 yards and a little more than 1" 100 yards.

Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Very nice! That checkering pattern has a definite "Remington" look to it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Chas. wrote:Image
THAT is beautiful... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Swampman,

i believe that is the nicest looking wood I've ever seen on a Handi-Rifle.

AA few years ago, I'd have nit-picked about the scope, but since my vision has gone to the devil I won't grumble about anything that helps a feller see his target.

What part of NW Florida do you call home? If it is near enough we can meet convienently and I can find the derned things, I'll give you some 510 gr. hardcast bullets to try. FWIW, a few years ago, Jon Erdmann used some of them to win the Montana BPCR long Raange Championship.

Also, FWIW, I liike the foream of the Buffalo Classic better than the plain forearm of the Handi-Rifle, but the price is unbeatable.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Very nice "Swampman". The scope looks good on it too. Great caliber too. That .45-70 is all you'll probably ever need.

"Chas." - Nice upgrades and done tastefully too.
ED
Yer never too old
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I have one of those 45-70 Handi's but with the not so pretty black synthetic stock.
Dont worry about that trigger guard one bit, doesnt effect anything.
If it ever breaks(it wont)H&R will replace free
If it ever does bug you that it aint steel-----------
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... mpaign=649
Mine shoots as good as my 45-70 Ruger#1 any day of the week and carries afield better!
I like that one you have------------PURDY :mrgreen:
$200-----------What a bargain!
$229-----------Steel trigger guard-------------Still a Bargain! :mrgreen:
Or
Call H&R and ask them to please send you a metal one(swap) cause you are showing everyone how nice yours is but that darn plastic trigger guard is swaying some people away from buying one. (not me though :wink: )Thats about the nicest looking Handi I have ever seen and made in the good ole USA
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Hobie wrote:I'm really trying not to nit-pick but my thought is always I wish they made a steel trigger guard...
There is a guy on Graybeard Outdoors that is taking orders for blued steel triggerguards and forearm spacers. They are very nice looking.

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Thanks,
Cool, will order them.(though the stock ones would last also)but hey why not get the steel ones?
Hey Swampman, last week I had my little black synthetic Handi 45-70 out shooting and put 10rds of those Conley
405 gr (at 2150fps :shock: ) through each of the Handi and also 10 through my 1969 Ruger #1 45-70

Both similar scopes, I shot 2 sets of 5 for each.
Ist group session the Ruger only beat it (group size) by 3/8 of a inch.(1 3/8 compared to 1 6/8) I can atribute this to a slightly better trigger pull and a tad less recoil.

Now :D the next session a half hour later (after the shoulder got some feeling back in it :lol: )that Dandy little Handy BEAT the Ruger #1 buy a half inch. (1 1/8 compared to 1 5/8)
Both guns handled those (suto .450/.400 Nitro Express Loads just Handy Dany)
Considering the shove(each)gun gives I thought both guns did excellent though I expected the Ruger to do "a tad better than it did"
Also I before quiting for the day grabed a big rock about the size of two kleenex boxes(one on top of the other)then opened up another box of Conley 405 stuff($$) and blasted it with the Handi.
It made the biggest puff of smoke from a rock shot with a gun I have ever seen. Nothing left of the rock but (about nothing)

Those Handi's are raelly somthing,in fact couple months back while reading my Sports and Field magazine that in it they had a article on Best Shotguns.
They said the ultra Hunter Handi ( is the best value for the dollar of "any shotgun on the market period")
Last edited by madman4570 on Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

nice lookin shooter
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

Very nice rifle !! I'm seeing a 400 grain hard cast WFN at about 1500 fps, and lots of dead moose, elk, bear, and about anything else you can imagine !!
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts