OT - Trade schools

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

OT - Trade schools

Post by Gun Smith »

I was wondering, how many users of this site are graduates of Gunsmithing trade schools?
I graduated in 1955 from Lassen Junior College Gunsmithing program. I am the only one from my class that ever worked as a professional gunsmith. I was in the trade from 1955 until 1963 when I left and went into the construction business.
At that time there were three schools in the U.S. with a trade program. one in Colorado, one in Missoula, Montana and mine in Susanville, California.
Who else on the forum has had trade training at the many schools in the U.S. ?
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: OT - Trade schools

Post by Terry Murbach »

IF I REMEMBER RIGHT THE GUNSMITHING SCHOOL IN PITTSBURGH PA. PRE-DATES ALL THOSE SCHOOLS BY A CONSIDERABLE SPAN OF TIME. BUT THEN I CANNOT REMEMBER WHAT THE DICKENS I HAD FOR BREAKFAST THIS MORNING.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I ALMOST went to Trinidad but went into the army instead.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I have an Associate degree in gunsmithing from Lassen in 1980.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I wanted so bad, to go to the gun smith school in Colo. Back in the 90's but I had my own construction business and a growing family, there was no way I could swing it. So I enrolled in a mail correspondence course with "Modern Gun Repair School" got both of there diplomas for the Basic and Master course. I made the most of it and luckily already had or had access to most of the firearms outlined in the different courses, so I was able to keep it all hands on and picked every lesson apart!
I'm sure it was no comparison to a trade school, but I have to say I was able to get the most I could out of it.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
stinkycat
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stinkycat »

Pennsylvania gunsmithing school 1991. Wish I had gone right after high school instead of waiting till my back was destroyed. Live and learn!
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Terry, I remember now that there was a Pennsylvania School of Gunsmithing.

jnyork, Do you remember the Joy Realty office on main St. I built that for my model home display as a dealer for Justus Cedar Homes in the mid 70's. I also did the Robbins House of Furniture remodel. We moved to Florence, Oregon in 2007 from 33 years in Susanville.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I took a gunsmithing certificate course at a community college while I was in the service.

I do everything but the "industrial" work on my own guns.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Terry Murbach wrote:IF I REMEMBER RIGHT THE GUNSMITHING SCHOOL IN PITTSBURGH PA. PRE-DATES ALL THOSE SCHOOLS BY A CONSIDERABLE SPAN OF TIME. BUT THEN I CANNOT REMEMBER WHAT THE DICKENS I HAD FOR BREAKFAST THIS MORNING.
Terry, just check your beard and see if there's eggs or oatmeal in there today.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I took the Colorado School of Trade Gunsmith course back in 1989 and had a hell of a time.I met sime really great people from all over the world.The course was excellent and I was in gun heaven and I made a lot of good freinds and met some interesting characters.The course was well laid out and started by learning you some basic hand filing skills,then stock and metal refinishing,custom stock building and finally repair work.I had planned on openingmy own shop when I got back to Canada but by the time I finished the course the Gun laws here were changing for the worse so I used the skills I learned to build custom muzzleloaders for myself and to work on my own guns.Taking the course was one of the best experiences of my life.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

El Chivo wrote:
Terry Murbach wrote:IF I REMEMBER RIGHT THE GUNSMITHING SCHOOL IN PITTSBURGH PA. PRE-DATES ALL THOSE SCHOOLS BY A CONSIDERABLE SPAN OF TIME. BUT THEN I CANNOT REMEMBER WHAT THE DICKENS I HAD FOR BREAKFAST THIS MORNING.
Terry, just check your beard and see if there's eggs or oatmeal in there today.
OH....IT WAS GRITS AND HASH...
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Gun Smith wrote: .

jnyork, Do you remember the Joy Realty office on main St. I built that for my model home display as a dealer for Justus Cedar Homes in the mid 70's. I also did the Robbins House of Furniture remodel. We moved to Florence, Oregon in 2007 from 33 years in Susanville.
Yeah, I remember those places. My wife is from Susanville, her parents owned and operated Walker's Restaurant for about 40 years.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Went to the armys school at aberdeen maryland then started building XM-21s and accuracy work on service weapons for rifle and pistol teams. I work on friends and families stuff now mostly in the winter time. danny