HELP...MY HOUSE STINKS!!!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

HELP...MY HOUSE STINKS!!!!!

Post by JNG »

Three nights ago my wife let our dog out, to our dismay a skunk was on the pourch a few feet from the door.
Well, he let go. Missed the dog by that much. Side shot the wife (who was throwing up when I smelled and heard the racked. But he did get quite a bit in the house. Our kitchen has carpet(ask why to her not me).
Now the house smells like skunk. I cleaned the carpet, trashed her PJ's, washed the dog, but yet the house smells like road kill skunk. I did use dawn to clean the carpet, took 10 rinses to get all the soap out.

Any thoughts on how to get rid of the smell?
Boy, I sure could use some help.

Thanks,
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Re: HELP...MY HOUSE STINKS!!!!!

Post by gimdandy »

Had a small house fire two years ago and was told to get a mechanical air cleaner so I got two and within 30 hours or so all smoke smell was gone forever, and the house was absolutely filled w/ smoke .It does leave a metallic kinda smell but it's not offensive and it is totally gone in a coupla days . Don't know if it will work for skunk or not. I do know that when trapping skunk that if you pile up some alfalfa hay and set on fire and get in the smoke fer a bit and it will take the "skunk " outta your clothes , hair , skin, everything, but I'm not recommending starting hay on fire in your house to get rid of skunk..................you understand that ...........right?
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

gimdandy wrote:Had a small house fire two years ago and was told to get a mechanical air cleaner so I got two and within 30 hours or so all smoke smell was gone forever, and the house was absolutely filled w/ smoke .It does leave a metallic kinda smell but it's not offensive and it is totally gone in a coupla days . Don't know if it will work for skunk or not. I do know that when trapping skunk that if you pile up some alfalfa hay and set on fire and get in the smoke fer a bit and it will take the "skunk " outta your clothes , hair , skin, everything, but I'm not recommending starting hay on fire in your house to get rid of skunk..................you understand that ...........right?
Hydroxyl generators work really well and are safe to be around unlike Ozone machines that are toxic and leave a nasty odor behind as well.
They aren't cheap but maybe you can rent one somewhere for a few days. Might be a ServPro in your area that might help but they might want you to turn it in as insurance loss.

Must have been a good night for shunks our secretary's dog got hit last night too! She had to take the day off. :shock:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Well, I nose you'll come up with a solution that will work.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I have used the product Fabreeze to deskunk a husky I had and it worked quite well. There is also a formula you can make with peroxide/ baking soda and dish soap that also works apparently, unfortunately I don't have the % of each. Google may help. Good luck!!
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

On things it won't discolor you can try hydrogen peroxide.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Ask around town and see if you can purchase a Lampe Berger (pronounced Lamp Ber Zhay). They catalytically burn alcohol with scents in them and they will destroy odors leaving behind the scent you choose. I like the Lemon-Limegrass the best. I like to fry fish and just the smell makes PillHer throw up. She can't get near a seafood counter in a store, and can't even go into an Albertson's grocery store without throwing up. She HATES fish. I light the Lampe Berger and when the stone gets hot, blow out the flame and then it starts de-scenting the house. I can cook fish and she doesn't even gag.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Big Bore 94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Big Bore 94 »

I washed two English Springer Spaniels three times before someone gave me a mixture on the old levergun forum. That helped but I think my water bill must have doubled.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

A couple of baths in Coke got rid of it on my daughters dog.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Post by markinalpine »

iceman wrote:I have used the product Fabreeze to deskunk a husky I had and it worked quite well. There is also a formula you can make with peroxide/ baking soda and dish soap that also works apparently, unfortunately I don't have the % of each. Google may help. Good luck!!
Dissolve as much baking soda in a bucket of warm water as it will take. Just stir it in until no more will dissolve. Add a few drops, no a full squirt, of dish detergent. I saturated my dog with this, then emptied a bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide over him, rubbing it in as well as I could.
Rinsed him with water until it stopped sudsing.
Then I rinsed him off with another bucket of warm water with a couple of drops of detergent, and a cup of white vinegar added.
I had to do this over the next day, as he was still a bit whiffy.

As far as your house goes, I've heard that a product called OdorXit works well. http://www.odorxit.com/

Good luck,
Mark :idea:
Any way you sell it,
No matter how you spell it,
When you start to smell it,
BO stinks.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My Uncle always claimed that tomato juice got complelely rid of skunk on his boxer....I don't know that personally, but he was NOT one to fudge a story :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

We've had three incidents in the middle of the night when the dog tangled with a skunk right in front of the air intake for our house air exchanger. The clue is that I suddenly wake up to choking skunk fumes all through the house. Step one is to turn off the air exchanger for a couple days. Step two is to burn Partylite candles (probably any candles will do) all the next day. It isn't the scent of the candles, but the carbon molecules that probably bind to the aromatic molecules the skunk has pumped out. Anyway, a day of this usually completely iradicates the skunk smell. If necessary, top of with more candles burning for one more day.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

DEODORIZING SKUNK SPRAY

(CAUTION: DO NOT PRE-MIX & CAP - the mixture can foam, blow off covers & break glass jars. Mix fresh for each use)

1 Qt Hydrogen Peroxide (brown drugstore bottle)
1/4 Cup Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon any liquid dish/laundry detergent

Mix in open pail & spray on pets, etc. - Spray object(s) thoroughly / wet or dunk in pail.

Test fabrics/furniture first, as it may bleach out colors.

KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

6 months will just about do it. I've tried everything for skunk smell as I use to trap the critters. some things help but time is the only cure.
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

Our Sheltie tangled with a skunk a few years back and I tried the Tomato routine and it didn't work for me. The vet mentioned a product at the pet store called (IIRC) Skunk Away and it did the job right now. Somehow or other it neutralizes the odor by contact with the oil from the skunk spray. After I sprayed that on her the odor was gone instantly and I was one happy camper! I see no reason why it would not work on carpet also.
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

I have suggested this before in similar posts, so if anyone trusted my suggestion perhaps you could corroborate. Try Nok-Out. It is a deodorizer. It has worked on everything I have thrown it at. And, it is even recommended for carpet. Just google Nok-Out.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

My neighbor was a skunk trapper and he told me to lay your clothes down on the bare dirt for a few days and they unscent. But leather was stunk forever he claimed.
How about scent away soap for deer hunters?
When I was a boy my buds dog got hit by a skunk just has he opened the door. Ten years latter I still smelt it on damp days.
Good Luck
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

+1 on the tomato juice. I have used it on dogs many times. Also on ME once. It works!