OT - Mannlicher Schoenauer

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Mannlicher Schoenauer

Post by 6pt-sika »

My father and I attended an auction this afternoon that of course had a few guns . This place was about an hour and fifteen to thirty minutes from our home .

They had two items that intrested us !

The first was a J.P.Sauer 12 gauge SxS Royal Model LNIB . And the second was a MAnnlicher Schoenauer rifle in 308 WIN caliber .

They were supposed to be auctioned at 19:00 , so we got there at about 17:00 so we had plenty time to peruse and if we weren't intrested we could haul *** and get home .

Once we got there we went in the gallery and checked out the Sauer . WHile nice it was a 1960 to 1970 period gun with a beavertail forend . Nice enough but not one I was willing to pay top price for !

Then we looked at the M/S it looked pretty nice . Had the 24" rifle barrel a , set of factory mounts and a nice old Redfield 3-9 .

So then we went and got a number , took a seat and waited . 19:00 came and went as they kept selling other things of no intrest to me .
Finally about 19:30 they started . Sold a decent Browning Citori Special Sporting in a Browning hard case for $750 . Then the Sauer came and went for $1200 , which was about $500 more then I was willing to bid !

Next came the M/S and they started it off at $500 . I got in around $700 and took it on up a ways before the other guy gave up !
So now I have a Mannlicher Schoenauer in 308 WIN to go with my M/S carbine thats in 8x56 MS !

Here are some pics I just took !

Last edited by 6pt-sika on Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Mannlicher Schoenauer

Post by 86er »

Those are great rifles and I've enjoyed shooting my friends pair of full length stocked rifles in 308 and 30-06. Good luck with it!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Mannlicher Schoenauer

Post by 6pt-sika »

86er wrote:Those are great rifles and I've enjoyed shooting my friends pair of full length stocked rifles in 308 and 30-06. Good luck with it!

My 8x56 MS has the full length mannlicher stock , kinda wish this one did as well !

I first saw these guns when I was a kid back in the mid 60's in some of my dad's old "Shooter's Bible's" and had wanted one ever since !

Can't say 308 is my first choice , but when getting an old gun sometimes you have to take what you can get :wink:
Technical Director
Levergunner

Re: OT - Mannlicher Schoenauer

Post by Technical Director »

IMO, you are one lucky person. I too remember reading about these a long time ago last century. I was very fortunate about three months ago to have had the opportunity to shoot one of these chambered in .308. For me it was one of those life experiences I always wanted to have just because.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Congratulations! :D That is one sweet looking rifle. I love that bolt handle.

Now you'll need to brush up on your German a bit.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

An aunt of a close friend owns a ranch in Kerr County Texas . They have it game fenced . But they have an overabundance of Axis deer and since they don't sell hunts my friend is trying to set up a week hunt for us there !

If it works out you can bet I'll drag this 308 along !
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That is so cool. 8) Those guns have a certain appeal, don't they?

You and your dad coming to the show in Fishersville this weekend?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hobie wrote:That is so cool. 8) Those guns have a certain appeal, don't they?

I kinda doubt it , although one never knows :wink:

The auction we went to last night was in the Weyers Cave - Mt Crawford area .
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

Very nice, you are a lucky man.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

6pt-sika wrote:
Hobie wrote:That is so cool. 8) Those guns have a certain appeal, don't they?

I kinda doubt it , although one never knows :wink:

The auction we went to last night was in the Weyers Cave - Mt Crawford area .
And I missed it! Dang!!! :!:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

Nice rifle. 8)

IF you're willing to yank the scope and front base, there should be nice markings on the receiver ring. Along the lines of:
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

FWIW I went to a show today and saw a MS very similar to yours. The asking price was $1495.

That should make you feel even better. :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Molasses wrote:Nice rifle. 8)

IF you're willing to yank the scope and front base, there should be nice markings on the receiver ring. Along the lines of:
Yes , this one is a "Model 1961-MCA" I believe . I'm gonna forgo yanking the scope and mounts just yet . Your front base is very similar to the one on my 8x56 MS rifle . The mounts on my rifle look to be the same as listed in the old Stoeger Shooters Bibles , it says they are Redfield SR-MS 2 piece and from the pictures they look identical !
I've looked at a number of Bibles from the correct era and the price at the time they were new leads me to believe the base's and ring's cost about $13 and the scope was $110 in 1970 . And the rifle was a wopping $340 in 1970 . Just for reference a Remington 700BDL was all of $170 then . Oh yeah these are I assume suggested retail prices !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Rusty wrote:FWIW I went to a show today and saw a MS very similar to yours. The asking price was $1495.

That should make you feel even better. :D
Last night I was thinking $1250 to be about a fair market value . I'm happy to say I didn't reach what I thought was fair market value :wink:
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

Your front base is very similar to the one on my 8x56 MS rifle . The mounts on my rifle look to be the same as listed in the old Stoeger Shooters Bibles , it says they are Redfield SR-MS 2 piece and from the pictures they look identical !
The one in the picture has the claw mount base out on the barrel, but when I found it in the used rack at a local gunshop it had the Redfield bases like yours has, with no scope or rings. The two holes messing up the markings are where it was drilled and tapped for the forward base of the Redfield set. It's currently wearing a vintage steel-tube Weaver K-6 on rings installed on the Redfield bases.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Molasses wrote:
Your front base is very similar to the one on my 8x56 MS rifle . The mounts on my rifle look to be the same as listed in the old Stoeger Shooters Bibles , it says they are Redfield SR-MS 2 piece and from the pictures they look identical !
The one in the picture has the claw mount base out on the barrel, but when I found it in the used rack at a local gunshop it had the Redfield bases like yours has, with no scope or rings. The two holes messing up the markings are where it was drilled and tapped for the forward base of the Redfield set. It's currently wearing a vintage steel-tube Weaver K-6 on rings installed on the Redfield bases.
We've had the 8x56 MS for 2 or 3 years now and I have yet to get dies and shoot it ! Made a chamber cast a year or so ago , but thats as far as I've gotten . Also got some new 8x57 brass to resize and trim . Since we got this 308 the 8x56 will stay on the back burner !

At some point though I think I'm going to have to have a 1961 MCA Carbine with the mannlicher stock and 20" barrel . Most likely and 06 or 270 as they seem to be the easiest to find these days !
Hankster
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hankster »

Those guys know how a PROPER bolt handle is made!!! Enjoy, you have a class weapon there..... with set triggers to boot!!! You made out like a bandit!
TX30/30
Levergunner

Post by TX30/30 »

Yeah I once had a 1959 M/S carbine in 7mm Mauser. Sweet shooting gun. Sorry I sold it. Just to look at the machining on the magazine--it was a work of art.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Beautiful gun.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I haven't had any luck finding a yearly breakdown of seriel numbers .

I have however been on a few MS collectors websites and going by the years they dated their rifles I can surmise that this rifle was made in 1962 , 1963 or 1964 . I tend to go with 1963 based on equal amounts each year etc but who am I to make that call !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Just got back from the range !

The 308 MS shows promise !

Shot some 150 grain Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertips and some Remington 150 Core Lokts . Both loaded with Varget and RL-15 . At the moment it's good enough for deer to the 200 yard area . But I'd like to tighten it up a bit more !