OT - Another Reason to Consider a CCW Permit

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Another Reason to Consider a CCW Permit

Post by COSteve »

From USAToday this morning.

Cops Limit Responses
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Ysabel Kid

Re: OT - Another Reason to Consider a CCW Permit

Post by Ysabel Kid »

"When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away."

A good reason indeed. They don't call it the "thin blue line" for nothing. Police can not be everywhere at once - and nor would we want them to be. Cutting back on responses is simply what would have to be done with limitations on resources. I am glad they are focusing on the highest priorities - violent crimes. Having a CCW and practising with your firearm so you can proficiently use it are part of the responsibilities of living in a free society. We free up resources ourselves to be better deployed on "the big stuff".
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by two bit okie »

while I agree, when the cops cant or wont respond, what will happen when you defend yourself? YOU will be accused of being a vigilante. especially in Oakland and Massachisetts. Catch 22.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Quote-----" Budget cuts are forcing police around the country to stop responding to fraud, burglary and theft calls as officers focus limited resources on violent crime."

How in the good Lord's name can they tell when fraud, burglary and theft become violent??
After you are killed because that state didnt allow a person from that state/or another state to have a CCW.

That quote right there "if they can get it directly from Law enforcement" would I believe be in itself enough to establish new right to carry laws or make the state legally liable for a suit against it.
Oh better days ahead for our guns rights! (maybe we can help protect the cops instead of them protecting us?) (only in our lifetime friends) :wink: :roll:
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I suspect that this thread will get moved to the Politics section before long, but article aside, I think everyone who believes in the 2A should get their CC permit...just to make sure their voice is heard through the numbers and statistics of those that have their carry permit. The more of us there are, the less likely it will be that the Left and antis will move to enact even stricter laws and restrictions.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Could this be?
(police answering the phone at 2am)-----Hello ?
(person at the other end of phone)----- there's two big bad men standing over our bed with a gun and a knife)?
(police)---(offer them some coffee and maybe a doughnut and let them take what they want) If they stab or shoot you and you can possibly still use a phone---- call back?

:?: -------------Not in my House!
flounderjig
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flounderjig »

Dont bother with the law enforcement, you are your best protector. I have had my CHL since 1997, pulled my gun twice while driving, on two occassions individuals have tried to drive me off the road, showing that gun stopped their bs, and this was in town. I carry pretty much carry where ever I go( dont freguent bars as Texas law say no.) If you are a hunter you have an advantage over the common man, we hunters have a knack for situational awareness that does not make us easy targets. The key is to be aware all the time, which with time is easy.The only thing I need law enforcement for and I have a great deal of respect for them is filling out paperwork after the fact.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Having been a street cop for over 10 years and involved in LE for over 20, there have been too many times when I got there as quickly as humanly possible...and was still too late.

My advice is to do whatever it takes to protect yourself, your family, and to a more limited degree, your property. Know your local laws and a good CRIMINAL lawyer. Prepare yourself for the worst while praying for the best, and don't talk yourself into a jail cell if the worst come to be.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

You know, I find this very hard to believe. I drive many miles a month. And I can tell you that the local police, sheriff and the CHP are spending more time sitting around waiting for speeders. They seem to see it more and more as a revenue generating activity. Along the Pacific Coast Highway, the LA County sheriff has half a dozen spots they frequent with their radar guns. I usually cruise by right at the speed limit, and never forget to wave.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

1. Even those who don't morally feel one NEEDS to get a 'permit' for a God-given right merely 'recognized' by our Constitution, I still think getting a permit IS a good thing, because these days everything is about NUMBERS, and the politicians who see for instance in Indiana, that some 388,000 Hoosiers are licensed for CCW, out of a population of maybe 6,000,000, can do the math - maybe as many as 1 in 12 or 1 in 14 adults (i.e. VOTERS) are licensed for CCW.

That gives them something to ponder, when they are weighing the 'P.C. points' they will earn by supporting some stupid, symbolic, counterproductive 'gun control' law. So - get your 'vote' counted, even if you don't feel the license is needed to legitimize your rights.

2. When some judge/lawyer/jury who has a less 'enlightened' view of God-given civil rights has to 'evaluate' an incident of which you were a perhaps unwilling participant, it looks good to their unenlightened eyes if you had 'permission' to have that deadly weapon on your person.

3. I suggest all my patients read Masaad Ayoob's "In the Gravest Extreme" BEFORE carrying their firearm out and about. It gets into the REAL issues, rather than glamorizing fast-draw and stopping power and so on. http://www.amazon.com/Gravest-Extreme-F ... t_ep_dpt_1

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

You got that right, and another reason why we need a Federal "shall issue" law. :evil:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

In IL we do not have the ability to get a CCW permit of any kind.
We in this communistic state are prevented by law from exercising our privileges to carry a weapon for self defense. Since the state of IL does not recognize the 2nd Amendment any gun possession here is indeed a privilege, not a right.

I do not believe in permits to carry, I much prefer the laws such as AK, VT, and AZ have that allow concealed or open carry without permits.
But, I do recognize they are necessary and would get one if I was able to do so here in IL.

As for a federal reciprocity law, it shouldn't be needed. But I have to reluctantly agree that it is. I do not want a federal shall issue CCW law. The last thing I'd support is more federal controls on my guns or the carrying of same.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

If your state allows ccw permits you should get one for many reasons. Besides the obvious, consider that if few exercised their privilages, soon it wouldnt be offered. This is like preaching to the choir. Just use common sense. First if you really have to fight for your life it doesnt matter if a swat team is all ready to roll one minuet from your house, they dont exist for you! Also remember the ancent parabel, "I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by six". Demeaner counts for a lot. Just haveing access to a gun may give you the demeaner needed to survive without ever even hinting you have a gun.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

What AJMD429 said.

I also recommend Massad Ayoob's "In the Gravest Extreme".
He discusses a lot of issues that the armchair commandos
miss, partly because he's been there and done that, and knows
firsthand how the system works. He's seen what some of the pitfalls
in the legal system are for the innocent but unwary.

Everybody who's eligible should get a CCW permit. The more
of us the better for reasons stated above. There's also a practical
reason. If, for any reason, one has to either draw a gun on or
shoot somebody, the carry permit tells responding LEOs that YOU
are the good guy until proved otherwise. In Maine I've gone through
the same background checks as the cops. The idea that you're a good
guy in a bad situation can certainly make a difference in how the
responding LEO(s) treat you and/or write their reports.

Mind you, I agree wholeheartedly with the premise that the 2nd
Amendment is all that I LEGALLY need. Bearing arms is a right "endowed by
the Creator". It is NOT a privilege, and nobody can either authorize
the exercise of that right or take it away. I DO have something against
carrying a card to prove I'm a good guy. I also have an issue with asking
permission to exercise a basic human right (see "endowed by the Creator"
above). As a practical matter, the permit can certainly save me some hassle
in some situations.

Perhaps the day will come when permit holders outnumber non-permit
holders and we can finally do away with some of the ridiculous, contradictory
hodgepodge of Federal, State, and local statutes concerning concealed carry.

-Stretch
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Just a possibility of what could come about in the future with some people unable to attain a ccw???
Probably what could eventually happen if this country becomes to a degree of such dire straights with major mass crimes/threats etc many people will just simply choose the thinking(well carry a handgun without a ccw and if absolutely need be use it to protect the family and worry about not having a ccw after disposing of the threat that was going to kill the family.
Many could think heck if its meant to be better some jail time than the family all dead?????????
Hopefully it never gets to that point for some people!
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

stretch wrote:What AJMD429 said.

I also recommend Massad Ayoob's "In the Gravest Extreme".
He discusses a lot of issues that the armchair commandos
miss, partly because he's been there and done that, and knows
firsthand how the system works. He's seen what some of the pitfalls
in the legal system are for the innocent but unwary.

Everybody who's eligible should get a CCW permit. The more
of us the better for reasons stated above. There's also a practical
reason. If, for any reason, one has to either draw a gun on or
shoot somebody, the carry permit tells responding LEOs that YOU
are the good guy until proved otherwise. In Maine I've gone through
the same background checks as the cops. The idea that you're a good
guy in a bad situation can certainly make a difference in how the
responding LEO(s) treat you and/or write their reports.

Mind you, I agree wholeheartedly with the premise that the 2nd
Amendment is all that I LEGALLY need. Bearing arms is a right "endowed by
the Creator". It is NOT a privilege, and nobody can either authorize
the exercise of that right or take it away. I DO have something against
carrying a card to prove I'm a good guy. I also have an issue with asking
permission to exercise a basic human right (see "endowed by the Creator"
above). As a practical matter, the permit can certainly save me some hassle
in some situations.

Perhaps the day will come when permit holders outnumber non-permit
holders and we can finally do away with some of the ridiculous, contradictory
hodgepodge of Federal, State, and local statutes concerning concealed carry.

-Stretch
+1 Good one, Stretch!
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hawkeye2 wrote:We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police.
My wife's a pizza delivery driver. She knows who you are, where you live, what you usually order, and the quickest way to your house. Not only that, if you tip good she'll cut the delivery time in half :mrgreen:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

This reminds me, I need to grab my CH and take the dog for a walk.

They are a good thing to have if you run accross a stray nasty pit bull or something similar too...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

That article was dropped in front of my hotel door this week, and my first thought was: Bet they don't cut back on traffic tickets. One of my major gripes in this society is that we can expend all that police time writing tickets for 7 mph over the speed limit and seat belt violations yet not give the appropriate attention to burglary, rape, identity theft, and robbery. Makes a fella wonder what really drives the priorities of the authorities. IMO traffic infractions should be the result of down time when every other crime of personal threat and property infraction is cleared from the books, but apparently the powers that be do not agree with my insight.

Ed
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

I have permits in three states but I rarely carry concealled. When I am travelling I do as I am often camping in odd places where stuff could happen real fast. The main reason I have the permits is so I don't have to worry about in the car storage. I oten have a hand gun sitting on the seat next to me.

Wanna Be Rambos are something else. One of my concealled carry guns is a S&W Walther PPKs that was gone through by Cylinder and Slide. Yes it is on the lower end power wise but but I can slip it in my pocket and it is easy to carry. I can't tell you how much the Wanna Be Rambos have put that choice down. It is interesting that .380s are one of the biggest concealled carry sellers these days.
Hankster
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hankster »

"It's all about the money"..... cops are writing tickets, because the towns/counties, etc are all broke! YOU got ripped off a lost something valuable.... um, "fill out a form, and we'll file it"... yeah.... I remember when "To Protect and Serve" meant something.... they need to change that to "To ticket and raise revenue"... because that's what way too many of the Dept's now, FOCUS ON!!

On Concealed Carry,,, I'd highly recommend you give this video a watch!! This is part one, you'll see part two there as well.. give it a view, then FOLLOW the LAwyer, AND the Cops advice!! You'll be MUCH more "protected" knowing this information!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik