I will keep only two...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

I will keep only two...

Post by mohavesam »

I'm faced with a hard choice. I am going to limit my lever-gun (centerfire) battery to two hunting guns. Now I've spent years collecting a nice brace of lever-guns.
Here's my choice of 24 - all 95-98% and NIB examples:
- Win 375 XTR (3 checkered )
- Win 307 BB - one smooth, one checkered
- Win 356 BB - one smooth, one checkered
- Win 444 BB - walnut
- Win 44RM Pack Rifle
- Have a few 30-30 1894s: all walnut but one Black Shadow, four are Trappers; most are 1894-1994 guns.
- Win 71 - two Deluxe
- Browning 71 - one of each (20-24", blued & engraved silvered)
- Browning BLR 358

My SBRs, one 25-35 24", & rimfire lever-guns I will keep. With failing vision I am faced with scope options for ethical hunting... I have a buyer & proceeds will help Daughter's graduate program.

So help me out here friends; which would you keep? Help!
I cannot use the "all of 'em" answer! :(
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I will keep only two...

Post by rjohns94 »

I would keep a winchester model 71 in .348 and a 94 in 30-30 (perhaps a trapper).
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

This is like being some sort of poygamist with 24 children--which two to pick! But choices have to be made, I guess. The Winchester 71 for certain. then I'd probably keep a 30-30 in walnut configuration. Ammo in that caliber will always be available--one way or another.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

rjohns94 wrote:I would keep a winchester model 71 in .348 and a 94 in 30-30 (perhaps a trapper).
What he said. :wink: The .444 instead of the .348 if you don't like to load.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

What ever you decide on :? I sure hope you keep a 30/30! :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

444 and the 307.
NRA Life Member
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I am not sure where or what you hunt. But I would probably keep the 44 magnum and the nicest 30-30 that I had. Obviously you are wanting the money, so cost of shooting your firearm is also a consideration. The 44 and the 30-30 would be the cheapest to shoot. And will easily get the job done. Tom.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

With your eyes and needing a scope to hunt, I would keep the 358 Browning and the 44 magnum. The Browning will take about everything you want to hunt and has good range, and the 44 would be good for shorter range and plinking.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I like the 307 for deer and antelope sized stuff and the 358 for bigger stuff.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I'm too biased for an answer. The 356 Win. is hard to beat in my book. If one shoots well, I would keep it. Portable, balanced, accurate and powerful describes mine. There's really nothing that one can't do with it in America.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

C. Cash wrote:I'm too biased for an answer. The 356 Win. is hard to beat in my book. If one shoots well, I would keep it. Portable, balanced, accurate and powerful describes mine. There's really nothing that one can't do with it in America.
+1. Scope the .358. Leave the .356 open. If you reload, The 180's, 200 gummy for the .356, 220s and 250's will take all North american game. You can also use the vast aray of .38-.357 bullets for cheap plinking and small game. WAY 8)
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

rjohns94 wrote:I would keep a winchester model 71 in .348 and a 94 in 30-30 (perhaps a trapper).
This was EXACTLY my thought.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

My first inclination was to keep a 71, however, you mentioned whatever you kept would be for hunting and you need glass at this point in life. If it doesnt bother you to have a 71 driled and tapped for a scout style cope, then I'd do it. Beside that idea, I think I'd go with the 356 and a 30-30 angle eject that can be scoped, and have both tuned, and with nice trigger jobs, maybe set up with half cock safty setups, and the best wood. If one gun had better something regarding metal or safety etc, and another better wood, swap wood and make the best rifle you can to keep. If you're downsizing, make the best of it.

I'd much rather have a couple very high quailty guns that did exactly what I wanted them to, and made me very happy, than a bunch that didn't.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

Malamute wrote: I'd much rather have a couple very high quailty guns that did exactly what I wanted them to, and made me very happy, than a bunch that didn't.

Couldn't have said it better. That is what I am doing right now. But I keep changing my mind?? Tom.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Scope is the limiting factor here.

BLR and a wood 30-30 Trapper.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

Hobie wrote:
This was EXACTLY my thought.
This is the ticket.The M-71 and the M-94. You have all of the bases covered !!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Thunder50 wrote:With your eyes and needing a scope to hunt, I would keep the 358 Browning and the 44 magnum. The Browning will take about everything you want to hunt and has good range, and the 44 would be good for shorter range and plinking.
This gets my vote.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Just recalled that one of our members worked up a scope mount for a 71 that didnt require any alterations to the gun. I believe he offered a blueprint to anyone that wanted one. IIRC, it was Bob Nesbit, (Ranisbet).

One of the high grade Browning 71's with a good scope setup would be a fine rifle to have, and one you could sit and enjoy looking at over time. Persoanlly, if you're going to keep it for your lifetime, I wouldnt hesitate to have it drilled and tapped for a scope mount. The Winchester 71's will bring more for your daughters schooling.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[My SBRs, one 25-35 24", & rimfire lever-guns I will keep.]

!st choice, I would scope the checkered .356 Model BB94AE and use it for just about anything I wanted.

2nd choice, I would keep a Model 71 Deluxe - because everybody ought to have one, AND you'll regret not keeping one to drool & reminisce on.

Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

With failing eye sight your need to scope a gun rules out the M 71 (sadly).

I would keep the BLR and a 30-30 that can be scoped.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I'm with the growing 71/.348 and .30-30 crowd, though I like Malamute's combo as well. I don't have but have shot the .356 and it's a sweetheart (but then soo is the .375). Regardless of the specific mix, definitely solid walnut all the way, and on the 94s, if it's gotta be AE for good scoping (understandable), make it a pre-safety one if you got one (or two).

On the 94 .30-30, I'll vote standard 20" carbine vs trapper. I have several examples of the former and one of the latter (two if you count a 92 as well). The 20" to me is just that much more gun--obviously in length--but also, ultimatley, more versatile IMO than the trapper (other than "just truck" duty), and less unpleasant ka-boom. The trapper's a charming and handy piece, I'll give it that. But I like the extra sight radius and capacity of the 20" and slightly extra reach. And--to me--it's still a pretty darn handy package. At the very least, I wouldn't scope the trapper--there goes the "handiness" quotient.

I *can* see having a "dedicated," scoped bonafide hunter (the .348) and an unadorned trapper .30-30 or even .44--though I prefer the 92's action for the that.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

That would be a good choice. If ya can't bring yerself to keep a .30-30, keep the .444 .
ED
Yer never too old
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Would want both Browning 71's if eyesight was good but since its not ?
The 30-30 and the .444
Hey, how bout just selling em all and get the Marlin 1895 XTR in 45-70 ? They also have it in the SBL
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I guess I'd keep the .444 Marlin and the .44 Magnum 'pack' rifle - the bigger one can bowl any critter over, and the smaller is handier and more practical for close range. Both can share the same bullet inventory in a pinch. For anything smaller than you'd use a .44 Mag on, you have the .25-35, and the .22 LR.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

TedH wrote:444 and the 307.
Yep!

Byron
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

WOW, Some great opinions so far. Thanks all for putting the rationale together so carefully.

I cannot be without one of the 348's , as I recall it was the round I used for my first Adirondack Black Bear, areal trophy (400#+) running headlong through the briars as I was stalking over a small rise. It was a Winchester that day, but the Brownings are far fewer in number and the 24" Deluxe is the rarest of them. Mine is target-fired only and as-new, and will probably be one to keep. I just need to find the best optics option!

For my experience, the 307 is about the most versatile rifle of them all, and shoots very well having dropped whitetail and mule deer in NM, AZ, and MI to date.

I forgot one - a 20" 44RM saddle-ring rifle that my late Uncle gave me when he stopped hunting; a great gun/caliber for the southern-tier WNY hunts that I grew up on. He had just bought it and I don't have the box, but it is in fine condition and I'll keep that one also, so the other 44's and 444 are fodder as that caliber goes.

I also have a 30-30 Contender carbine and cannot remember ever needing a second shot with any 30-30 kill. As weird as it sounds, I may end up not having an 1894 in 30-30!

This is NOT easy! I have always been one to turn down several examples before finding the "keepers", and red-tagging so many at once is r-e-a-l-l-y hard! :( :shock: :cry:
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein