OT- a little. Need a new .45 Colt!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

OT- a little. Need a new .45 Colt!

Post by 2ndovc »

I needed some cash several months ago and sold some guns I didn't really want to.
One of which was a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Convertible. That left me with a gap
in my battery that needs to be filled.
I have a nice little hardwood floor side job that will net me enough to buy a new one.
I've narrowed it down to two.

The decision is;
I really want a Colt SAA and know of a nice Third Gen that I can get for a grand or
a little less.
-OR-
I handeled a Ruger Montado .45 at a show about a month ago and really liked it.

Which ever it is will be well used and I like the stainless thing.
If I buy the Ruger i'll have enough left over to buy that little .22/45 that I want.

But I've wanted a Real Colt SAA forever!

And I can't do both right now. That just won't happpen. It's been a good summer but
I have to be more careful with my $ these days. (Man I hate being an adult!)

What do you guys think?

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT- a little. Need a new .45 Colt!

Post by pdawg.shooter »

Most anything but Ruger, unless you want a project gun.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The Colt will VERY likely ALWAYS be worth more than you'll pay for that one (<$1,000)... the Ruger? Maybe so, but not likely.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Always get the good while the getting is good. You can get the Ruger 22/45 (RP?) anytime. IOW, get the Colt.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"But I've wanted a Real Colt SAA forever!"
--2ndOVC

Seems to me you just gave the answer....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Jason, how 'bout this for an idea? Get yourself a Colt SAA New Frontier. The adjustable sights makes for hitting a whole lot easier. They are still floating around and you can usually snag one for the cost or below what a regular single action sells for.

Yea, I know, the "feel" is a tad different than the regular single action, but 'ya know what? Everytime I reach for a single action to "get a job done", I always reach for one of my New Frontiers and forget the Army models. :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

Not sure how valuable my opinion is, but here goes.

I worked in the gun industry for many years back in the 80's and early 90's. I came across a lot of good deals on firearms. So I bought a couple dozen Colt Single Actions. Including all the NRA revolvers, and all the John Wayne revolvers. As well as several other limited edition revolvers. I also bought a bunch of shooters, and I shot alot of them. They were a very fun gun to shoot, and a very fun gun to carry, and to show off. But the problem is I am a practical guy who likes to hunt with the weapons that I shoot. And to be honest I never felt very comfortable shooting the Colt revolver at distances over 25 yards. For me they just were not that accurate. Or at least not as accurate as my S&W's and a few good shooting Ruger's that I owned.

So for a collector's piece or a show off piece they are great. But they just were not that practical to me.

I do hope no one flames me for saying this. I do not mean to attack the "Almighty Grail" Colt single action army. And it could easily be me because I never really did like fixed sight handguns.

I have great admiration for the Colt. And the ones that are packed away in my vault have went up dramatically in value. No doubt about that. But if I was buying a handgun to do what I do-which is to hunt. Then it would not be my top choice. Just an opinion---PLEASE don't flame me guys. Tom.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

what goods a pistol that sets in the safe get a ruger and carry it even the new vaqueros will handle a 255 at 1000fps+ with a action job your set. danny
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

BUY ... THE ... COLT. Then quit selling your guns when the stupid bills come in. Bills will always come back next month, the money to replace the guns may not.

Been there, done that, and still have gaps where I've never had the funds to replace the guns I sold.

Each gun is a law unto itself. Some are more accurate than others, and some folks just seem to be more accurate with certain guns than others. Besides, if you don't wanna stretch the range when you hunt .... um, read my sig line :wink:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Between your choices I'd take the Colt SAA. You've wanted one forever and if you don't get it now you know what you'll be saying for a long time.
Old Law Dawg
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Get the Colt!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Two guns vs. One gun, ... and you "like the stainless thing". Hmmm, what's the issue? Danny's spot on.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

You have a nice dilemma. There's really no bad choice here. But when I try to imagine myself in your shoes, I think about a year from now. Sure as shooting, if I went for the Rugers I'd be happy with them -- but a year from now I'd be saying, "but, man, I wish I had jumped on that Colt!"

I -- and probably you, too -- would shoot the heck out of it but maintain it scrupulously; so the value would continue to grow and I could enjoy the investment.

And if a year from now I wanted the Rugers, I would have already saved up enough to buy them and they will still be as common as today.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

If ya want it strictly for "style points" colt is colt is colt. Nothing else is gonna make yer heart pitta-pat the same.

I have a friend who owns several Colts. I asked him "If ya was gonna spend the summer fishing in Alaska, and were only gonna bring one pistol to wear every day, and maybe save yer bacon, which would it be." He got real quiet and said "My old, beat up Ruger Blackhawk BECAUSE I know it's gonna go "bang" every time, not break a spring, not give up on me when I need it most, AND I can load it warm and not sweat it."

FWIW the Montado is basically a New Vaquero with a Super Blackhawk hammer and some grip enhancing on the front strap. SBH hammers are like $45.......
Certified gun nut
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

kimwcook wrote:Between your choices I'd take the Colt SAA. You've wanted one forever and if you don't get it now you know what you'll be saying for a long time.
I wanted a Ruger (ironically, given some of the above comments) Single Six Stainless since about 1974, and every time I'd see one at a good price I'd not have spending money, and every time I had spending money, I'd get something else I figured was more 'essential', or going to be harder to get in the future.

A few months ago, I finally found this on the 'used gun' shelf at the local toy store...

...and although it is a humble little .22 LR Ruger, it's just something I really wanted for years, and I'm glad I got it.

So . . . I guess you need to get the Colt . . . !
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

For years, I always looked at the Colt's SAA and then bought the Ruger because it was more practical/durable/cheaper/etc. I bought my first Colt's SAA in 2003, a used 5 1/2" .45 Colt with ivory grips. I could not believe how much I had been missing in life! It is one of my favorite handguns and I will soon be sending it off to be engraved. Since then I have purchased several more Colt's SAA's as well as several New Frontiers. I still love my Rugers, and have several custom Rugers. However, they are not and will never be Colt's.

A good friend of mine was at the house a while back. We were coon pawing all my guns before we got down to serious drinking and telling war stories. He pulled out one of my Colt's SAA and asked "what was special about these old relics". I told him if you have to ask you won't understand and you will have to own one to really know what is so special. Then I looked at his Rolex watch and asked if it was as good as the old Casio G-shocks we used in the Army. His reply, "No but a Casio will never be a Rolex." I said, "maybe you do understand...because nothing else can be a Colt's SAA!"

However, that's just my opinion. Each to his own.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I'm curious as to why no one's suggesting USFA. They offer a Flat-top SAA with an adjustable rear sight; they're made in the USA. Does Colt really deliver on the craftsmanship; fit & finish, not to mention accuracy, nowadays, as their reputation would have us believe? Are we being seduced by a once-respected, but no longer worthy of that respect, name? Who is taking a Colt revolver; giving it the "acid" test & submitting their opinion on it, huh? I'm willing to hear their opinion. Just curious, jd45
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

jd45 wrote:I'm curious as to why no one's suggesting USFA. They offer a Flat-top SAA with an adjustable rear sight; they're made in the USA. Does Colt really deliver on the craftsmanship; fit & finish, not to mention accuracy, nowadays, as their reputation would have us believe? Are we being seduced by a once-respected, but no longer worthy of that respect, name? Who is taking a Colt revolver; giving it the "acid" test & submitting their opinion on it, huh? I'm willing to hear their opinion. Just curious, jd45
Well, I do believe the OP had his choices between the Ruger and a Colt SAA. I don't think he mentioned USFA.

Now, no matter how good a USFA is, it's not a Colt. And never will be.

Define "acid test".

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

SFRanger7GP wrote:A good friend of mine was at the house a while back. We were coon pawing all my guns before we got down to serious drinking and telling war stories. He pulled out one of my Colt's SAA and asked "what was special about these old relics". I told him if you have to ask you won't understand and you will have to own one to really know what is so special. Then I looked at his Rolex watch and asked if it was as good as the old Casio G-shocks we used in the Army. His reply, "No but a Casio will never be a Rolex." I said, "maybe you do understand...because nothing else can be a Colt's SAA!"
???

If I understand your friend correctly, he is saying he would rather have an inferior product with an impressive name?
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

If it's something you've been wanting for a long time, get the Colt. You can add a Ruger any time at a later date if you wish.
NRA Life Member
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

This is sooooooo much like the "but it ain't a Harley" line of reasoning bike owners use.

Three years ago I paid CASH for a new Suzuki 1400CC cruiser. Now I coulda bought a Harley, but if I did, i woulda had to pay a lot more, FINANCE it, and it woulda had MORE required service over that same time.... My bike does everything I want it to, has carried me everywhere up and down the east coast, etc, but "it ain't a Harley" and never will be THANK GOD.

Sometimes a name is just a name.

Even Elmer Keith said Bill Ruger makes a better SA revolver than anything Colt ever produced.......
Certified gun nut
RDB
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RDB »

Between the two, I also would buy a USFA SAA in 45 Colt.

That said having owned and shot numerious, 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen Colts.

Colt never built them this good...ever.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have had four Colt's - three 44 Specials (which I think is their best caliber and a 45 Colt. Two were New Frontiers and two SAAs. They all shot great and I never had a problem with them. Get what you heart desires and then what you need since you already have other to fill the "need". I also had 5 of the 22s and couple 45 Autos. All were good and I gave four of the 22s away. Traded the others.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

I saved for a long time to get a genuine Colt SAA 3rd Generation 5.5 inch barrel 45 Colt. I am going to do it all over again for another one, this time in 38WCF. Its a class act all the way.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Wow,
Thanks for all the responses Guys! It was so nice out I sat on the front porch last night reading and never did get
laptop out to see what you guys thought.

I like the arguments for both.
I don't tend to hot rod the .45 Colt, I have a Ruger SBH for that.
Main reason is for a companion piece for my Winchester 94 that's also a .45 Colt.
Main duties will be a target, camp and trail gun.

That and I just want another .45! :D

I am leaning towards the Colt. First I REALLY want one and second I know I can
get out of it what I pay for it and maybe more later on.

Sixgun,

The New Frontier is on the list. Just going to wait until I get around to replacing the .44 spl. :D

jb 8)

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Who the heck am I to tell anyone what they should buy but since you asked.... :wink:

previous posters made great points - practicality of the ruger, the feel and value of a colt. You want one, so get it!! nevermind what we say. I like sixguns idea, the new frontier gives you adjustable sights. So does the Ruger SBH or BH, not the Vaq. I buy most of my handguns as hunters. I like adjustable sights. The one that is fixed sighted is for one load inside one distance. Its exactly why I have sold off my Colt SAAs and gone to FA. My 45 colt FA is stainless, adjustable sights and has a .45acp cylinder.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

This could go on forever. I'm in the "get what you want" camp. To the FA argument over the Colt, I say for that money you can get two custom tuned Rugers, one a Blackhawk .45LC/.45ACP convertible. The other a Vaquero or New Vaquero .45LC (with or w/o extra ACP cylinder) for the cowboy in you. Heck, even bead blast one of them for the FA look! OR get a Bowen (Clements, etc)-customized Ruger, with more stories to tell than the FA, and probably still have $ left over. As for comparisons between the FA and Ruger, excellent though they may be, only other FA afficianados will give you the extra credit (and, yes, other techno-wannabes). With the Ruger you get anvil reliability (in my 40 year experience) and still pretty good minute-of-critter, ...what more do you need?

Get the Colt. You won't regret. I've got them all (exc FA, but a friend has I've handled and shot extensively--for that $--what I call "Colt money"--you gotta get a Colt! It's the only one you're going to enjoy (and enjoy showing off to gun and non gun buds) INBETWEEN shoots!

The Ruger, USFA and Colt are all what is said (good) about each. I've nothing bad to say of any of them--they all have their place. Like the OP, at one point I just "had" to have a Colt, at least once,--in my case a non-cataloged "4th Gen" .44 Sp. It's a gem. Forget the naysayers, get the Colt.
Be "practical" later.

Later ED. The above is not to bash the FA or any other particular argument but to say, there ARE arguments galore in all directions. Speaking of, the FA arguably is the best revolver named and probably is the "best" SA extant. It misses the point. If you want a Colt, nothing else will do. And if you specifically want an SAA--for its smooth topstrap and unobtrusive if over-simple front sight and its history, etc, etc, a New Frontier won't do. One particular gun almost always has a downside compared to another's upside. The "other" gun, similarly, has its own downsides in any given situation. The FA is better technically but doesn't have the cache, history, "character" (real or imagined), and in some views "fondleability" the 97% of the time (ie, it's not shot). If the argument there is, "so you want something pretty vs a tool that does the job," then what are you doing with the similarly expensive "luxury" FA and not the more practical-yet Ruger for much less $," etc, etc. The USFA is arguably "better" than the Colt, but...to someone who's always wanted a Colt, it's still not a Colt. And so it goes.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OK, Lets roll this a bit more. :D

We all become "lucky" from time to time. As we age, we become more knowledgable, make better gun contacts, and hopefully a tad bit better off financially. Anyway, while taking this walk down the path of life, we sometimes luck on to great guns at great prices, all the while having an extra buck in the pocket.

Where is this post leading? Well, wait 'till you get your hands on a turn-of-the-century single action Colt thats 100% original and has excellent mechanics, all in the caliber and barrel length of your dreams. It took me until I was 50 to achieve that. Makes one turn his nose up at early FT Rugers.

Jason, I seen how excited you were when you got that nice '86 in .33. I believe you are a "romantic", therefore, you need the Colt :D --------------------Sixgun

RDB
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RDB »

In 40 years of shooting 1911s and SAAs I would generally prefer mine be a Colt.

But no question there are a lot of good guns available today. But only one Colt,
be it a 1911 or a simple SAA.

I've been lucky enough to own and shoot many 1st, 2nd and the newest gen. of Colt SAAs. My preference in 1911s is still a Colt but they take a huge amount of work to get them up to today's standards. Most any 1911 does so the Colt name is worth the effort. I am long over anything that Colt has done in the last 70 years for SAAs. Sure there are a few that sneak through that are acceptable shooters but not many in my experience. What might make a decent SASS gun, hitting basketball size targets at 10 yards isn't what I'd want for a field gun.

I'd prefer perfect POA and fist size or smaller groups at 25 yards.

The Colt 1st gen guns could be counted on to do just that. But now those that are affordable generally need a complete rebuilt. The pristine 1st gen guns are so valuable that few will take them out on a daily basis or shoot 1000s of rounds from them.

Sure you can fix almost any handgun to a point. Twist a barrel, refit a hand or cyclinder.
$1000 these days should get you an amazing SAA. And it will if you are a smart shopper. A bit less will most likely get you a superb SAA if you buy the one made in Hartford today.

I have a few first gen Colt SAAs. You would pay many times over for one today than you can walk in and buy a USFA at full retail. But cost is not the reason to buy a USFA. Knowing the gun will shoot where you point it the first time you pop a cap and will for 1000s of more rounds is worth much more than you'll pay for the gun up front. Good steel, machined parts, nothing cast, nice finishes and made in America. All obviously done by gunsmiths who know how to and care about the end result.

What if the USFA gun doesn't shoot as you expect it to? Lifetime guarantee and a you can actually get a person on the phone to help you get it fixed at no charge with a lifetime guarantee at USFA. Try that at Colt :roll:

I am all about our firearms heritige and history. But if you want a shooter to be proud of and eventually pass on to another generation, a current Colt SAA aint it, no more than a tang safety Winchester lever gun is really a "Winchester". USFA SAAs are more Colt than Colt currently is or has been in several generations.

I now own 6 USFA. All are shooters. Out of the box all shot better than every Colt I own, except for the 1st gen guns. Why 6? I shoot SAAs enough to wear them out on a regular basis. I found a dealer who was willling to trade one current gen. Colt for two new in the box USFA. Up to you to decide who made the deal there. Didn't seem like much of a decision so I made that trade twice after buying my first two ;)

How well do they shoot? Can you see the edge of a playing card at 7 yards? On a very good day and in the right light I can. Gun has to actually shoot perfectly to the POA to do this. These two do, which makes them worthy of real elephant ivory grips.

gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

All of the above said, my favorite gun is an antiqued .44 Sp USFA Rodeo. It only became so after the gawdawful finish was removed and the grips aged :-) appropriately. Now it's exactly as an old pre-war Colt would be, but with brand new innards...all for a total outlay of $750, custom tune included. It charms me no end, but that's my thing and not necessarily someone else's. Get what you want.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

When buying a firearm that you can afford, get what you really want. I onetime didn't and have regretted it. The gun I bought was good, and it shoots well, but it just isn't what I really wanted. It was a Remington 700 without the magazine which opens from the bottom. I am going to buy the parts to adapt it, but it was not what I really wanted.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Otto wrote:
SFRanger7GP wrote:A good friend of mine was at the house a while back. We were coon pawing all my guns before we got down to serious drinking and telling war stories. He pulled out one of my Colt's SAA and asked "what was special about these old relics". I told him if you have to ask you won't understand and you will have to own one to really know what is so special. Then I looked at his Rolex watch and asked if it was as good as the old Casio G-shocks we used in the Army. His reply, "No but a Casio will never be a Rolex." I said, "maybe you do understand...because nothing else can be a Colt's SAA!"
???

If I understand your friend correctly, he is saying he would rather have an inferior product with an impressive name?

Don't think he meant that at all --- a Rolex compared to a G-Shock is like comparing an Aston Martin to a Jeep Wrangler. For a rough n' tumble outdoor application, i'd probably rather take the Wrangler and the G-Shock. For just about everything else i would prefer the Rolex (or Doxa, Breitling, Omega, etc. etc.) Like an exotic car, it requires a bit more maintenance and attention from time to time, but its a lifetime timepiece, not a disposable $150 digital. Both have their place (As for me, i wear a timex Ironman with Heart Rate monitor most of the time though)
----- Doug
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sixgun wrote:OK, Lets roll this a bit more. :D

We all become "lucky" from time to time. As we age, we become more knowledgable, make better gun contacts, and hopefully a tad bit better off financially. Anyway, while taking this walk down the path of life, we sometimes luck on to great guns at great prices, all the while having an extra buck in the pocket.

Where is this post leading? Well, wait 'till you get your hands on a turn-of-the-century single action Colt thats 100% original and has excellent mechanics, all in the caliber and barrel length of your dreams. It took me until I was 50 to achieve that. Makes one turn his nose up at early FT Rugers.

Jason, I seen how excited you were when you got that nice '86 in .33. I believe you are a "romantic", therefore, you need the Colt :D --------------------Sixgun
:D
Jack,

I even bought my very first new bullet mold for that '86!
Slowly getting into the "casting thing" even though I've been reloading since I was a teenager
I have always been a little intimadated by casting. Don't know why. Been adding some used stuff
here and there but just ordered my first new mold.
----------------------

So, I've been thinkin'.

This new revolver For me is also a bit of a badge of honor. I feel that I'm finally at a place in my life ( after a little setback last winter that cost me enough cash I could have bought a nice 1886 in 45-90!) that I can drop a grand on a new sixgun and not stress over it for months.

I've gone through a lot of guns in the last twenty some years. They've always been kind of liquid to me except the
ones that have come from my family and the few I've picked up here and there that have turned into keepers.
That's what I'm looking for here. Something I'm going to have forever and look for something else to sell if it's time for a
fix or something comes up and need some cash without getting into other investments.

This kind of just dawned on me as I was reading and thinking about this post and Sixgun really nailed it.
I'd wanted a real '86 just as long as I've wanted a Colt SAA and just happened to be in the right place at the right time with some money in my pocket. Everytime I get that rifle out it just makes me smile :D
So unless something unforseen happens in the next couple weeks it's going to be a Colt if not that one there will be another come along.

I've got "use and abuse guns" but this is going to be something that I just Want!

Also,
Just wanted to mention. Nothin' against USFA. They makt one I want too. Just not this time. :)

jb 8)

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jason,
'Ya see, I've been there and done that! That '86 really brought "completeness" to your gun battery!

Well, it will for awhile, the bug will soon bite again!

Anyway, if you have trouble finding a decent SA Colt, let me know. Just tell me what caliber and configuration you want it in. :D My buddy Tom always has a few laying around.

I'll give you a good deal on this one. 45 L.Colt, 5 and 1/2", blue and color. It was made in 1917 and is still waiting for its first round. :D Ahhhhh, you will be buying soon :D :D --------Sixgun

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

You Dog!

:D

jb 8)

jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Joe, I realize that no other handgun that's built to resemble a Colt can carry the mistique of the genuine article. I was asking the question, does Colt nowadays deliver a comparable level of craftsmanship, in all aspects, equal to what they're demanding for their product, or are people disappointed, not receiving the quality that they're paying a premium price for, that Colt delivered long, long ago. As far as the acid test goes, it's just what any honest gunwriter would do. Take a long hard look at fit & finish; how it functions; how it shoots; how smooth the action is; does it or doesn't it shave lead due to improper or proper chamber line-up. I can say my Premium Grade USFA passed with flying colors. IF Colt delivers now like USFA does, then it'll be well worth the money spent in buying one. If not, people are being deceived, and more importantly, deceiving themselves. jd45
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

JD,

I don't know. I've read MANY complaints and grips about new Colts. At the same time MANY people chime in and tell how good their guns are. Same as Ruger, same as S&W, same as others. I've even read grips and complaints about the sacred cow, the USFA. No body is perfect.

What I comes down to is some of us just want a genuine Colt SAA. No matter why or how come, we want the original. The Rampant Colt. I've got Rugers, an Uberti, they shoot good, but my heart wants a Colt. Some day. And when I get it I will shoot it.

Joe
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

This is a no brainer...

Buy. The. Colt.

Shoot. It.

Enjoy. Your. Investment. :mrgreen:
"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
RDB
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RDB »

Hey I understand the "need" for a Colt. And need has nothing to do when it comes to a SAA. That is all about our "want" :)
J Miller wrote:JD,
I've even read grips and complaints about the sacred cow, the USFA.
Ha, Ha, "sacred cow"!! That is a good one. Obviously better applied to a Colt.
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

Only a Colt can satisfy the need for a Colt. I started with one and have several now. No single action feels better (to me) than a Colt's SAA that has been tuned by a top gunsmith and fitted with ivory or beautiful wood grips. No out of the box SAA by any manufacturer can match that. Colt's SAA hasn't changed since 1873 and it has a long history of working just fine. However, if you want it to meet today's "higher" standards, send it to a reliable gunsmith and you will only love it more.

USFA are nice guns but they are not Colt's. Resale values for used ones reinforce the value of "the pony on the side". I have Colt's SAA, Colt's New Frontiers, Custom Rugers and Freedom Arms. If I hit hard times and had to pick favorites, I'd sell a kidney and keep them all. :lol:
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Take this from a guy who will be 70 next month: if there is something you have wanted "forever", and you have the money, go get the darn thing and quit fretting about it. We will all run out of "forevers" eventually, even you. Get to it. :)
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

SFRanger7GP wrote:... a Colt's SAA that has been tuned by a top gunsmith... No out of the box SAA by any manufacturer can match that...
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
RDB
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RDB »

... a Colt's SAA that has been tuned by a top gunsmith... No out of the box SAA by any manufacturer can match that...
Not true from my experience....
But agree "if" you want it, buy it. Then you'll know.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Really you answer your own question when you pose a life long desire vs. practicality. That said, the stainless Montado's are just flat out NICE.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright