Maybe The Best Mailbox Ever!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Maybe The Best Mailbox Ever!!

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Maybe The Best Mailbox Ever!!

Post by Blaine »

Did you notice that the front sight is the Mail Pickup Flag? :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Cool idea, but it only begs for someone to throw an M80 in it.
Old Law Dawg
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

That would not last a week on the back country road I live on.

My brother fixed em good. He bought a box that was about 10 inches taller than most boxes, and he poured the bottom 10" with concrete. Somebody tried to get it with a ball bat. Don't know who it was, but I bet he broke his arm!! Tom.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Probably would be illegal in New York, New Jersey, Illinois, or Wisconsin...!

A neighbor had a mailbox on a 6 ft piece of railroad rail in concrete, but 'boxed' in the above-ground part to look like a regular post, due to folks who'd run over mailboxes in their monster-trucks. If they weren't politically connected, the guys who totalled their pickup and injured the occupants severely would probably have retired on the lawsuit winnings.

Not many mailbox run-overs after that around here though... :?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Nothing like showing off to all the deadbeat passerby clientele what goodies probably await them inside(if no one is home)... :roll:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

A local hardware store sells a welded steel mailbox. Our friend mounted his on a length of structural steel he got somewhere in a large poured concrete box... His box was between two others (neighbors). The batter brigade tried for one and it followed through to his which abruptly stopped the attack. The bat bounced back and smashed the rear passenger window in the drivers' FATHER'S car. Needless to say that stopped that in that area.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Here's another:
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

"Probably would be illegal in New York, New Jersey, Illinois, or Wisconsin...!
"

Technically violates USPS rules everywhere in country & they don't have to deliver mail to such a receptacle.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

2571 wrote:"Probably would be illegal in New York, New Jersey, Illinois, or Wisconsin...!
"

Technically violates USPS rules everywhere in country & they don't have to deliver mail to such a receptacle.
Actually, it's likely legal as a custom made mailbox can be approved by the Postal Service IAW THESE standards.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

2571 wrote:"Probably would be illegal in New York, New Jersey, Illinois, or Wisconsin...!
"

Checked it out at the local PO, it is perfectly legal here in Wisconsin...but the Post Master said she would frown on it....therefore, I need one!
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Cute!

We have all kinds around here. One guy has a biplane hanging from cables. Ya open the nose to insert mail. Serves a dual purpose of looking cool and being snowplow-proof as the post is about 6 ft back of it, and it hangs from an arm about 10 feet high.

On the subject of snowplow-proof mailboxes: My dad once had a beef with a town plow driver who would absolutely bury his driveway, scraping back the bank into his yard, etc. He complained, so then the plow guy clipped off the mailbox in a little show of "who's boss".... The following spring, while wandering a scrap yard at GE, Dad got himself a mailbox "post" in the form of a coil spring from a locomotive. About 4 1/2 feet long, 15" around, and the coils themselves about 1 1/4" He potted the spring in a the ground using a couple of wheelbarrow loads of cement and attached the mailbox and newspaper tube on a board affixed to the top.
The next winter he and the town had a bit of a reprise of their feud, and sure enough one day after a 12" snow fall, he hears the plow coming up the hill. Dad yelled "here he comes" and we raced to the windows. Sure enough the plow was pushing back the snowbank, the wing plow fully extended, bailing along at maybe 30 mph. He never even attempted to raise the wing plow or avoid the mailbox, hitting that spring post with about 2 ft of wing to spare. The 10 wheeled IH plow truck snapped hard right and skittered ahead at about a 30 degree angle, swerving violently as the driver regained control, the wing plow badly bent and (I later heard) the wing extension mechanism bent beyond salvage. The little board atop the mailbox post and the box itself broke off at the moorings and we never found any of it, likely rocketed down into the woods behind the house. The spring of course was none the worse for wear except for some missing paint. Dad gleefully replaced the board and mailbox. That was about 38 years ago. Dad is gone, and the town tax assessor lives there today. The mailbox is the same one dad replaced all those years ago. Oh, FWIW the town has been real good ever since about raising the plow wing and not filling the yard with snow,.....
Certified gun nut
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Neat story AJ...
My mail box kept getting bumped...It's a post and box planted in gravel in a half a whiskey barrel half...I live at a sharp turn in the road and figured it was trucks backing up to get another angle on the turn... Wrong... It was the stand in mail delivery person.. I saw her hit the barrel part... She said she can't get used to the extended bumper on the truck!...I said I was going to make her one out of a piece of railroad track that she could practice on all she wanted...My luck is still holding and the thing hasn't moved an inch in the last year...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY