Marlin 336 Question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Marlin 336 Question

Post by Bullard4075 »

My 1951 Marlin 336 has a little,round, flush, white inlay (I don't know what else to call it) about 4 inches up from the toe of the stock.
I am going to put a sling swivel stud(?) about 2 inches up from the toe after comparing position of swivel studs on my other rifles.
I curious as to the what and why of the inlay.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin 336 Question

Post by TedH »

It's known as the Marlin Bullseye. Just sort of a trademark thing I believe, that they put in the walnut stocked leverguns.
NRA Life Member
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That is correct, trademark and NOT for ease of installation of sling swivel studs...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You have to wonder why they picked THAT spot for the 'bullseye', instead of a spot more visible to a buyer looking at a rack-displayed gun at a gun store, say on the forend. Maybe the first one was a 'plug' to cover up some stockmakers mistake...! :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
DougB
Levergunner

Post by DougB »

I have heard of some people intentionally installing the sling swivel through the bullseye. If they do want to remove the sling in the future, it is quite easy to replace the bullseye and not have to worry about a hole in the buttstock.

Sort of makes some sense in a way, although the mount would be too far forward for my liking.
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

A sling swivel stud installed through the bullseye is not very secure due to the short length of the threads on the stud.

I have replaced several bullseye`s due to people putting the stud there.