Chapparel quality

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rob Worsham
Levergunner

Chapparel quality

Post by Rob Worsham »

I know that this has been already discussed some time or another. How is the quality of Chapparel arms 1876s and 1873s comparid to a Uberti? Are the Uberti parts interchangeable? These things are really affordable but that also worries me. Any info helps. Rob
aragornelessar86
Levergunner

Re: Chapparel quality

Post by aragornelessar86 »

I've been wondering this myself and all the info I find online seems pretty conflicting. It does scare me that they no longer maintain a website though.
Puma 92, 24.5in. BBl. length, SS, .357 Mag
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

chap...no
uberti...yes
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

There is some earlier discussion on this topic here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1894&start=0
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

One more time Chapparral and quality don't go in the same sentence. They buy the parts from the lowest bidder in Italy and then when they are shipped here they mix and match to build a rifle. 38-40 rifle with a bore big enough to stick a 40 jacketed slug in from the muzzle. Sights with two milling cuts, chambers not finished cut. Chambers cut off center, need I go on? I have yet to see one of their guns without some defect. That's why the guns are all going on CDNN for 1/2 price.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

"Chaparral" and "Quaility" generally do not go together in the same sentence. :lol: Oh, once in a blue moon, someone gets one that's OK, but most are "projects." All production is now in Italy, and to compound the issue, there are NO parts on this side of pond. The nice folks in Italy will ship you some more of the same......

The Ubertis are excellent. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I got one (Chaparral) that was okay, before the Uberti's came out with their 1876. That being said, I wouldn't risk fate twice. Stick with the original, or, if not, go with an Uberti!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

My 76 Chappy in .50-95 is a good one and a fine shooter.
I understand the early Uberti 76`s have chamber dimensions non standard to what Winchester did.
The Chappy has screws and chamber to Winchester spec.
When I mounted a Marbles tang sight on mine I ordered a screw set for an original Win.76 and they were a proper fit.

If I were to buy another today it would be an Uberti. :wink:
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:My 76 Chappy in .50-95 is a good one and a fine shooter.
I understand the early Uberti 76`s have chamber dimensions non standard to what Winchester did.
The Chappy has screws and chamber to Winchester spec.
When I mounted a Marbles tang sight on mine I ordered a screw set for an original Win.76 and they were a proper fit.

If I were to buy another today it would be an Uberti. :wink:
Never handled a Chappy, so I can't make any comment on the quality there. My Uberti in 45-75 is one of the early rifles that had the incorrect chamber dimensions, but they sent a new barrel to Taylor and Company, who replaced it on my rifle. To my knowledge, the only calibre that wasn't to spec on the early Uberti guns was 45-75, and they have since corrected the issue. All that said, I have a '73 and a '76, both from Uberti, and have been very impressed with their quality and performance; they're among my favorite guns.

Good luck with your choice.