Win 1886 50-110 problem

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike8623
Levergunner

Win 1886 50-110 problem

Post by Mike8623 »

OK guys, got my Win 1886 converted to 50-110 this summer, thanks to all that helped, it's all together and I have shot it...............I have a problem though and thought I would ask here because I'm sure others have had this happen and before I start digging into it thought I would seek some advice.

The rifle works well on low and medium loads........but when I go real heavy the magazine tube works it self out........I was wondering what could be done to keep it in place..........I've thought of welding the magazine lip so that it gets full depth contact in the barrel, then drilling the hole completely through the mag cap drill a corresponding hole a ways in the barrel.......then thread the end of the mag cap screw and thread the hole in the barrel and screw the screw into the barrel through the mag cap. I've also thought of using a carbine barrel band and fit so that it can be snugged up real tight on both the barrel and mag tube.......

anyway, anyone with any other thoughts or has anyone done this before?
ArcticGoose
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Win 1886 50-110 problem

Post by ArcticGoose »

If you have a full length mag. then just drill and tap a hole in the mag. tube ring and into the mag. Then put a screw in it. If it's far enough forward it should cause no problems with the mag. and will hold your tube tight. Works well on mine. No problems with the heavy loads.
"Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not used one or is un-wittingly commenting on their marksmanship." Phil Shoemaker
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Win 1886 50-110 problem

Post by Malamute »

Which Winchester do you have, an old one or new one? I thought the newer ones had the mag tube threaded into the receiver, as did the late original 86's tho I've never had a newer one apart.

There's several things that can be done. A block can be sweated onto the mag tube that bears on the fore end cap, a block can be sweated on the mag tube and engage in a small slot cut in the underside of the barrel (Browning 92 carbines are done this way), the mag cap screw can be threaded all the way into the barrel (the Browning 86 rifle has the cap screw threaded into the barrel as factory installation), the mag cap screw can have an unthreaded extension that goes into a hole in the barrel as the Browing 86 carbines are, tho they have the mag tube threaded into the receiver. The magazine ring can and perhaps should have a cross pin that engages the tube and ring, as originals had.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?