OT: 44 magnum bullet for deer question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

OT: 44 magnum bullet for deer question

Post by bigbore442001 »

Ok. This sounds like a really simplistic question but with all candor, what is your favorite bullet for whitetailed deer using the 44 magnum? Next week, November 9th is opening day of NH gun season. I shall find myself hunting with the handgun, most likely a TC Contender Super 16 in 44 magnum attached to the frame.( I know it is not a levergun but in the area I am hunting centerfire rifles are not allowed. It is shotgun, muzzleloader or handgun. According to the regulations no mention of any maximum barrel length and since I tend to hunt from a stand I can sit in my stand and use the Super 16 off a rest. The barrel is the same length as a Winchester Trapper thus should have the same performance) So what is your favorite bullet for deer in that particular caliber? Thanks.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT: 44 magnum bullet for deer question

Post by 2X22 »

For the T/C the Lyman 429244GC.

But the buck I killed last night I used the RCBS44-245 PB @ 1150fps out of a Marlin.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've not used a Contender, but from the Redhawk or Super Blackhawk pistols, or from Ruger 96/44, Marlin 1894, or Rossi 92's, I've used factory Winchester 240 gr. JSP's, and handloaded Remington 240 gr. JSP's, both with absolute one-shot stops. Probably 1200 fps from the handguns, and 1800 fps from the rifles, and ranges from 25 yards to 100 yards. Every shot went through one side and out the other; maybe 11 out of 12 through the heart, and the other hit shoulder then spine, but still exited.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

I've killed one deer with a .429 bullet and it was out of my muzzleloader. I would suspect my muzzeloader velocity and your contender would be comparable.

I was using a Hornady 240 gr. XTP in a sabot and I shot the buck at close to 10 yards. The bullet went thru and hung up on the off side, fell out when we were field dressing. It was a classic mushroom and worked like a charm. I don't think you can go wrong with an XTP as long as you don't exceed the recommended velocity. You can run them up to about 1800 fps according to Hornady.

Here's the buck I killed with it.

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
TDF
Levergunner

Post by TDF »

I like the Hornady 300 gr. XTP. Have shot a couple of deer with it. Worked great in both instances on Whitetail Bucks. I used the Ruger Carbine in 44 mag and a handload that pushed the bullet to 1500 fps out of the 18" barrel. One of the bucks I shot with it was at a terrible angle. Bullet hit the left front shoulder, couple of ribs, knicked a lung, liver, stomach, guts, smashed offside rear thigh bone and was recovered just underneath the skin upon butchering the deer. It was a nice mushroom except one side was a little mangled from the leg bone. I would have liked to see an exit but I don't think I could have picked a worse angle that would have required me to shoot through more deer.

TDF
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

My choice is 240 or 300 grain Hornady XTP's for jacketed and 250 Keith or 310 Lee gas check for hard cast.

Really, any hollow point or flat-nosed bullet is going to do the job if you push it 900 fps or faster.

So, no worries!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Hornady 240 XTP
375hh1973
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 375hh1973 »

Killed a number of deer with a scoped 8" Colt Anaconda shooting factory 240 gr Hornady XTP and also Speer Gold Dot 270 gr ammo. Shots were 35-65 yards. All were one shot kills. Never recovered a bullet, all were pass throughs. Find a decently made bullet that shoots accurately and go kill your deer!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Another vote for the 240 Hornady XTP!
NRA Life Member
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I would mirror AJMD's post exactly. Winchester from Wally World 240 gr SP. In and out one shot stops.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I can't imagine any .44 bullet, even at cowboy FPS, not knocking the stuff out of a deer. My hunting handloads is a 300 hardcast at a moderate 1100fps. Out of my 629 it is a sledgehammer.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I too use 240gr. XTP's but have never shot a deer with them. I have however shot two deer with 200gr. XTP's loaded in a 44-40. These bullets are awsome. Accurate and effective. Both deer dropped instantly.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

1. rd 265 gr gc
2.lyman 429421

boom flop. :D

pete
DAV life member.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

240gr Federal Hydra-Shock and 250gr Win CT Partition
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Bigbore,

I use a Ruger 44 carbine, so I have only used jacketed bullets. I have used the Hornady XTP's for many kills. I used the 240's for several seasons, then switched to the 200's for a few. After having several 200's come apart and not exit, I went back to the 240's. I like to have two holes in my deer, more blood if tracking is involved. I've used factory Winchester, including the evil Black Talons. They all kill the deer.

Kevin
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I have only killed three deer with the .44 two with my Marlin 1894P and one with a hand gun. Gold dot 200 Gr .44 special (the most accurate factory load I have ever shot from the rifle) killed two and XTP .44 Mag 240 gr from the pistol.
It is not the critic who counts
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Thanks for all of the responses. I bought two boxes of Hornady's XTP bullet in the 240 grain weight. In addition I picked up an additional pound of Hodgdon's Lil Gun Powder. It is one of my favorite powders. I checked the loading charts and that 240 grain bullet should go close 1800 fps out of the 16 inch barrel.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Not putting down LilGun, but you'll more than likely get better results with H110 in the 240 gr. 44 mag loads. LilGun is the king for heavy bullets in the 357 mag, but it looses a lot of it's appeal in the 44 and 45, at least in my experience.
NRA Life Member
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

another 240 grain xtp fan
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Out of a 16" barrel.........mine is a Speer 240gr JSP, looks like this after transversing from the left rear quarter to the right front shoulder at 83 yards:

horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I like the 240 grn RNFP from Missouri Bullet Company. I reload them to approx. 1500 fps. (Very Light Recoil) It worked great for my daughters last buck at approx 75 yrds. She took him with an instant knockdown shot, although he did kick a bit and moved maybe 2 yrds, but a second shot was not required.

http://www.missouribullet.com/details.p ... &keywords=
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”