Back from the hunt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Back from the hunt

Post by Mike D. »

I returned yesterday evening after a deer free, for me anyway, week+ in the wilds of northern CA. The weather was quite wet with a night and half day of steady 40 MPH winds and driving rain, but out we went anyway. I failed to take another buck not for the lack of them but only because my bar was st very high. I had spotted a huge 6X5 buck down in Mill Creek canyon and spent most of the week trying to get close enough for a decent shot. That never happened. The "closest" I was able to get was 390 yds and although I have much faith in my old .30-06 that distance was a stretch. Consequently, I never touched the trigger. Out the 17 hunters in our camp 14 bucks were taken. 10 were 4X4s, 2 4X3, and two huge forks. One of the mulie forks weighed 170 lbs. The smallest 4X4 was (:shock:) only 75lbs but had the most symmetrical antlers of a "miniature" buck that I have ever seen. Most of the bucks averaged 140 and were 19" high and 22" wide on average.

I managed to lose my camera somewhere on the trail last Monday and stumbled back upon it Friday afternoon. It had sat out on a lava flow for 4 nights, and survived. The cover was soaked and the picture all white with moisture underneath. It dried out fine and is again good as new. Sorry, but our daughter mistakenly took my computer attachment back to SF, thinking it was hers. She left hers here which does me no good. When it returns I can post the few pics I was able to take.

I had the chance to take several good bucks, but since I had already killed two this year we needed no more meat. My search was purely for inedible antlers. That big buck had me fully under control, forcing me to pass on some very nice 4X4s, 4X3s, and even a HUGE 3X2. Mea Culpa, it was only my hard headed refusal to "see" any other deer but "The One". Maybe next year.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Back from the hunt

Post by kimwcook »

Well, Mike, at least you were able to get out and get the hunting juices flowing.
Old Law Dawg
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Mike, while I have the license, I'm in it for "the meat", not the trophy. I respect your choices very much. So, when can I come over for dinner???? :lol: Take care my friend! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Glad it was a safe trip and that you found your camera! I used to hunt to fill the freezer but now there isn't anyone home who really eats much deer meat (besides me) so I'm more selective. I've found I enjoy it just as much.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Sounds like a great trip Mike!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

No Deer and it still beat working for livin didn't it. Welcome back Mike.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Mike, sounds like you had a focused hunt, nowt' wrong wi' that :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Mike,
I still think your hunt was a personal success. I would "almost" prefer not to pull the trigger. After the trigger is pulled, the work begins and the excitement fades.......quickly------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Mighty fine hunt
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I was catching some flak for "sticking to my guns" and not taking a buck, but I did what I planned to do and didn't look back. We saw four bears down in the canyon, too. They were destroying oaks as they stripped them of acorns. The buggers just reach up and rip the branches down. They were shimmering with fat, as were the deer. Plenty browse, grass and water this year.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I had a "brain cramp" this morning and searched the garage for my stash of computer cables and, lo and behold, one fits my camera adapter and USB port. I was able to download the few photos taken before my camera was lost and a couple after it was found.

This is the first buck taken on Saturday afternoon of the opener which was 23 October. We were sitting around camp eating lunch when Dave shouted "Look at that big deer". Sure enough what appeared to be a nice buck was hightailing it across a slope and into the brush of a stream bed. We all scrambled to grab our rifles, but Dave, being a youngster, literally ran up slope for a hundred yards and intercepted the buck just before he went over the edge into the canyon. It was a 200 yard shot at the running deer, using a tower leg as a rest. POW! The buck dropped stone dead with a shot through the neck. Dave said he was aiming at the body, but who cares. The first of what would be 10 4X4s:)

Here are a few pics of the hunt country. Steep and rugged, with no smooth surfaces. One of the guys ruined a tire by backing into a super sharp basalt outcrop. We were constantly tripping and wallowing on small rocks that rolled under foot. We all looked like the Three Stooges taking turns bumbling around. :lol:
ImageImageImage

On Sunday the 24th and into Monday it rained hard, with 40 MPH winds. According to the rain gauge we got a bit over 3". It sure made a muddy mess of the roads, but we all hunted on Monday after the clouds cleared. Check out these clouds. That's our Cabela's Outfitter tent to the left. We were warm and dry through the pounding rain and wind. The snap and crackle of the 500KV wires overhead were quite loud at times, too.8)
ImageImage

After discovering my camera that had lain out in the weather for 4 long days it took a while for it to dry sufficiently to clear up the lenses. These are the last photos taken on the trip. This huge 2X3 was killed down in a rough spot, but Andy dragged him out by himself and actually loaded it into his PU single handed. The beast field dressed at 170 lbs. :o
ImageImage

Sorry, but that's all the photos taken. If I hadn't dropped the camera there would've been more, but that's the way it goes, tripping along through the lava. :roll:
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Wow,Gun hunting and camping in T-Shirts :o .that would be different. Very nice pic;s Mike and I am :mrgreen: with envey.
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

Now that is deer country! Nice bucks! It's fun looking at them even if you don't kill them!
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Nice report and pics Mike. Thanks! You are very fortunate to have a nice group of folks to hunt with every year.

I sure wish we had deer like that at the bottom of the state. I'll keep dreamin....
Chad