Home is the hunter...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Home is the hunter...

Post by Marc »

I got back this afternoon from 3 days on the mountain. This is the last week of deer season so I set the Model 64 aside and pulled out another classic Winchester - a pre-64 Model 70 in 30-06. It has been a rough season with health problems. I have only been able to make short walks so I have been hunting along the road with everybody else. Regardless the spirits of the hunt smiled on me this morning. My partner joined me this morning and we were going to go in a canyon that he killed his buck in last week since he had seen 2 other legal bucks there. There were 2 other groups of hunters already there when we pulled up so we went up the road to a Forest service road along a mountain top.

My partner spotted a doe down in the canyon at our first stop. They are in the rut so we kept looking. Then I spotted another doe further up and she was soon joined by 2 more does and lo and behold a buck! I went back to the truck and got the rifle and my pack. The buck was in the brush so I got set up in the prone with the rifle resting over the pack and cleared the grass and weeds in my shooting lane. I ranged the does at 384 yards. We watched and waited for the buck but he did not show for a long time. My partner finally spotted him feeding at the top of the little ridge they were on. I laid the cross hairs on the top of his back and sent a 130 grain TSX cross canyon. The buck collapsed and kicked enough to fall into the brush. The range of the shot was 406 yards. We drove around to the top of his ridge, went down and he was right there. Better yet you could see the highway down the canyon below. Very nice for old guys who aren't to healthy! We boned him out and I took him down to the highway and my partner went back up and brought the truck down. So I got one in spite of all the set backs this year. I am a happy camper!
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Re: Home is the hunter...

Post by mod71alaska »

Congratulations on a successful hunt, Marc! Thanks for sharing it with us. That's a buck to remember!!!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

mod71alaska wrote:Congratulations on a successful hunt, Marc! Thanks for sharing it with us. That's a buck to remember!!!
I wholly agree. Good job!
Old Law Dawg
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

That is a nice looking deer congrats. That is an incredibly long shot I cannot even imagine shooting that far.
Where I hunt in Michigan my longest shot is maybe 60-75 yds. Congrats. :D
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Glad to see you made meat despite everything. Good shot too. Eat well.

Kevin

I'm still working on a bike trailer. I've got most of the materials. Still
sketching out designs. I'll get it worked out soon.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Great to hear! That has to be a morale booster. Nice long shot too!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Good hunting. Congratulations on a nice buck.
Ricky

DWWC
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Congrats Marc!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Nice job.Being from Cal also I know how few deer can be.When you can score a buck in a
area with single digit sucess rates youre doing things right.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Good shooting! Congrats on a successful hunt. 8)
NRA Life Member
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nice shot, good buck. What did you think of the TSX performance - what kind of ammo?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Congrats! That was an excellent shot. I find it impressive as I've never shot a deer beyond 70 yards.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Well done :D
That is a loooong way, all my deer have been within 30 yards!!
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Excellent shot. You don't get shots like that around here in New England.
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

Thanks, fellows. This one did mean a lot. For me, hunting is not the important thing, it is the only thing. To not be able to hunt was very discouraging.

As for the shot, I normally won't shoot that far. I will only do it when everything is perfect and I can't get closer. Prone with a rest is as good as it gets. Normally I don't shoot at anything much past 300 yards.

OS, I am very happy with the Barnes bullets. I also killed two deer last year with the 130 TSX. All three dropped in their tracks. These are my loads with Varget and they chronographed right at 3100 FPS. I have been using X bullets since 1995. My wife and I have killed over 30 deer with Barnes bullets. Most from a 264 Win Mag and the rest from a 6MM Rem and the three with the 30-06. My wife killed the buck in the picture below with a 6MM 90 grain X at 2800 FPS. They work!
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Excellent!! Nice Model 70 too
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Good going! I knew you'd do it.

I'm going to try once more this weekend but haven't seen much in the way of sign or tracks. Old Savage may have gotten the last one.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good on you. That was a good shot. You keep getting out to hunt Marc!

Nath :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!