Any models allow topping off magazine?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ResJudicata
Levergunner

Any models allow topping off magazine?

Post by ResJudicata »

I have a Winchester 94 in 44 mag that is a great gun. I really like it. But, it appears that I can't top off the tube magazine when rounds are in the mag. Because when the action closes the loading gate drops and lets a round come back on the loading gate waiting to be loaded.

Do any of the other tube magazine levers allow topping off the magazine when not fully empty?

Thanks,
Chris

BTW, great forum. I've been lurking here for quite a while and have learned much.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Any models allow topping off magazine?

Post by Blaine »

Are you a lawyer, or Law Clerk?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I'm not a 94 person, but I can "top off" my 71. I thought the 73, 92, and 94 could also be topped off but obviously there's an issue with the 44 Mag version. I'm sure the 94 experts will be by any second. Perhaps your cartridge stop is messing up?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
ResJudicata
Levergunner

Post by ResJudicata »

BlaineG wrote:Are you a lawyer, or Law Clerk?
Lawyer. :shock:

Chris
ResJudicata
Levergunner

Post by ResJudicata »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:I'm not a 94 person, but I can "top off" my 71. I thought the 73, 92, and 94 could also be topped off but obviously there's an issue with the 44 Mag version. I'm sure the 94 experts will be by any second. Perhaps your cartridge stop is messing up?
I'll try it again with some dummy rounds. Could be me or just a burr in my gun.

Chris

ETA: Okay I looked at it again. It looks like the waiting round is back just enough to block the side gate a bit. I was able to get the gate open by wiggling and jiggling the round I was trying to get in. Should the waiting round be far enough forward so that the side gate opens easily or should the side gate have to push the round forward a bit to open?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

IIRC my gun now long gone, you just need to push in harder on the gate. I often topped it up when hunting ground hogs (yes, with a .44 Mag).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

One of my 357s had a burr on the inside lip of the loading gate that prevented topping off. I stoned a slight bevel and voila!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
ResJudicata
Levergunner

Post by ResJudicata »

Hobie wrote:IIRC my gun now long gone, you just need to push in harder on the gate. I often topped it up when hunting ground hogs (yes, with a .44 Mag).
Okay, so it sounds like I just need to use a bit more force. I can do that. :D

I'll check for a burr on the gate as well this weekend.

Thanks,
Chris
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

On my Marlin 1894's, Marlin 336's, and Rossi 92's, the loading gate pushes the 'halfway there' round forward a bit back into the magazine, when I push it in to add a cartridge.

It can be a 'firm' push if the magazine has very many in it.

I don't usually bother though; if I really needed "full magazine plus one", I'd leave the levergun at home and take a Mini-14 with a MWG 90-rounder. :twisted:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

If you polish the rib on the back edge of the gate it helps with loading and topping off. I use a triangular ceramic stone, and deburr it at the same time. It takes a bit of care to get the screw started back straight in the gate tho, with the front edge inside the frame where it needs to be. Easy to cross thread them, as the gate is angled from it's spring tension until the screw draws it to the frame and flattens it out.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Malamute wrote:If you polish the rib on the back edge of the gate it helps with loading and topping off. I use a triangular ceramic stone, and deburr it at the same time. It takes a bit of care to get the screw started back straight in the gate tho, with the front edge inside the frame where it needs to be. Easy to cross thread them, as the gate is angled from it's spring tension until the screw draws it to the frame and flattens it out.
Malamute beat me to the punch here. But what he says it spot on.
For a couple of my 94s that are a bit stiff to top off I just use the bullet on the next round and push straight in till the gate gives up, then I angle the round into the magazine.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

ResJudicata wrote:

Chris
Well, we settled that Res :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

ResJudicata wrote:

Chris
RUN fellers! Run fer the hills!!! :o

Just kidding. :D Welcome to the campfire!

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

J Miller wrote: Malamute beat me to the punch here. But what he says it spot on.
For a couple of my 94s that are a bit stiff to top off I just use the bullet on the next round and push straight in till the gate gives up, then I angle the round into the magazine.

Joe
Yep, That's what I do too.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
ResJudicata
Levergunner

Post by ResJudicata »

olyinaz wrote:
ResJudicata wrote:

Chris

Best,
Oly
Thanks for the welcome guys. Even if I am a lawyer, at least I'm a shooter. It's a start. :lol:

Chris
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

ResJudicata wrote:
olyinaz wrote:
ResJudicata wrote:

Chris

Best,
Oly
Thanks for the welcome guys. Even if I am a lawyer, at least I'm a shooter. It's a start. :lol:

Chris
I shall refrain from comments regarding what leverguns for sharks.... :lol: Actually, a good lawyer is hard to find, so welcome!

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

On a few guns I have found that chamfering a bevel on the inside of the forward edge of the loading port helps the cartridges slip in easier without abusing my thumb.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

One more tidbit. Most leverguns have a more potent mag tube spring than is needed, especially if the mag tube is kept clean. A spring 3" longer than the tube, with the spring relaxed, is plenty, and allows for less a struggle to load rounds. Oh, I dunno you personally, but some folks who don't get much more exercize for the fingers than pushing a Blackberry around find top-off loading a pain, literally. If that's you, steal a racketball from the gym and commence to squeezing it a bunch of times.....
Certified gun nut
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Hobie wrote:IIRC my gun now long gone, you just need to push in harder on the gate. I often topped it up when hunting ground hogs (yes, with a .44 Mag).

Yes...if you try mashing it a bit harder, should push the round already in the gun forward and allow you to put in the next round. Some seem to need a little wearing in to where you can load it smoothly. My Big Bore was like that. And Welcome!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8