Noob, help with scope 1894/44mag

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
chucky
Levergunner

Noob, help with scope 1894/44mag

Post by chucky »

Thinking about scoping my 1894, have really no idea what to consider except looking into using Hornady FTX out around 200 yards. And what about mounting, XS Lever scout?
Hang in there, one day we'll all be in eternity, call in advance and reserve the non-smoking section...
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Noob, help with scope 1894/44mag

Post by pwl44m »

Check with J Miller, He's our scope Man. He will guide U in the right direction on Your 94.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Trade it for a Marlin... those are D&T for optical carry handles.

44 mag... stick with a good soft point bullet.... it's a 75 yard woods gun (a learned shooter can probably stretch that range if needed) Do as you please... but if I really intended to make a 200 yard shot... we'd be getting out the 30-06 or swapping for a long flat shooter (to many to choose from)
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Chucky,

Welcome to the fire and enjoy the forum! :D

Stick with something small and lightweight for a scope. 1x4 Leupold, 1x3 Weaver, 1.5x5 Leupold, 2.5x Leupold.....etc, etc. Mount it as low as possible, as not to mess up the balance too much. I have no practical experience with the XS mount.

Follow Paco's rule of practice (100 rounds for every 100 yards you plan to shoot) and there's no reason you can't take your deer @ 150 yds or less.

As far as bullets stick to a good JSP/JHP from 240-280 grains. I have been favorably impressed with Winchester "White Box" 240 JSP's. Good accuracy, good terminal performance on game, and good speed/trajectory.

Shoot 'em up and good luck! :D

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Topmost rifle, below, is a Marlin 1894 with a Weaver Classic 2x28 Pistol scope in the original/short XS LeverScout mount.

I went with the 2x Weaver 3rd, after first buying/trying both a Burris Scout Scope & a Weaver Classic 2-x7x Pistol scope, since it was the only one that gave ME a full sight picture with a rapid gun mount.

FWIW, since all IER & LER scopes have different eye relief distance "windows", you would be well advised to first measure the distance from your eye with the rifle in shooting postion to the point on the rifle a scope's eyepiece would fall, & compare that distance to the spec sheet for each potential scope you're considering.

The Weaver 2x's 9"-17" window fit my personal ergonomics better (low end/9") the did the 11"-21" window of the 2-7 variable, or the Burris. YMMV.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

chucky wrote:Thinking about scoping my 1894, have really no idea what to consider except looking into using Hornady FTX out around 200 yards. And what about mounting, XS Lever scout?
Chucky,

Welcome to the forum.
pwl44m wrote:Check with J Miller, He's our scope Man. He will guide U in the right direction on Your 94.
Perry, is just teasing both of us on this one. I'm not a scope fan and I wouldn't really scope a lever gun for any reason.
Many of the members here can guide you in the right direction, I'm just not one of them.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

J Miller wrote:
Many of the members here can guide you in the right direction, I'm just not one of them.

Joe
That's not true Joe. You are more than willing to guide him in the right direction; you're just not willing to help him mounting a scope!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

damienph wrote:
J Miller wrote:

Joe
That's not true Joe. You are more than willing to guide him in the right direction; you're just not willing to help him mounting a scope!
Damien,

It is true. I know very little about scopes. Once you get past the old 4 power or 3x9 I'm lost. I look at the Midway selection of scopes and just scratch my head in shear amazement.
Besides, I use rubber bands to mount them ... remember :lol:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
chucky
Levergunner

Post by chucky »

Thanks yall, actually still not convinced about the deal. The WGRS is working well but my eyes arent.

Since were all here, what do you guys think about Lever Revolution Ammo?
Hang in there, one day we'll all be in eternity, call in advance and reserve the non-smoking section...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Chucky,

When it comes to sights on leverguns I much prefer the receiver mounted peep sights. At almost 60 I can still shoot them pretty good.
And there are corrective lenses that we old pharts can get to help us shoot better. This is what I'm going to do the next time I get my glasses replaced.

As for the LEVERevolution ammo, I've only tried the .45 Colt version. The 5 shots I fired at 100 yds from my Marlin 1894 Cowboy all hit the target. But the group was near 8". The accuracy from my Uberti Cattleman and Ruger BH was dismal. I won't be buying any more.

Joe
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Chucky, Cabela's has a scope for lever actions, calibrated for the leverevolution ammo for $99. Sometimes on sale for less. It is caliber specific and works well. I have a friend who has one on a Marlin 1895 in .45-70 and he loves it. I was going to get one but it is made in China so I got one of the new 3x9 redfields instead. It was $125 but is made in the USA by Leopuld. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
chucky
Levergunner

Post by chucky »

thanks rodeo, reconsidering the idea, Im also weary of supporting the world loanshark/bank.

much obliged folks
ResJudicata
Levergunner

Post by ResJudicata »

This may not be what you want but I mounted a red dot on an XS scout mount on my Winchester 94. It shoots really well and gives good field of view. I like how much easier it is to see in a low light situation.

Chris
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You might find some helpful info on 'aperture' alternatives here:

Look part-way down the page - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=20342

The Marlin 1894's are easy to scope, and since I'm a 'chin-weld' guy more than a 'cheek-weld' one, I like the 'see-through' rings that don't require a 'Weaver' rail, but rather just mount directly to the Marlin receiver's top holes. There is a picture of that setup in the above link.

As far as scope selection, the gun's recoil is pretty mild, and for hunting the main advantage scopes give you is 'dusk' vision, if you use a large-bell scope. 3-9 x 50mm scopes are pretty common, and do fine with those guns; see through rings are fine, but non-see-through rings need to be 'high' for the larger bell scopes.

If legal in your area, don't discount a laser; seeing that little red dot in the same place as my crosshairs, vs. hitting a limb in between me and the deer, is sometimes reassuring to see, just before trigger-pull.

Here's a couple of my favorite meat-getters...

Here's my son's...

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "