OT: Fuel Mileage Gadgets/Additives

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

OT: Fuel Mileage Gadgets/Additives

Post by Blaine »

Is there any additive or gadget that you would recommend to a friend because it works and saves fuel over and above the cost of the purchase? The gas price thread reminded me of this. Cetane seems to improve diesel mileage a bit, but maybe breaks even due to the cost of the cetane. I suppose a bottle of it every so often would help clean things up some.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: Fuel Mileage Gadgets/Additives

Post by adirondakjack »

For a modern engine that is running well, nope. If ya have any stumbling or other issues that could be cruddy injectors, a shot of injector cleaner is probably gonna at least pay for itself fairly soon, and often save ya money. Beyond that, check yer AIR FILTER now and again....

Oh, the all time secret gas mileage additive is AIR in yer tires. Drop even a pound or two from a tire or two, it will show in fuel mileage.
Certified gun nut
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I believe the Car companies r doing what they can to deliver the best power and economy. T.V. is proliferated with ads for improved mileage,and anyone that buys a gadget will naturally say it improved Their mileage or gave them more power. I remember back in I think the 80s or maybe 70s when People were putting Cow Magnets around Their fuel lines to get better mileage. All it did was drive the price of a 50c Cow Magnet to $3.50 and the cattlemen couldn't find them for their real purpose.
Decisive driving will definitly deliver better mileage, I just caint keep My foot out of it.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

another secret to good gas mileage is to lighten the load your engine carries. Clean out the trunk, lose 25 lbs yourself, don't pick up hitchhikers, and your mileage will improve.

Also, don't get behind women driving minivans in fast food drivethroughs.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

El Chivo wrote:another secret to good gas mileage is to lighten the load your engine carries. Clean out the trunk, lose 25 lbs yourself, don't pick up hitchhikers, and your mileage will improve.

Also, don't get behind women driving minivans in fast food drivethroughs.
That is what I mean by Decisive driving
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I'm in agreement with what adirondakjack said. I don't use gadgets or regular doses of additives in my vehicles. And I do keep my tires inflated to the max cold pressure which is 35PSI. The sticker on your vehicle will give lower pressures which do nothing for tire life or fuel economy. All it does is give a softer ride. By keeping all the filters replaced, air and fuel, and keeping the tires inflated to the cold PSI my Pathfinder averages much better mileage than the EPA thinks it should.

I have turned water contaminated gas into usable gas with Berryman B12 carb and injector cleaner. It is a water dispersant and works very well. We'll put in a can every two or three months, if we remember.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I havent tried this myself, but its interesting!

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2 ... 9_Acetone/
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

For some of the older cars, this technology (HHO) can dramatically improve mileage (e.g., 20%).

http://www.hydrogen-boost.com/

I've seen some tests on Jeeps. However, for the newer cars (e.g., multi-valve fuel injection, etc.) there is no impact. (Been some extensive testing on the Jeep forum I frequent.)

Use a K&N air filter or an FIPK, and replace the exhaust system with a hi-flo cat and you will see improved gas mileage (about 1.5 mpg for me). Other than that, I second Joe's suggestion on the tires. Mine are set at 35 lbs. of cold pressure as well.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Both of the gadget and acetone are BOGUS
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

On a modern vehicle there is really nothing you can "add" to improve fuel economy. The best thing you can do is make certain your vehicle is in top shape. Some higher mileage cars can see some improvement with new 02 sensors, but if they are to the point of not performing as designed they usually will cause your "check engine" light to come on. Keep your tires aired properly, keep a clean air filter, and use the recommended grade of engine oil. Using an oil of heavier weight than recommended can have a noticeable effect on fuel mileage. Not only is a thicker oil harder to push through the engine, if it's an engine that has a CVVT valve train, which most cars these days do, those components will not perform at peak efficiency with the wrong oil as it will affect the cam timing.
NRA Life Member
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Oh, one more thing. On modern cars, cruise control can do a better job than you can of keeping things running efficiently on a long run. Even at a steady 80 MPH, my van does better with the cruise on than I can driving it manually at 65-70.... it simply reacts sooner and at a more modulated pace. Even up over the "hump" on I-77 leading to I-81 (you NC and VA folks know where I mean, the Blue Ridge hill country), it held a steady speed and never downshifted suddenly.....
Certified gun nut
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

We have one gas station in our area that sells ethanol free gasoline and I fill up there every chance I get , not only do I get 2-2.5 better MPG but the mechanics in our area tell me they are replacing fuel pumps at an alarming rate due to the ethanol breaking down the gaskets and plastic parts of the fuel pumps. I don't know about the pumps 100% but I do see the increased MPG. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Post by Cimarron »

We have a number of ethanol free stations around here. I am not a big fan of ethanol. It seems that all it is good for is making people think we are becoming energy independent. It really costs more because of the reduced fuel mileage that you get. In my Chevy using real gas I get 28+ mpg on the highway. With ethinol I am lucky to get 25 mpg. As far as your vehicle goes I agree with the others here that suggest proper pressure in your tires and frequent filter changes being about the only thing that will give your best mileage. Also the old adage about taking it easy works too. No jackrabbit starts and no screeching stops! Drive like a sane person.
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

There are a few things you can do to improve gas mileage depending on what you drive. I have a 2009 Chevy Silverado that I added a forced air intake and exhaust. This jumped me up around 4-6 miles more per gallon. The factory exhaust and intake are very restrictive and do not allow for even flow. You can also add a chip with programmer to increase horsepower and MPG.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mich hunter wrote:There are a few things you can do to improve gas mileage depending on what you drive. I have a 2009 Chevy Silverado that I added a forced air intake and exhaust. This jumped me up around 4-6 miles more per gallon. The factory exhaust and intake are very restrictive and do not allow for even flow. You can also add a chip with programmer to increase horsepower and MPG.
Ford has really put their foot down, warrenty-wise, on ANY mods to their trucks.....chip it, or change the exhaust in any way at all, and your warrenty is toast.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

On cars which have more than 70,000 miles on them, you might also want to change the spark plugs and wires. I just recently had my '04 Explorer start getting terrible gas mileage. It has over 100,000 miles on it and was still on the factory original plugs. I changed them out for Bosch (I happen to like Bosch plugs) and the mileage came right back to where it should be. These new platinum tipped spark plugs do last longer, but they still go bad.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Ok, I guess i'm dumb, so I'll bite. What's the real purpose of a cow magnet? God Bless and have a nice Thanksgiving.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron »

rodeo kid wrote:Ok, I guess i'm dumb, so I'll bite. What's the real purpose of a cow magnet? God Bless and have a nice Thanksgiving.
To hold pictures your kids drew and your shopping list on your cow :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cow_magnet
Last edited by Cimarron on Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

BlaineG wrote:
Mich hunter wrote:There are a few things you can do to improve gas mileage depending on what you drive. I have a 2009 Chevy Silverado that I added a forced air intake and exhaust. This jumped me up around 4-6 miles more per gallon. The factory exhaust and intake are very restrictive and do not allow for even flow. You can also add a chip with programmer to increase horsepower and MPG.
Ford has really put their foot down, warrenty-wise, on ANY mods to their trucks.....chip it, or change the exhaust in any way at all, and your warrenty is toast.
Blaine, Banks makes a kit that will not void your ford warrenty.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Are not cow magnents Bulls?
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Gasoline has been used for auto fuel for over 100 years, and gas mileage has been a hot subject for over 50 years. I think all the "easy" or "shade tree mechanic" concoctions/gadgets have been tried and very few, if any have worked to any degree. Just about every chemical has been added to gas (my Dad told me of water injectors on his Model A, not necessarily for mileage, but improved combustion and HP) and every gadget has been applied to engines and there has been very, very few benefits to gas mileage (spark gaps on the distributer, magnets on the fuel lines, super spark plugs, ad infinitem). Improvements to intake systems to make the engine breathe easier actually increase gas useage and increase HP. But those mentioned above (tire inflation, carried weight, driving methods) are the best bet. Electronic engine controls were designed to meet pollution standards set down by the gov't and better mileage was a side benefit to cleaner combustion at first and now also helps mfgs meet gov't standards for mileage.

So, mebbe I'm just an old curmudgen, but I think the only way improvements in gas mileage will come from more effecient engines. Get a horse!...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Besides all of the tips above like keeping the tires inflated on the high side, I've found that a dose every so often of WalMart's little bottle of Super Tech Injector Plug cleaner (most likely just Acetone) in the tank can keep the injectors clean and functioning well. If they are dirty or plugged, you'll see a drop in mileage.

My son's '96 Jeep had 89K miles on it and when home for the weekend a couple of summers ago, he told me it was getting terrible mileage. I asked him if he'd ever added anything to clean his injectors and he gave me the typical "???" look. I added two bottles to his tank and his mileage on the tank after that was 2 mpg better.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I almost forgot about the GoldWing....if it seems a little sluggish, I'll put a bottle of plain, red jug STP on a nearly empty tank and fill it up...about 6 gal. A long ride will clean up things very nicely.

This thread, tho I didnt' say so, was looking to find some diesel tips.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have used Berrymans B-12 chemtool for years.really nasty strong stuff. carb and fuel injector cleaner.....mowers, cars, motorcycle, and my 1959 Gravely model L all seem to keep running good with a few doses of it a year.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Diesel tips:

If not equipped, install a turbo-boost gauge, and drive with boost BELOW 10psi. If a p/u, drop the tailgate (as long as it doesn't extend over 18" past taillights), remove tailgate or put a topper or cab-height shell over the bed.

A good top-end lubricant fuel additive will aid in replacing the lubricant that "ultra-low" sulphur fuel removed. Not needed EVERY tank-full, I add it about once a month (about 12-15,000) May not actually improve mileage but will extend the life of your injectors. Primary oil filter changes at 7,500 with fuel filter & both oil & filter(s) changed at round 15,000 miles. Make sure oil is formulated for diesel.

And, as far as after-market additives or devices are concerned, they (vehicle manufacturer) has to PROVE the mod harmed or caused their component to fail. Or caused the vehicle to not meet gov't emissions stds.

I am aware of only one case where the manufacturer won when sued; and that was when some yahoo used "Slick50" in a 2-stroke diesel boat engine back in the early 80's. GM & Ford both have lost almost EVERY time they pulled the "non-OEM" card outta their rear differentials.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Blaine theres a couple of things you can do for better mileage find out what the cetane level is in the fuel your buying for winter time and the best mileage it should be 50 and the gearing in the rear end, I have 410 gearing and a 5 speed I get 20 mpg with a 3/4 dodge my BIL has a 1 ton dully dodge 6 speed with 355 gearing and he gets 24 + mpg we both use K&N filters ,fuel and cetane additives. danny
Retro
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Retro »

OK, so I'm over here in South Africa, and we have different companies selling fuel, all of it coming from a few refineries, with some seekrit additives added to brand it.

I guess you guys have a similar setup.

My Rand Lover runs best on BP unleaded. And by runs best in this case I mean, the performance or lack thereof is the same on all of them but the mileage is better on BP.

My Golf Estate (Golfs are Rabbits but I don't know whether you get the Estate there, it's a full import, i.e. build in .de, station wagon, 1900 TDi) gets the best mileage on Caltex but gives much better performance on Engen.

Whatever.

On the Fox I useta have (a Fox is a Golf one / Rabbit with a boot / trunk) I played around with acetone and yea, Caltex (I think, could have been Shell) + acetone worked better than without, but BP worked better. Maybe BP adds acetone by default.

Long rambling post. Around here, find the brand that works best in your vehicle and stick to it.

I have serious doubts about magnets making a difference, but I'm always open to persuasion...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Be very careful about using cetane boosters. They may seem great, but depending on what they're made from, they may cause your combustion temps to run too hot on hard pulls, destroying injector tips prematurely. If your vehicle/eng manf'r recommends #2-D, THAT will be your best choice for fuel. Unless you've changed your injector size and/or cam timing you may actually see a drop in economy.

Most refiners of today's Ultra Low Sulphur diesel automatically vary the cloud & pour points of their diesel based area of sales and time of year. See Chevron's Product Secification. You should also read their papers on various properties of Diesel: Technical Bulletins.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

BigSky56 wrote:Blaine theres a couple of things you can do for better mileage find out what the cetane level is in the fuel your buying for winter time and the best mileage it should be 50 and the gearing in the rear end, I have 410 gearing and a 5 speed I get 20 mpg with a 3/4 dodge my BIL has a 1 ton dully dodge 6 speed with 355 gearing and he gets 24 + mpg we both use K&N filters ,fuel and cetane additives. danny
I'm finding that the Cummins Dodge is getting better MPG than the 6.4 TT Superduty......I can reliably get 17-18 on the interstate and one, maybe 2 mpg better with a cetane product that the ford dealship sells....I'm happy, tho...it's just as good as an older F150 with the small 4.6L V8...it was a 03, and didn't do better than 15-17....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I'm reminded of a product called Marvel Mystery Oil, intended for upper cylinder lubing........ya mix it with the gas, as far as I know, ....no claims of increased fuel mileage. This blowtorch conservative radio talk show host Michael Savage we have on AM 560 in Chicago is advertizing a product called Lessgas,........says it gives the lowest octane gas the power of premium octane & the significant mileage improvement, (25%?) as well. Haven't tried it yet, but I plan to, just for the hell of it. jd45
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron »

I'm running an '01 Cummins/Dodge 3/4 ton 2X4 Quad cab with the HO engine, 6 speed manual transmission and 3.54 rear end. I ordered it new and it now has 147,000 miles on it. Every thing about it is box stock. No engine modifications. Oil changes every 100 hours of operation. Regular servicing of air filter, fuel filter. Rotation of tires every other oil change (OE Michilens lasted 105,000 miles). I have kept fuel records since day one. I regularly get 22+ mpg on the highway at 70 mph. The worst I have ever gotten is 17 mpg pulling a 25' gooseneck trailer with a 10,000 lb. tractor in tow. The best I can get is 26+ mpg running 35-40 mph on the back roads to work. I stay with Phillips 66 or Texaco diesel and only fill up with others when I have to. By the way milage figures are real world pencil and paper calculations. I have found the on board computers in all my vehicles are optomistic in their mileage estimates. For those of you that don't know how to figure mileage. Fill up your fuel tank and write down your mileage. Drive your vehicle until you need to fill up again then fill it up as before and write down the mileage. Subtract the current mileage from the previous mileage and devide that by the amount of fuel you just put in. I am amazed by the number of people that don't know how to do this simple mathamatical problem. In fact most people only know "about" how much their mpg is.
Last edited by Cimarron on Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

No nothing works that I have tried!
I own The big three( Ford ,GM, Dodge. and too be onest they the new ones are no better than the old carb trucks, the stinky fuel ones are great in the dodge lol IE 12 valve cummings, but that is stinky fuel trucks. but in a gas truck nothing beets my 68 chev with a 327 for power and mileage. The new 6 L chev I own will beet it with power but I only get at best 15mpg on the hi way and the truck has no character it looks like all the others out there yuck!
Okay my grip is over and sorry for the typos too many Rums and can't fix them but I see them!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

jd45 wrote:I'm reminded of a product called Marvel Mystery Oil, intended for upper cylinder lubing........ya mix it with the gas, as far as I know, ....no claims of increased fuel mileage. This blowtorch conservative radio talk show host Michael Savage we have on AM 560 in Chicago is advertizing a product called Lessgas,........says it gives the lowest octane gas the power of premium octane & the significant mileage improvement, (25%?) as well. Haven't tried it yet, but I plan to, just for the hell of it. jd45
Higher octane gasoline will not cause your engine to make more power. The octane rating refers to the ability of the gasoline to resist detonation, so a higher octane is used in high compression engines so they can make more power without self destructing. Using an unnecessarily high octane fuel in a lower compression engine will more likely make less power and lower fuel economy, not more, due to incomplete combustion. 25% mileage improvement? :lol: Don't spend too much on that stuff! If you do try it, please post the results.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Interesting info - wondering who do you trust but using Chevron primarily the mileage seems the same after 62,000 and 7 1/2 years depending on time of year. The change the gas here with seasons and the last half of July and August are always the lows.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I hear what you're saying, claybob86. I have to say the claims he makes for this product are really beyond anything I've ever heard before, but that's apparently what the sponsor wants the public to know. If I do try it, you can be sure I'll post my results here for all you guys, (and girls). Thanx, jd45
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Blaine the cummins engines best years were 2001 thru 2006, high mileage,from 2007 on the best Ive heard of it 16 mpg. A couple of guys here in town bought 2010 fords and 2006 cummins in factory crates and had them installed for the mpg at the diesel shop. Ive got a 92 12 valve and get 20 on the hwy and 16 pulling livestock trailers if my tranny ever goes I'll drop a 6 speed in it. danny