OT--Ruger Flattop & Stupid Thinking

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

OT--Ruger Flattop & Stupid Thinking

Post by Sixgun »

Fellow Guncranks,
I was at a local gun auction last night and had one thing on my mind---A Ruger flattop .357 with a 6 and 1/2" barrel with 8 groove rifling. I have the three barrel lengths of the .44 and only one of the .357. I still need a 10" .357 but that ain't gonna happen unless I hit the lottery and I don't play games of chance.

Before the auction and during the preview I also was fondling a Winchester Lo-Wall that I thought was a .22 with a very rare #3 heavy barrel. I briefly looked at it. After I snagged the Ruger, I was so excited my mind was very cloudy. But on the other hand, I'm half Italian so being "cloudy" comes with the genes. So I bought the Lo-Wall and after the auction I loaded up the Jeep and drove home. :D :D -singing all the way-

Getting down to the dungeon and handling the Ruger, I almost got a ...well, you know. :D I inspected it (the Ruger :D )real well and was pleased. So with smiles on my face, I grabbed the Winchester and started my inspection. Almost cried. I noticed the gun was not a .22, but a .25 W.C.F., which is a 25-20. No big deal. The I noticed it would not chamber a 25-20 because of the 6 pounds of rust in the chamber. Then I noticed there was about no rifling left. Then I noticed there was no firing pin. Then I noticed a receiver screw that was pounded in, instead of screwed in. The I noticed the wood was pretty well eaten up by some unknown insects. The I noticed (boy, this "noticing" thing is gettin' old) a missing buttplate screw (no big deal). There's a few more notices, but I ain't getting into it. Here's a few pics of the goodies and NO LAUGHS at the Lo-Wall..........................please? :D

And here, I thought I had a PHD in the "School Of Hard Knocks" We all need a "refresher course" from time to time :D ----------------Sixgun

The Ruger 6 and 1/2", made about 1962 (don't have my books handy")

Look at that cool serial number! 38888 :D

My 5 flattops 10" 44 --- 7 and 1/2" 44---6 and 1/2" 44---6 and 1/2" .357--and 4 and 5/8" .357

.22 caliber???

Here she is---------"The Beauty" :D (same as throwing $400 out the window :( )
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT--Ruger Flattop & Stupid Thinking

Post by geobru »

Nice flat top Jack.

Too bad on the unnoticed notices on the low wall, but nothing a relining can't fix. Knowing how much you like to shoot your guns, I smell a resurrection coming on! :wink:
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Yeah! I'm not figuring you won't figure out something to do with it, either. Nice flattop! You know in the 70's and eighties I would have betbig money, I never would have said something like that, but I din't know about old rugers then, He he. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

What were you trying to do - get a gem and a lump of coal in the same outing? :wink:
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

The Ruger is certainly nice!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

One hand giveth, and the other hand taketh away..... :)

-Stretch
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Beautiful flattop! You'll think of something to do with the low wall once the sting goes away. I have a corner I reserve for these guns down in my gunroom. There is a 73 32-20 there now that looks no better than your low wall. :roll:
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Hey Six ! I bet My Low Wall is Uglier than Your Low Wall. Can I have the wood for $50 ?
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

uty" :D (same as throwing $400 out the window :( )

Yes, I know you're frustrated at spending that much, but it's got character.

First, you learned a lesson. Good enough on that.

Second, stop kicking yourself in the butt. No need for you to do it, there's a lot of other folks will do it for free. (grin)

I would refinish the wood just to point where it's functional but otherwise leave it as is, critter marks and all. And I'd spend the bucks to get the barrel re-lined. Wasn't someone else on here bragging on their gunsmith who did a job like that under a $100? Either re-do it to .25-20 or if possible, take it to .22LR.

I can see that rifle in the hands of some good 'ol boy in coveralls, peering down the hill through the trees watching for them dang revenoors.

I bought a Marlin 336-44 for a little more than I should have, and when I got it home, found stock at the hand grip was cracked. Oh, well, fix it, lessons learned, move on.

Refinish, fix it up, and pictures back here please. I guarantee you'll feel better.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Re line it ! That will make a swell shooter in 25-20 a perfect small game round that is reloadable.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

There ya go, another vote for re-lining. .22LR would be fine, but I just looked up the ballistics on .25-20, that's a pretty neat round.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

We could make a nice lamp out of that Winchester. :wink: :cry:
Slow is just slow.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

That Winchester is worthy of the time and money needed to bring it back to life. It can be relined back to 25-20 or rebored to 32-20. The original wood can be repaired or new wood fitted. The metal be be refinished or not, depending on your wishes. These old Winchester SSs are to good to be trashed.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Trade you my 1873 Winchester rimfire for it.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks very much guys for the suggestions. :D

Well, after reading all the posts, Charles has it right. The gun may be beat, but it is too classic to be trashed. Sorry Cas, I ain't making a lamp out of it so you can buy it from me for $10 at our next get together. :D

This is going to be a serious job and I believe I can do it. Thats all I have to do is buy a real nice Lo-Wall and exchange 99% of the parts! See what Italian thinking does for you. :D

Yep, a #3 barrel is rare on a Lo-Wall. New wood, lots of file and sandpaper work, new screws, blue job, then a reline to the 25-20. :D A change to .22 would mean a different extractor and cut. Its nothing like my original Lo-Wall in .22 LR. Plus a change in the breech block for a .22. 25-20 it is, with the possibility of a 32-20, which is my favorite pistol caliber cartridge.

Mescalero, Where you been hidin'?------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD