1873 Winchesteer Restoration/Rebuild - The Beginning

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

1873 Winchesteer Restoration/Rebuild - The Beginning

Post by Wayne Miller »

Here are some pics of a Second Model '73 Winchester I picked up yesterday as a rebuild project. It is not even CLOSE to collectable or shootable at this stage. Heck, it isn't even good enough for a wall-hanger. I am going to do a complete rebuild/restoration, doing as much of the work myself as I can. This will include restocking, replacing parts as needed, all of the hand polishing, the nitre bluing and the rust bluing. I have guys locally who can do the barrel relining (John Taylor) and relettering/remarking (http://www.gunfancy.com). At this point, aside from the restocking, relettering and refinishing, it needs a new mag tube and spring (you can see in one of the pics that the tube is bent), a new mag tube plug, a new mainspring and lever-safety tab spring, and possibly a new dust cover. It may also need a new buttplate since whoever restocked it with a pine 2X6 ground the lower end of the buttplate off. I will see if the ground off material can be built back up with welding. The bore is an absolute sewer pipe, and yes, that IS a buckhorn rear sight in the front sight dovetail. No, I have NO idea why....

Image]

I've had the sideplates off, and the links and pins look OK, although the firing pin is stuck, protruding from the breechface. Once I start tearing it down, I'll post an update. Once thing you CAN be assured of is that the butstock and foreend will be going in the wood stove as soon as I get them off!! ;D
Wayne Miller
(Known as "Mossyrock" elsewhere)

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
seasprite
Levergunner

Re: 1873 Winchesteer Restoration/Rebuild - The Beginning

Post by seasprite »

Good luck can't wait to see your progress.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

seasprite wrote:Good luck can't wait to see your progress.
+1 Keep us updated on your rebuild. And I totally agree about the furniture being firewood.
Old Law Dawg
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

>I totally agree about the furniture being firewood.

Now, that's insulting to firewood. But that is a prime restoration candidate, no doubt about it. Can't wait to see the results.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Wayne,
Thanks for the pics. Will be interested to see the progress. If you need some stump walnut let me know, I have plenty.
M. M.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Good luck on this project. Be sure to take plenty of pictures in progress. I can see this being a great series of posts! :D
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Looks like a fun project. Cant wait to see its progress.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Good luck with your project. After looking at your '73, I feel pretty good about some of my "restoration" projects.

And, thanks for the link to Dale Woody's website. I have a Colt Officer's Model 22 revolver that is in desperate need of his talent.
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

damienph wrote:And, thanks for the link to Dale Woody's website. I have a Colt Officer's Model 22 revolver that is in desperate need of his talent.
Dale has done a couple of re-letter jobs for me in the past. I just wish he had a template for the markings on a '58 Remington revolver barrel..but that's ANOTHER project... :mrgreen:
Wayne Miller

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

Don't know what Dale Woody charges these days (havn't used him in years), but I might be able to save you a few dollars on the markings; roll marking them instead of engraving.

V/R

Mike
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 1873 Winchester Restoration/Rebuild - The Beginning

Post by Wayne Miller »

Mike,

I was going to touch base with you anyway regarding color case hardening. Are you in a position to charcoal blue the receiver and color case the hammer, lever, etc? Given the choice between roll marking and engraving, I'll take roll marking. Can you remark the serial number and tang markings?

Wayne
Wayne Miller

Lone Watie
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

Wayne

Full service restoration shop, so Yes.

Drop me an e-mail or PM and we can discuss off-line

V/R

Mike
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Will watch this one with interest, I have the rimfire version.
Need to restore mine or find a good home to someone who will.
Like in the other post, I have no-one to leave it to.