OT Which bullets for a Garand?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

OT Which bullets for a Garand?

Post by pharmseller »

I picked up some IMR4895 today and now I need bullets.
I don't need match accuracy, I'm just looking for some good banging away bullets.
I'm using once-fired mixed brass anyway.
What do y'all buy and where?

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT Which bullets for a Garand?

Post by jnyork »

damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I bought several hundred 165gr FMJ BTs from Midway when they had a blemished bullet sale earlier this year. I also bought a few hundred 174gr .312" FMJ BTs (for my Lee Enfields and my 1909 Argentine) that they were advertising at the same time. They are repackaged bulk components from an unidentified manufacturer.

To me, they look like the same size and type (that I have) made by Hornady.

I don't remember what I paid for them but I know that they were priced pretty low and I can't figure out why they are considered blems.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

If you're asking what bullets are most suitable, most will say 150-165 gr, tho the powder is more of an issue than the bullet. A medium buring powder works best with any bullet weight in the Garand to keep the port pressure from getting too high, tho that can be mitigated with the adjustable gas plugs that are available. The old American Rifleman magazines used to have articles on reloading for the M-1 rifle. You may be able to find the artiles online, or thru the CMP website. IMR 4894 is a good powder for the M-1 rifle. It's what was used in service ball ammo w/ 150 gr bullets. I don't recall the charge. Other powders were used at various times, but that was a standard. IMR 4895 is also used with heavier bullets in loads for the M-1 rifle. It may not be "optimum" for heavier bullets, but seems to be a good choice for loads for the M-1.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Malamute wrote:If you're asking what bullets are most suitable, most will say 150-165 gr, tho the powder is more of an issue than the bullet. A medium buring powder works best with any bullet weight in the Garand to keep the port pressure from getting too high, tho that can be mitigated with the adjustable gas plugs that are available. The old American Rifleman magazines used to have articles on reloading for the M-1 rifle. You may be able to find the artiles online, or thru the CMP website. IMR 4894 is a good powder for the M-1 rifle. It's what was used in service ball ammo w/ 150 gr bullets. I don't recall the charge. Other powders were used at various times, but that was a standard. IMR 4895 is also used with heavier bullets in loads for the M-1 rifle. It may not be "optimum" for heavier bullets, but seems to be a good choice for loads for the M-1.
+1. Mine loves 150s. Moderate loads are great, I generally use 4895 but have used 4350 or 3031 in a pinch.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Baja_Traveler
Levergunner

Post by Baja_Traveler »

I've been shooting gas checked cast for the past several years with great success. Better than 1k rounds down the pipe and No leading or gas port problems that I've been warned about by those who say it can't be done. I've been casting up Lyman 311299 200gr medium hardness, checking them and loading over 33.6 grains 4895. A load I slowly worked up to just eject the first round off the enbloc at firing (upward pressure on the bolt is less with the others). They work great for the DCM matches, and several months ago I started using the Garand in the Military rifle Silhouette matches. More than enough oomph to knock the 200 yard rams down, and the 50 yard chickens get positively hammered with that 200gr chunk of lead.

Usual disclaimers - your results may vary...
gunner69
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gunner69 »

You didn't mention the purpose of the bullet...... hunting, plinking, or competition? In the '06 I prefer the 165 - 168gr bullet for about everything I do. That includes hunting, plinking and competition. Your particular barrel may prefer something different. Load several weights and try them on a NICE day. That's the only way to find out...... and it's a bunch of fun to boot. :mrgreen:
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

My cartridges of the world book shows 50gr of IMR 4895 as one of the M2 ball loads with a 150gr bullet, also the same powder charge behind a 172gr match bullet. Years ago when I was really shooting my Garands I found that a load of 55gr of IMR 4831 behind a 150gr Remington Bronze tip was not only extremely gentle on the gun but fairly accurate too. It's way below a max load and piles the brass about 3 feet away from you.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Yodar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yodar »

Hi Pharmseller,

I am not an expert on M1s put I thought you might be interested in the following.

1.) A friend of mine was a competitive rifle shooter using the M1. He used commercial cases, Winchester large rifle primers, 47 grains of IMR-4895, and 150 grain Sierra boat tail Match King bullets. Overall cartridge length was 3.236 inches. He did quite well with this load.

2.) From the Nov./Dec., 1994 American Riflleman, page 65: "The ballistics of Ball M2 service ammunition (2740 +/-30 fps) with a 150 grain spitzer flat base bullet are approximated in GI cases with a charge of 47.5 grains of current Hodgdon or IMR-4895 or 50 grains of IMR-4064 or W-748."

3.) From Handloader No. 139, May-June,1989 a load using the Sierra 150 grain Match King is as follows: Lake City Match cases, Federal 210 primers, 48 grains of IMR-4895 for a velocity of 2800 fps. OAL = 3.32"

Be careful, have fun, and watch out for "M1 thumb".