Amandas New Gun!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Amandas New Gun!!

Post by n2t »

So with the 7-30 waters giving me a huge headache this close to the leverguns hog hunt, I needed something reliable for bear/deer/hogs for the GF without a lot of recoil. Well why not get a levergun right? So we picked up an 1894CS in .357mag..the hogs and deer are in trouble now!
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg29 ... ns/026.jpg
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Amandas New Gun!!

Post by AJMD429 »

THAT will likely become one of Amanda's favorite guns of all time. 8) 8) 8)

Just too darned easy to shoot NOT to be fun.

If it needs 'slicked up' (some of the new Marlins are stiff and rough) there are links on this forum that show how, or NKJ would be happy to do it for a reasonable fee. They really DO run nicer when smoothed-up a little. I smoothed-up my first one by just shooting about 5,000 rounds through it, but there are faster ways.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

AJMD429 wrote:THAT will likely become one of Amanda's favorite guns of all time. 8) 8) 8)

Just too darned easy to shoot NOT to be fun.

If it needs 'slicked up' (some of the new Marlins are stiff and rough) there are links on this forum that show how, or NKJ would be happy to do it for a reasonable fee. They really DO run nicer when smoothed-up a little. I smoothed-up my first one by just shooting about 5,000 rounds through it, but there are faster ways.
+1 :D

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Good snag Wil and Amanda. I had one of those a long time ago and traded it off like a dummy. Need to pick me up another .357 levergun someday. See ya'll in a few weeks. Don't forget your boots :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excellent! :D
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Neat :D

Them flip up scope covers! Had some once but found they caused misting of the lenses in rain!
I got rid. Just warning you :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

We're trying diff covers, the rubber ones fell apart in one deer season, so we're trying these next. I really wanted to do the 7-30 waters for the gf, but we started having case head separation on the brass at 2grn below max loadings..and odd 2-1 groups where at 200 yards we would get one group 8" high, and anthter 6" low and nothign in the middle..and both groups were about 3". It was just frustrating so I gave up and went to something I think will be more relyable. I think this will do fine as a deer/hog/antelope gun for her, and her eyesight isn't the greatest so the scope comes in handy. I really hope quality/quality controle on these guns is above what I have seen with the TCs, that was a lot of time invested for nothing.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Congrats on the.357.

On the 7-30 Waters, what's the age of the brass? How many times has it been reloaded? Check the headspace. If that's ok, do a chamber cast.

After you figure out the casehead separations, do anaccuracy check by removing the forearm, mag., etc.; shoot it for groups as a singleshot. That'll tell you what the gun's "natural" accuracy" should be. Then when you reassrmble it, watch for any binding or tight spots. Those can cause vertical changes in POI.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Nath wrote:Them flip up scope covers! Had some once but found they caused misting of the lenses in rain!
Funny - I was going to say I had the same kind (little red lever on the rear one), and really have liked them...! :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

The brass was on it's 3rd fireing, complete case head separation. I am unsure how to remove the mag, it was a TC contender..rather than go to all that trouble, considering it was both shooting groups that indicated bad headspace and blowing brass, I just gave it back to the dealer. I hate problem child guns..they work or they don't I am not set up to cast chambers nor do I want to get barrels that should be done correctly the first time fixed. I simply returned it to the dealer as suspected headspace issue and used the cash from that as well as a .357mag that's porting was killing my hearing to purchase her the new .357 mag. I think it'll lake the issues of the other guns and prove a accurate, gentle recoiling and relyable hunting arm for the GF.