1873 Winchester Rebuild - The Bon Fire

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

1873 Winchester Rebuild - The Bon Fire

Post by Wayne Miller »

Well, the game is afoot! First order of business was to remove the custom pine stock and fore end and donate them to the house heating project. I am happy to report that they came off with no issues and burned nicely. Even thought they were pine, I am happy to report that they were VERY nicely inlet, and wood to metal fit was actually pretty good. Stock shaping? Not so much.... :shock:

One thing I did encounter was that whoever disassembled and reassembled this rifle for the glorious reblue it now carries had no idea how the magazine tube retaining ring on a Winchester actually works. The ring (or "bearing") fits in a rotary dovetail. Unlike a standard dovetail like a front or rear sight, this dovetail requires you to rotate the tube a quarter turn either direction to remove it, as opposed to simply drifting it out of the dovetail with a punch. Someone should have told the last guy that, because he removed it, and reinstalled it, with a punch and a big hammer. :o I am pretty sure the dovetail on the barrel can be salvaged with some judicious peening, but I think the mag ring is shot. The list of required replacement parts grows.....
Wayne Miller
(Known as "Mossyrock" elsewhere)

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1873 Winchester Rebuild - The Bon Fire

Post by M. M. Wright »

The tube ring on an 86 works the same way. Mine had the same treatment as your 73. Had to solder it back in.

M. M.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

You can get a new ring (I understand wanting to keep the original). I don't know if I have the info at work.

Found it: http://www.johntaylormachine.com/55.0.html
Old Law Dawg
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

kimwcook wrote:You can get a new ring (I understand wanting to keep the original). I don't know if I have the info at work.

Found it: http://www.johntaylormachine.com/55.0.html
Yeah, I'll ask John about it when I drop the barrel off for the reline....have to fit the wood first, THEN have him pull the barrel so I can be polishing the receiver while he is relining the barrel....
Wayne Miller
(Known as "Mossyrock" elsewhere)

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie