Crimping the .30-30 cartridge

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
chipper
Levergunner

Crimping the .30-30 cartridge

Post by chipper »

After reading the post on pointed bullets in tubular magazines,I came up with another question for those of you who reload for the old .30-30 win.
Do you crimp the bullet in place for use in tubular magazines and have you ever had a bullet pushed back into the case due to recoil or spring pressure ?

I seat my 150gr. bullets out as far as I can without touching the rifling and I never use a crimp.I have never had one pushed back into the case,so far, but I have only had my .30-30 for a couple years.

What do you more experienced lever gunners have to say on this subject ? :roll:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Crimping the .30-30 cartridge

Post by J Miller »

chipper wrote:After reading the post on pointed bullets in tubular magazines,I came up with another question for those of you who reload for the old .30-30 win.
Do you crimp the bullet in place for use in tubular magazines and have you ever had a bullet pushed back into the case due to recoil or spring pressure ?

I seat my 150gr. bullets out as far as I can without touching the rifling and I never use a crimp.I have never had one pushed back into the case,so far, but I have only had my .30-30 for a couple years.

What do you more experienced lever gunners have to say on this subject ? :roll:
Chipper,
The 30-30 is so well proven I see no reason to change anything.
I seat to the cannelure, if the bullet has one, and lightly crimp into it. I've never had a bullet in one of my hand loads move back into the case.

Bullets staying put is more neck tension than crimp. For example, in my bolt action rifles most of the bullets I use do not have crimp groves, so, no crimp. Never had one budge.
The only rounds I crimp are for the tubular magazines and military type ammo, and even then I just lightly roll the case mouth into the cannelure.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

What Joe said...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

If you have trouble with 30-30 crimping the Lee factory crimp die can be an inexpensive, effective solution.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I use a Lee factory Crimp die, and do a light crimp.

Works for me in my 26" barreled Legacy that holds eight in the tube.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I go with a different ( not better, prolly) thought that a fairly heavy Lee FD crimp lets the pressure build better and makes better use of the powder in there....Nope, I can't prove a thing. :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

I'm halfway between Leftydude and BlaineG. I use a Lee Factory Crimp die for a moderate crimp in the midpoint of the crimping groove. I've done this for years, with all of my 30-30's. Like Blaine I think this helps equalize pressure with uniform powder burn. No, I can't prove it, but I've done it this way ever since Lee came out with the FCD, and before that, I'd bump a light crimp in the crimping groove with my seating die--but as a separate operation after the bullet seating is done and the seating stem is backed out of the die a bit so as to not push the bullet in further while crimping.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

The crimp also has to do with what powder you are using. For a reduced load I use a medium to heavy crimp on lead rounds.

With a jacketed bullet and say Reloader 7 powder I will use the light LFCD crimp.
SASS# 51223

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I shoot a lot of cast bullets in my 30-30's. Mostly Lyman 311041 (180 gr. flat nose) and 311467 (180 gr. semi-pointy). I like to bell slightly with the Lyman 2-step expander die so I don't shave any lead when seating, and then when seating I adjust the seater die so it just removes the bell without trying for any crimp. I never have any noticeable movement of these bullets in a good case.

Over the years, using scrounged and/or purchased once-fired cases, I have found the occasional case that normal sizing procedure didn't produce a tight enough case neck for a firm bullet hold. I just toss such a case.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I usually crimp the 30-30 or any tubular mag round jut in case. I like the Lee FCD it is easy and performs as advertised. Do I need to ? Is it necessary? I don't know to both questions but crimps work for me. If you don't want to spend the time (minimal) fine then don't, but all the major manufacturers do, your call.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

he is another vote for the lee FCD.FWIW the ranch dog mold for you cast 30/30 shooters should be on top of your christmas list :idea: :D

pete

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/index.p ... ucts_id=31
DAV life member.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I use a roll crimp. With properly prepared cases, it's easy. I have found nary a reason to add what I view as a totally unnecessary step to the process. I went to the trouble of buying a LFCD and loaded 30 identical loads, 15 of each, roll & crimp. I wasn't having a good shooting day, but found no advantage.

i learned how to reload some 37 years ago with the .30-30. I've experimented with all kinds of techniques and gadgets, I always end up back where I started, doing it just like my mentor and the Lyman manual tught me.

In that time I've have maybe had ONE bullet pushed back. BUT! Since a good, conistent crimp also aids ignition and bullet release, I will continue to do so.

Lefty,
You're seating 'em out too far! I can get 9 of my 150's in mine! :P :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Dirty Dan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Dirty Dan »

Yes- Lee FCD on everything, even on some pointy bullets w/o cannelure, using moderate pressure.
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. - John Steinbeck
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

txpete wrote:he is another vote for the lee FCD.FWIW the ranch dog mold for you cast 30/30 shooters should be on top of your christmas list :idea: :D

pete

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/index.p ... ucts_id=31
Pete,

I don't cast now, no room for it. Does anybody you know sell those Ranch Dog bullets? I'd like to try some.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Griff wrote:I use a roll crimp. With properly prepared cases, it's easy. I have found nary a reason to add what I view as a totally unnecessary step to the process. I went to the trouble of buying a LFCD and loaded 30 identical loads, 15 of each, roll & crimp. I wasn't having a good shooting day, but found no advantage.

i learned how to reload some 37 years ago with the .30-30. I've experimented with all kinds of techniques and gadgets, I always end up back where I started, doing it just like my mentor and the Lyman manual tught me.

In that time I've have maybe had ONE bullet pushed back. BUT! Since a good, conistent crimp also aids ignition and bullet release, I will continue to do so.

Lefty,
You're seating 'em out too far! I can get 9 of my 150's in mine! :P :lol: :lol:
I am shooting 170's in mine, and crimping in the crimp groove.

I may just try cutting the spring back a little to get nine in the tube.
SASS# 51223

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

A cannelure is not necessary w/the LFCD. Top notch product. 1886.
chipper
Levergunner

Post by chipper »

Thanks for the input,I appreciate it.I think I'll pick up a Lee FCD and load some up to compare with my other reloads.I won't be doing any shooting until warmer weather gets here though.I have enough trouble trying to hold her steady when it's nice and warm outside. :lol:
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

chipper wrote:Thanks for the input,I appreciate it.I think I'll pick up a Lee FCD and load some up to compare with my other reloads.I won't be doing any shooting until warmer weather gets here though.I have enough trouble trying to hold her steady when it's nice and warm outside. :lol:

I crimp 30/30s, not heavy, just roll the mouth into the canalure. I have had factory ammo allow the bullet to set back into the case several times. They looked like they had no crimp at all & if memory serves were Remingtons. I dont crimp for bolt actions but theres a big difference in what the ammo is subjected to. Theres fewer forces trying to move a bullet in a bolt gun that a tube fed lever gun.
That said I'v never had a 30/30 handloaded round as easy to push the bullet into the case as with those factory rounds. Given the ammount of force I need to move one I'v loaded myself the crimp might not be needed, but it belongs there so I do it. Why mess with what works? :wink: