Browning SRC problems?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Browning SRC problems?

Post by rjohns94 »

Any opinions on the browning version of the SRC in 45-70? 22 inch barrel. Standard grade. Have a shot at one for a trade and I can't decide between that one and the 26 inch high grade 1886 I posted earlier. I would should either one. Both currently in unfired condition.

Or should I just go with a 1895 marlin guide gun or cowboy? I think the Marlin is a much stronger action.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

TAKE THIS TO THE BANK : THE MARLIN IS NO WHERE EVEN CLOSE TO THE STRENGTH OF THE BROWNING/WINCHESTER 1886 ACTION. THAT BEING SAID BOTH ARE PERFECTLY CAPABLE OF DOING THEIR JOBS IN FINE STYLE. BOTH MY BROWNING '86 AND THE MARLIN COWBOY 45-70 WORK AND SHOOT GREAT. THERE IS ALSO NO DOUBT THE BROWNING '86 IS A CLASSIER RIFLE THAN THE MARLIN FOR WHATEVER THAT MIGHT BE WORTH.
PS: ALWAYS BUY A HIGH GRADE GIVEN THE CHANCE.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Strength

Post by rjohns94 »

thanks Terry for the response. I thought , perhaps through reloading manuals and Garrett website, that the various degrees of pressures generated by different loads of the 45-70, that the stronger guns ascend from the trapdoors(being the weakest) up to lever guns(1876,1886) and then into the Ruger actions and Marlin 1895. Your info that the 1886 is stronger in the browning is news to me. Your expertise is appreciated. Perhaps you could run me through that "lineage of strength " lineup from your perspective. That would be very beneficial to me. (And I really like the high grade rilfe FWIW)
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I have all three, a Browning rifle, carbine, and an early Marlin 95 on the 336 action.

Since getting the Brownings, the Marlin mostly sits in storage, it just isnt anywhere near the gun the 86 action is, in slickness, finish, reliability, and user friendliness. Since getting the carbine, the Browning rifle mostly sits in the rack, the carbine is as close to the perfect 45-70 as I've ever seen or handled. Mine has had the barrel sut to 20", Lyman No 56 reciever sight and sling installed. I'm looking for a shotgun butt for it also. Still, even if unaltered, I wouldnt trade it for a truckload of anything else if compelled to use whatever I had to trade for.

Just my opinion. YMMV :D
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Mike,

I think that in order (and I'm bound to miss something), you've got class I, II and III guns.
Class I guns are the trapdoors and any other gun that rightly should be limited, for whatever reason, to BP pressures.

Class II is the post-1972 Marlin 1895 and Miroku made Brownings and Winchesters. If you look at Snooky Williams' loading of all Winchester 1886s, you'll see he ran some pretty rugged loads through some of them. I think the nickel steel barrels are really the limiting factor there, rather, if it DOESN'T have a nickel steel barrel it should be limited to BP pressures. I think you can load a Miroku 1886 to wear you can't stand it before the gun can't handle it. :wink:

Class III is limited to the Siamese Mauser conversions and the various strong single-shots like the Ruger #1.

Ken Waters laid these out in a very logical manner. You should read his pet Loads article on this.

All that comes to me loving my Miroku/Browning 1886 SRC. Darn nice gun and accurate, too!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Terry is absolutely right about the '86 action being stronger than the Marlin 1895 action. He is also absolutely right about the Browning '86 being a 'classier' gun than the Marlin. The fit and finish of the Browning '86 is excellent, definitely a couple steps above the Marlin (I've owned both a Marlin 1895 and a Browning 86 SRC). Between the Browning rifle and the Browning SRC, my preference would be the SRC. You can't get much more portable and lighter for an 1886 than the SRC version. The only thing you may want to do is to change out the rear ladder sight for a more conventional sight that has vertical adjustment, and you may want to wrap the saddle ring to keep it from clinking around while hunting. However, I have hunted with the one I had (and dropped a nice 300 pound buck with it) and I've never had a problem with the ring clinking while hunting, at least not the way I handle a rifle while hunting.

In order of action strength from weakest to strongest: Trapdoor, modern Marlin, modern 1886, Ruger. However, unless you are really going to stoke up those loads, which I see no need for, you really wont need to worry about whether the Marlin or 1886 is stronger. I have heard, however, that some 1886's will not chamber some Garret loads simply because the olgive of the bullet hits the rifling on the '86 before the cartridge is fully chambered.
Last edited by KirkD on Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I believe the 1886 reference in the manuals is regarding the original Winchesters. They were not all made with the same steel. The earliest guns were built for black powder ammo, the latest original Winchester 1886's are considered to be on a par with the 71 action. The Brownings are made with even better metalurgy.

Wow! What flurry of answers in a short period!
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Hey Malamute. When you mention the best gun ever made you can count on a lot of posts. :D

Snow and ice here today.

Don McCullough
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Hey Malamute. When you mention the best gun ever made you can count on a lot of posts. :D

Snow and ice here today.

Don McCullough
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Browning SRC problems?

Post by Grizz »

rjohns94 wrote:Any opinions on the browning version of the SRC in 45-70? 22 inch barrel. Standard grade. Have a shot at one for a trade and I can't decide between that one and the 26 inch high grade 1886 I posted earlier. I would should either one. Both currently in unfired condition.

Or should I just go with a 1895 marlin guide gun or cowboy? I think the Marlin is a much stronger action.
I have one and I love that thing. Only you can decide about the barrel length. But I can affirm everything everyone said about the quality of the Browning.

If two of them are out of the question right now, get the one you will use the most, I'd think..,

Grizz
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I think it was Phil Spangenberger? (spelling) whose article I read in 1985 about his shooting and testing out the then new 1886 Miroku Brownings in 45:70. I was hooked to get one and went immediately to a big gunstore where I was told they were getting 6 rifles in several months from then. I put down a deposit right then. I got it allright, a year later, for $479.00 brand new in the box. It is the favorite rifle I own to this day, and I did get the SRC in about 1990 or 91. It's a virgin still, I've got to shoot it soon. They are guns I don't want any politician to ever even see, let alone steal from me. I can just imagine Chuck Schumer getting excited to see a gun like any of these Brownings dropping into the smelter. BULL!!!!!
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Thanks to all. I have learned much. I chose the SRC. Thanks!!!!!
Mike Johnson,

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

If you have the means grab both. 1886.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Don't think I will get both. :D :D I am trying to cut back, not add to the collection. here is the link to the high grade rifle for those who have more means than I, (1886?):

[/url]http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=91172725
Mike Johnson,

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

You'll like the carbine, it's very nice to carry compared to the rifle. Here's mine, and the companion mountain gear for bear country.

[img][img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/ ... 97fae0.jpg[/img][/img]
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I wish. The Hi Grade prices are going out of sight. I had an opportunity at a "used one" about 14 months ago. By used I mean scratched and dinged for $1400.00. I am not sure if I made the right move but I passed. The shop had a near mint Browning 71 for $800.00 and I felt the Browning a better buy so... If I had the means I would have grabbed both. By the way I did pick up a like new 86 SRC from a forum member last fall. It is among my favorites. I am sure you will cherish yours. Look forward to the range report. Regards, 1886.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

I think you'll really like your new Browning '86 SRC, Mike. My '86 SRC is among my favorite leverguns.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I sure like my SRC!

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Hey Y.K. What is the rear sight on your SRC and why did you change? Regards. 1886.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

1886 wrote:Hey Y.K. What is the rear sight on your SRC and why did you change? Regards. 1886.
It looks like a Williams barrel sight to me.

I have a Browning 1886 High Grade, and I just dropped mine off at the gunsmith yesterday, to get it drilled and tapped for a Williams FP-71.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I keep seeing the title of this thread,....the only real problem with the Browning 86 carbine was that they didnt make enough of them.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

rjohns94 wrote:Thanks to all. I have learned much. I chose the SRC. Thanks!!!!!
Congrats, can not wait to see it!
Here's mine.

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Lastmohecken wrote:
1886 wrote:Hey Y.K. What is the rear sight on your SRC and why did you change? Regards. 1886.
It looks like a Williams barrel sight to me.

I have a Browning 1886 High Grade, and I just dropped mine off at the gunsmith yesterday, to get it drilled and tapped for a Williams FP-71.
It is - and it came with the gun. I bought this used on GB last year. Haven't decided yet whether I will switch it out for something else.