OT: Eotec on AR-10

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Eotec on AR-10

Post by olyinaz »

Well here's that AR-10 I told you guys about (Bushmaster - Sportsman's Warehouse $799). What I'm wondering is if there's any tips to be had regarding the mounting location of an Eotec sight on the top rail?

Thanks,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT: Eotec on AR-10

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Mount it forward more and shoot with both eyes open. Very, Very fast, shots out to 200 yards will be no problem! :D

Nice shooting iron, have fun!

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

CEMENTHEAD wrote:Mount it forward more and shoot with both eyes open. Very, Very fast, shots out to 200 yards will be no problem! :D

Nice shooting iron, have fun!

Thanks, Tom
That would be my advice too, mount it as far forward on the receiver as possible.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Thanks, I'll move it forward and start from there. The battery compartment of the Eotec actually hangs above the rifle so I will be able to hang it over the barrel nut and move the sight quite a bit forward.

One gripe: Why Eotecs don't ship with some sort of lens cover (given how bloody expensive they are) is really beyond me. I love 'em, but they tell you straight up that removing the protective cover to install a GG&G flip up cover system voids the warranty. :evil: Not happy about that at all!!!

If only ACOGs weren't even MORE expensive...

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

A great combination, for up to about 300 yards, as the center dot is small enough for great accuracy and speed. Here is the cover I us on mine.
http://www.bhigear.com/eotechneopreneco ... eries.aspx
It is not the critic who counts
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Thanks!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

olyinaz wrote:One gripe: Why Eotecs don't ship with some sort of lens cover (given how bloody expensive they are) is really beyond me. I love 'em, but they tell you straight up that removing the protective cover to install a GG&G flip up cover system voids the warranty. :evil: Not happy about that at all!!!

If only ACOGs weren't even MORE expensive...

Oly
When I bought my 512 I got it thru GG&G with the mount included, at the time it was the cheapest route to take. I called Eotech before I ordered it and was advised that if GG&G mounted it the warranty was still good. About a month after that they came out with the cover in the package. :cry:

I had an ACOG TA01, very nice scope. But for the money you spend on one you can buy an excellent piece of glass and have money left. The attraction about ACOG's is how compact they are. I found them to be more sensitive to eye positioning more so than other standard configuation high quality scopes.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Oly, was that a special order Gun ? Looked on SW website and can't find one or any Gun for that matter other than Black Powder. Cheapest 308 I saw yesterday was $1349
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Thanks Rob. I've got the GG&G cover installed and I'll just have to hope for the best.

P44: That rifle was a special sale item at SW about a month ago and they lasted for maybe three nanoseconds before the word got out and they were gone (at least here in Tucson). You can call around, but I'm certain that they're history at all locations by now. I can't say enough about how good SW is to me in Tucson. I put the rifle on layaway because I knew a smoking deal when I saw it (I've been looking at AR-10s for maybe two years now), and then I cam in about three weeks later when SW was running a "No Sales Tax" sale and they gladly let me pick it up with that sale in effect. In other words, I walked out the door with it for $799 exactly. I'm just tickled pink about that deal I can assure you and I also like the fact that this AR is a mid-length carbine because that's my favorite configuration.

At this time the cheapest AR-10 they still have at my local SW is a DPMS carbine on sale for $949, which is still a good deal for the particular model in question because it's not a "Sportical" but a more fully featured AR with forward assist etc., but it's not a gaga deal like the Bushmaster was.

I've got the PMAGs for it as you can see, a CAA cheek rest installed, Magpul MOE grip, POF three port compensator, a hydraulic AR-Restor shock buffer, Eotec (I'm not a ninja nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night so I went with the 512), and a VLTOR BCM Gunfighter charging handle installed. Even with those goodies I'm sitting at below retail list for the rifle! I need to figure what forearm/handguard setup to go with (something to free float the barrel) and then I'll be done with it but I'm going to see how it groups before spending that kind of money on the upper.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thx Oly,closest SW is 65 miles. Went within 1/4 mile of it yesterday.will have to go check it out. Also looked at 6.8s, they can be used on regular AR15 lower. We'll see.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Not an Eo fan though I currently have a couple. Run it as far forward as you can get.