1873 Winchester Rebuild - The Teardown

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

1873 Winchester Rebuild - The Teardown

Post by Wayne Miller »

Well, I spent some time tearing the '73 down to the bare frame and assessing the damage. The bottom line is that I have a good, sound action...and that's about it. I was hoping to be able to reline the barrel, but it is too over-buffed to salvage. The action is good, as are the internals. New wood is on the way. So thus far, these are the parts I need to start scraping into a pile:

-Buttstock and fore-end (Ordered. Will be here before Christmas)
-Barrel
-Mag tube
-Mag tube plug
-Mag tube bearing ring (maybe...the jury is still out on this one)
-Mag tube bearing pin
-Dust cover and spring
-Mainspring tension screw
-Lever safety spring
-Buttplate w/trapdoor (Unless I can weld up and repair the current buttplate)

After I get done fitting the new wood, I will start polishing the action and action parts, getting them ready for remarking and color case hardening. While they are off getting color cased, I will polish and nitre blue the screws, pins, and loading gate. I think installing the new barrel will be towards the end of the rebuild.

I have to admit that I am really drawn to having the action charcoal blued instead of color cased. The problem there being that color casing takes about a 350 grit polish, whereas the charcoal blue takes a very high polish of over 1000 grit. I can do a hand polish that high, but I don't know if the action is in good enough shape to support it. Once I get to the 300-grit level, I'll make a judgement call as to whether I will take it any further. Call it a decision point....
Wayne Miller
(Known as "Mossyrock" elsewhere)

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Re: 1873 Winchester Rebuild - The Teardown

Post by Mike Hunter »

Wayne

On the bright side, all the parts that you need are easily found, give Bob Knapp a call (aka Winchest Bob), he makes all those parts...bet repo's around.

I would have the barrel made & fitted before fitting the wood, that way you are fitting the wood to the barrel that will be on the gun.

V/R

Mike
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sounds like a little bit of work ahead. Now, where's your pics? :D
Old Law Dawg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Wayne Miller wrote:...these are the parts I need to start scraping into a pile:

-Mag tube
-Mag tube plug
-Mag tube bearing pin
Those parts should interchange with the Uberti copies of the 1873. The others I'm not sure about. Talk to Lisa (if she's still with them) @ VTI.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

Griff wrote:
Wayne Miller wrote:...these are the parts I need to start scraping into a pile:

-Mag tube
-Mag tube plug
-Mag tube bearing pin
Those parts should interchange with the Uberti copies of the 1873. The others I'm not sure about. Talk to Lisa (if she's still with them) @ VTI.
I was planning on giving them a call. They don't show a trapdoor buttplate on the website, and my Uberti '73 rifle doesn't have one. It's been so long since I had the Uberti apart, I don't recall if it has a rotary dovetail or not.
Wayne Miller

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Egads, why must I rely on "IIRC", cause I can't specifically remember, but... the 1866 & 1873 use the same buttplate. The 1860 Henry has a rounded "point" and the 1892 & 1894 buttplates have a shorter upper inlet into the wood on top of the buttstock (who knows what that is called?). The 1885, I don't know; no example in my house to use for comparison. VTI's website shows a trapdoor buttplate for the 1885, and although they list different numbers... they appear VERY close!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

Wayne

Not sure why you would use Uberti parts, it would seem that they would be the same price or more than decent repoductions.

Both Bob Knapp and I make the magazine tubes... think I charge $30 for a standard one...

Bob Sells his Mag tube ring & plug $18 ea. Pretty cheap for parts made to Winchester's original specs.

Post a pic of the Butt plate, if all it needs is some welding....thats pretty easy. I also have repo BP here at the shop; cast steel...won't fit on an original stock...but would fine on a new stock

V/R

Mike
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

Mike,

Go back and look at the picks I posted with the first message. Picture #6 shows the buttplate on the old wood. I need to pull out my Uberti or my Dad's '73 rifle and do some comparing to see how bad it really is.

http://www.levergunscommunity.org/viewt ... f3ebbcc62b

Wayne
Wayne Miller

Lone Watie
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Not the best picture for it, but here is a '85 Butt Plate..