"Tornado"'s first big game

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

"Tornado"'s first big game

Post by 86er »

My boys and I headed out for a few days of hunting. We hit several spots including property in Texas brush country, hill country and west desert prairie. We saw lots of deer, antelope and exotics but didn't have the right circumstances for Justin - aka Tornado, to make it happen. At this point, Justin is not the sharpshooter in the family. He shot some 221 Fireball and some 38 Special from rifles but his accuracy was inconsistent. The only real consistency was with the short, light .22 rimfire rifles. Well, one thing I like about the opportunity to hunt exotics is the ability to adapt to circumstances without having to comply with a lot of rules. This works great for kids, first time hunters, handicapped people and anyone that wants to do something different. Tornado was hitting one pound coffe can at 20 yards with every shot using the Cricket rifle with Remington Lightning ammo. When I tried to switch to CCI Stinger to hunt with I found out they don't fit in the chamber - the bolt won't close. I gave the rifle back to Tornado to hold while I made a call to check on this situation. He decided to fix it himself and "pushed a button". Well, he locked the darn safety lock and now the gun don't work. Not until I get a key for the cylindrical lock. This rifle is a loaner and did not come with the key. On to plan B. We pull out the 75 year old Springfield single shot that I cut down (stock and barrel) for the kids. This one shoot CCI Stingers with no problem. Tornado actually shoots the open sighted rifle a little better than the peep sighted Cricket. The rancher heads to a recently cut hay field and pours some corn in a long, narrow strip just in front of the round bales that are lined up there. We sit on top of a round bale about half way down the strip. After about 10 minutes, deer and antelope start coming out. Slowly but surely the animals follow the corn. We can hear the crunching as they chew the kernnels and come closer. When a mature female is straight in front and below us about 12 yards out I whisper to Torndado to pull back the bolt and aim. He does and suddenly he gets very serious, more serious than I have ever seen this 4 years and 2 months old boy. I whisper, "whenever you're ready shoot it right behind the leg". Tornado makes a perfect low heart shot. At the shot the antelope does a 180 and stands there with her head sagging. I can see the lump of the bullet under her skin, proving it has gone nearly through the animal. Tornado is now real excited and he proceeds to miss the next 4 shots in a row. I tell him to calm down and make a good shot right behind the leg again. He does it and I can see the bullet hit just an inch or so from the first shot although now on the other side of the animal. The antelope lurches forward and starts to sway. I help Tornado put another bullet in. This time, without me saying anything he takes a Texas heart shot on his own. The antelope goes down, kicks and few times and dies. I asked Tornado why he shot without me saying it was okay and he said "I wanted to make sure I killed her quickly, Daddy". I changed my tone to a pleasant and brief talk about waiting until I give the go ahead. Tornado was very proud of himself. This was his first big game animals and the second animal he ever killed. He once shot a rabbit, well sort of. He hit the ground in front of it and the bullet bounced up and struck the rabbit. So this was a very big deal to him. He patted the antelope and said "Thank you for letting me shoot you and eat you and now you can eat all the grass you want while you live in Heaven". I am very proud of him!

Brandon still says he's a bow hunter and doesn't want to shoot rifles at the moment. Him and Justin went off down a trail looking for deer and other animals while armed with Brandon's bow. I was sure the deer were completely safe. Well, the deer were but sure enough the boys came back with a rabbit!

Those CCI Stingers are serious stuff. I am not condoning them as a big game bullet, but clearly if you use them under the right circumstances they are quite deadly. Both heat shots penetrated until they lodged under the skin on the opposite side with about 10" of straight line penetration and expansion to .288. This is from a 16.5" barrel.
Last edited by 86er on Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Re: "Tornado's first big game"

Post by iceman »

Give Justin a big ATTABOY from me. Sounds and looks like everybody had a great time.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: "Tornado"'s first big game

Post by TedH »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Great shooting Justin!!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Very good Tornado and Brandon and Justin.

Joe, you are one heck of a Pa :)

CCI Stingers are good but I found not many rifles like them. I had a 222 down on an evening I was due to go night shooting fox's. I zeroed my Krico 22 for stingers and they did a very good job to 100yards ish on a couple of fox's even though the grouping was on the large side. I can understand them taking that lope.

Say, what kind of arrow heads is Brandon using?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Brandon's broadheads for small game are small two blade fixed that are rounded instead of sharp (both edges and point).
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Wow! That is something! That pic of the boys with the rabbit is an instant classic
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

very cool.....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Awesome smiles on those kids....

They're learning more about the real world in many ways, in a few days afield hunting, than their peers will learn in a lifetime of video simulations and books. You need both kinds of learning, but there are too many 'intellectuals' who've never hunted or gardened or foraged for their own meal, or built their own shelter.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

86er wrote:Brandon's broadheads for small game are small two blade fixed that are rounded instead of sharp (both edges and point).
Good idea, I like :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Sounds like a great trip Joe.

Congratulations to tornado! :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Attaboys all the way around. Great stuff.
Old Law Dawg
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Congratulations Justin and Brandon !!! You as well Joe, you're raising them right !!
:D :D :D :D :D

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Joe, I am hoping Ricky still has the key. I sent it along with the rifle. If not, just remove the lock if you can.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

If you can't find the key you can get a new one from Crickett.

That is outstanding work by your boy. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Awesome Joe. You can't buy smiles like that! :D
Mike Rintoul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike Rintoul »

Great job, Justin! Brandon seems to be enjoying his stick and string too!
Mike Rintoul
Owner
Grizzly Cartridge Ammunition Company
www.grizzlycartridge.com
Cast Performance Bullet Company
Rainier, Oregon
(503) 556-3006
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Here's what Justin wanted to do with his trophy - a little rug for his room:

...do you recognize these? They're Antelope Nuggets that Justin helped cook for dinner last night!
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Awesome Joe. You can't buy smiles like that! :D
+ 1 :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
huntress
Levergunner 1.0

Post by huntress »

Pretty awesome! I am very proud of Justin and Brandon! Your a good dad Joe and your boys will have great memories of their hunting times with you! Keep it up!

Sandy :P
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Great story Joe !