Model 92 Rossi .45 Short Rifle Photos

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Model 92 Rossi .45 Short Rifle Photos

Post by GregT »

Hello! Finally had time to organize my photos of this short rifle (20" Barrel). I totally changed around the sights, the front sight at the suggestion of the fellows here. Sights are set for best grouping at 75 yards. Here is the link. Let me know if it does not work.
http://www.fototime.com/inv/A178FB76917FB05

GregT
Hayward, Wi
"Underneath our starry flag, civilize 'em with a Krag"

War in the Phillipines, 1900.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Model 92 Rossi .45 Short Rifle Photos

Post by Borregos »

It did not work for me!! :(
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GregT »

"Underneath our starry flag, civilize 'em with a Krag"

War in the Phillipines, 1900.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I guess it works now Greg.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

The link worked for Me. I am going to have to look into different sights for My guns.
I like the Rifle btw, thats My kinda CH.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GregT »

First, a big thank you to Hobie for his services! I put the Vernier tang sight on as when I reload for this rifle, I want to be able to dial the bullet in no matter where it strikes on the target. Often the rifle groups away from the middle with a new load. This way, I can dial that bullet in unless the load is lousy and would not cluster the shots anyway. They look neat, too!
The color case hardening is evident on the inside of the frame also. It is real. Not as nice as Turnbull's but I think as good as some of the work done by the old factories. I'm wondering how a half octagon, half round barrel may look...
Thanks for the notes!
GregT
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

Maybe ya'll can tell me . Looking at the rear site , I can't see where the extended rod (post ) lays down and how.
I see only with one eye reasonable anymore so I might be missing it. Never saw one up close . Thanks
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Mutt
GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GregT »

Hello! The "staff" (post, ladder, etc) of the tang sight that holds the eyepiece for windage and lelvation is spring loaded at the base and can fold backward as far as the eyepiece touching the front of the comb of the stock. It does not lay flat on this rifle nor does it lay flat back on any other rifle I am aware of. The entire staff assembly can be removed intact from the base by loostening the pivot bolt and pulling the bolt out. OR, if the rear barrel sight is going to be used, rather than remove the staff, leave the staff elevated, open the eyepiece to the largest aperture (peep hole) and look right through the peep hole to access the rear barrel sight. The tang sight is fast as all you do is look through the peep, find the front post and put it on the target and shoot. Your eye automatically centers the post in the peep aperture. If you hunt in heavy cover, this would call for the barrel sight to be used exclusively and the staff on the tang sight can be taken off the base. I like to walk and sit deer hunting. The sights on this rifle can be used in many situations. If you want a tang sight that folds flat, then use the Marbles folding tang sights that are available. I have one of these on my Rossi 92 with the 24" barrel along with the Lyman 17A Globe front sight. Will photograph that one, although one of our members has already shown his set up like this. He is the fellow who got me thinking about the Lyman 17A sight.
GregT
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I like those sights. While I like a traditional tang peep, ala Lyman or Marbles, I certainly see the advantage of a graduated staff. I sure wish that Marbles would re-introduce the below version of that rear barrel sight!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GregT »

The rifle I photographed here has that fold down sight on the barrel but not the full buckhorn leaf. I would have gone for that one had it been available in the tall height I needed. Check Brownell's and I bet they have it in a lower height. The flat top aperture would not have been my first choice...
GregT
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

So Greg, what sort of range would you be shooting at full elevation? I like your sights, especially the globe on the front. Looking at yours makes me want to put one on my 94 Classic.
GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GregT »

My goal with this rifle is to shoot the best reload I can make up into the tightest 3 shot groups I can hold it to at 75 yards. At that range with that tang sight, I can move bullet impact as little as one-eighth of an inch in any direction (if the reload is consistent). I imagine I could lob the bullets out to 300 yards at larger targets using the elevation on the tang sight. At 100 yards, bullet grouping is not really encouraging. Hunting accuracy (3-4" groups) but not much else. I guess what I am saying is that for real long range plinking (300 yards or so) I would expect to hit a foot square metal plate very often if the rifle was sighted in as well as I could get it. Barrel sights for lever guns can run out of windage or elevation real fast at times. I'm not going to run out of either with this sight.
GregT