IF it were you, what would have and why???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

IF it were you, what would have and why???

Post by rjohns94 »

I have come to respect the opinions of this forum and pretty much know where this thread will lead but working within my parameters, what would you choose and have and why?

First: Feedom Arms or Turnbull Single action ?

Next: .454, .45 colt, or .44mag, 44 special. ??

I have a Freedom Arms .22lr/.22mag.

I know lots of you like your .357, but that isn't going to work for me.

I don't get into bear country much but no telling what the future holds.

This will be one of two handguns I will carry for hunting purposes so it will be used mostly for deer but who knows what is in the future.

What length barrel do you prefer?

somehow, got to figure out the two combos's that will keep me happy and shooting for years to come. I love the 39 TDS and the Freedom Arms .22 combo.

I have a 94 P in .44mag, but since I am without a .44 caliber pistol, I could shuck it.

The SRC in 45-70 could be the lever gun of choice and that would lead me to perhaps a .45 caliber handgun?

or i could do a .45 colt lever and lever gun combo,

or I could do a .44 combo.

Or ????????????????? :? :? \

Ok, give it to me. Set me straight!!!! :D
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If price is a concern, please consider a BFR by Magnum Research. It's put together like a bank vault. I'm shooting 405s at nearly 1500fps and it's very comfortable to shoot; moreso than a SBH with fullhouse .44 mag loads...... Mine is a 45-70, but they have them in the calibers you are mentioning...... For about 700 bucks, a very high value, IMO. If you are not worried about money, I would still look at the BFR :wink: A Marlin 1895CB would match perfectly if you favor the 45-70.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

If you don't see yourself in any bear situation, why wouldn't the 357mag work. Especially when you consider the 38spcl/357mag vesatility.

Less recoil and with proper bullet/placement will do just about anything the other calibers will.

I started off trying to decide what to go with first too, since they didn't make a 30-30cal revolver my only option was a pistol caliber.

I said to heck with it and bought a combo in each of 22lr / 357mag / 44mag / 45colt. If for no other reason than to try them out.

Decided I liked them all and kept them.

BTW, I really like the 4 5/8" Rugers in all calibers. But in the 44mag, I love the 5.5" SBH, just balances nicer.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Hey Mike,

This is the rifle (18" 45-70) I used when I met up with you at 86er's place. It's become my favorite combo. The revolver is a 4 5/8" Blackhawk that shoots really well with everthing I've put through it.
I usually have one or both of these while out hiking in NW PA. We've had some pesky bears the last couple years and have been seeing ( More hearing ) lots of wild dogs. Havn't felt undergunned yet :D

Second choice is my Marlin 94P w/ a OM Super Blackhawk that I had worked over by Bowen Classic Arms. Turnbull did the case colors. I'll try to get a good photo but pictures just don't do it justice. The case work is striking.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Re: IF it were you, what would have and why???

Post by cubrock »

rjohns94 wrote:I have come to respect the opinions of this forum and pretty much know where this thread will lead but working within my parameters, what would you choose and have and why?

This will be one of two handguns I will carry for hunting purposes so it will be used mostly for deer but who knows what is in the future.

somehow, got to figure out the two combos's that will keep me happy and shooting for years to come. I love the 39 TDS and the Freedom Arms .22 combo.

I have a 94 P in .44mag, but since I am without a .44 caliber pistol, I could shuck it.

The SRC in 45-70 could be the lever gun of choice and that would lead me to perhaps a .45 caliber handgun?

It would be hard to go wrong with a FA 97 in .45 Colt and a .45 Colt levergun.
.........THE TWINS..........

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: IF it were you, what would have and why???

Post by J Miller »

rjohns94 wrote:I have come to respect the opinions of this forum and pretty much know where this thread will lead but working within my parameters, what would you choose and have and why?

Neither. I don't have deep enough pockets. A Ruger BH, properly checkout and tuned if needed will work just fine for me.

.45 Colt

I have a Ruger .22 Super Single-Six Convertible.

.357s don't work for me either. I like to shoot them, but for hunting and outdoors carrying I prefer the .45 Colt.

Me neither, but you are right, there's no telling what's gonna happen.

Yep.

For a dedicated hunting handgun I prefer a 7.5" barrel. For a gun used primarily for defense or a hunting back up a 4 5/8" barrel.

I understand how you feel. I have a Ruger / Marlin-Winchester center fire and rim fire combo. I sincerely doubt I will wear them out before I kick the bucket.

Yeah, or you could buy a Ruger SBH in .44 Mag and have a combo.

Yes, if I had a 45-70 as a primary hunting rifle, I would go for a .45 Colt revolver as it's companion. They just seem to go together in my minds eye.

Yep, you sure could. Which is what I've already done. But then again I've been a .45 Colt fan(atic) for close to all my life. So my choice of revolver and lever gun chambering was preordained.

Yes you could. Or you could do both.

I've never been impressed enough by the .44 Mag to want to spend money on one. I have dies and brass, but every time I buy a new or new to me revolver it's a .45 Colt.
When speaking of the .45 Colt fired from Rugers, Rossis, Marlins, or Winchesters, I can shoot whimpy cowboy action ammo or heavy hunting ammo. And any where between. Since I reload my own ammo I can make it do anything I want it to. Well, within the realm of reality of course.
I'm prejudiced for the .45 Colt, what can I say?

Mike, I tried. But what it comes down to is you'll have to shoot both, and determine what you want. ESPECIALLY if you go Turnbull or Freedom Arms. Neither of those two choices are remotely cheep.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Jason, is that a .45colt paired with your 45-70?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I would go with the .454/.45 myself. Load 'em light or hot for whatever the purpose. There's not an animal on this continent that it won't take. As far as barrel length, I like shorter barrels myself. I would go with 4 3/4, or 5 1/2 at the longest. Shorter guns are lighter and easier to carry. As for which to go with, an FA or a Turnbull, I think you can't go wrong with either one. FA's are well made and I've never shot a more accurate gun, but the Turnbulls sure are pretty. Never shot one but I'm sure they do fine.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

rjohns94;
I use a .44 Mag. stainless SBH with 4 5/8" barrel or a 4 1/2" stainless SRH for my handgun. I use a 96/44 for my long gun. I like the 96/44, but wish I still had my .44 carbine barrel for my Contender. I liked it better! I also like stainless for traveling when all kinds of weather will come - and in long woods treks, it can and it does.

The .45 Colt is every bit the equal of the .44 and, if properly loaded it is better in the eyes of many. I like the .44 because I have never needed anything of greater capability, and doubt that I ever will need anything more capable. However, I am fortunate enough to own a .45 combo, also.

Shoot both calibers and then decide. However, you have to fire some of the .45 loads that do equal the .44 so you get a true comparison. Also, you should try the Ruger Bisley to know how that grip frame shoots for you.

Grace and Peace,
Pastordon
Pastordon's Blog
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. (1 Cor. 8:2)
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

Pretty much what joe miller said, except I have a 357 combo, 44mag combo, and 45colt combo.
The 45 just seems to be the natural thing to pick up even though I was a 44 fan for many years.
For a walkin around gun in an area with toothy critters I want somthing bigger than a 357.
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

My combo is a .45c and a .444. Ireload for both and get much enjoyment out of them. they might not be too practical if the @@@$$4hits the fan as neither of these rounds can be purchased easily from any ol mom n pop gun store.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

rjohns94 wrote:Jason, is that a .45colt paired with your 45-70?
Yeah Mike, 45Colt/ ACP conv. Shoots great with everything but really likes 300 Gr. Cast Performance WFNGC and 300 Gr XTPs.

Nice light revolver that packs easily all day.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

For the parameters specified, I would choose a 6" Freedom Arms in .44mag.

This would provide the accuracy and power needed for hunting deer, there is a wide variety of ammo available in .44mag, and 6" barrel is a compromise between practical accuracy and portability.

Of course you could do almost as well with a 5.5" or 7.5" Ruger SBH, but you wouldn't like it as much.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If you wanted to trim down to bare essentials, but wanted major power if you had to have it, seems like it would be hard to beat a pair of .454 Casulls - like a Puma and a SA revolver (or DA for that matter). Short, handy, but powerful.

The 44 Magnum or .45 Colt or 357 Magnum pairs would be nice if you didn't want the extreme power.

.45-70 nice along with a shorter .45 handgun cartridge, but it sounds like you wanted maybe the same round for both guns.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I guess I was a little confusing. I have two levers a SRC 45-70 browning, and a 94P in .44 mag. I had two .44 caliber handguns, but just sold them for various reasons. That removed my large caliber handgun (I have a .45 acp and a BP .45 ROA). My reason for the question is I'm thinking of keeping just one of the Levers, and leaning towards the SRC based on all your feedback on a different thread. I will have it in my hands tomorrow in order to be sure. So if I keep it, I'm leaning towards the .45 LC for the SRC. If I don't keep the SRC, I have the .44 and would consider a different .44mag to match it.

Your points of a short carry 4 5/8 inch barrel in .45 LC are very much along what I was thinking, even out to 5 1/2 inch.

If I don't keep both, I could sell them and pick up a .45 lc rifle, or .454 or?

.357 is a very practical caliber but I like big bullets :D :D

Currently then, I'm thinking keeping the SRC, Selling the 1894P, and getting a 45 LC. If I could get one with an extra .45acp cyl, I could use the same ammo for my SIG 220 as an added benefit.

If I did that then here is what I am reduced to for shooting needs:

.54 lead balls for Flintlock (110 grain of ffg)(don't cast for these)
.50 caliber for 1863 Sharps (cast for these)
45-70 for SRC (would cast for this)
.45 LC for single action (would cast for this)
.45 acp for Single action and Sig (reload for this, but not cast)
.457 ball for ROA (don't cast for these)
.38+P for everyday carry (I dont reload for this)
.22lr for Freedom arms/Marlin tds/smith 3" lightweight
.22M for freedom arms

Seems like plenty of overlap and coverage. I see it could further be reduced if I ditched the SRC and got a .45 LC but 45-70 is one of my favorite rounds.

Can you hear the gears grinding in this head???? :? :? :?
Mike Johnson,

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I tend to buck the current trend in what I prefer as a primary hunting rifle and a backup side arm.

A concept I learned somewhere, (probably as a paid employee of Uncle Sugar), firearms should be considered and selected for their range of fire. If operating as a member in a unit, the selection of all long guns was made to offer coverage at all ranges a threat could be identified. If I was operating on my own, I was taught to have a long gun that would maximize the available range to engage, with a handgun that didn't overlap or even operate at ranges longer than my long gun. What that means in short, is to carry a long gun capable to stop a threat at the farthest anticipated range and a handgun capable of stopping a close-range threat.

I would not, however, criticize one for choosing a rifle and handgun in the same caliber. I understand the logistic simplicity of having both rifle and handgun in the same caliber; but, I will likely never choose such a combo for hunting purposes. (Exception being, a javeline hunt where I simply want to use my .45Colt EMF/Rossi!) Likewise, if I ever get to Africa to hunt, and decide to use a single shot, I'd like the PM to back me up with a repeater, for like reason.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

My vote would have to go to the Turnbull SAA in a .44 special. WHY, cause my 1894 Marlin in a .44 mag is lonely! :D
shawn45
Levergunner

Post by shawn45 »

I would pick the FA 454 any day. I have 2 and one in 45 (97). I usually carry the 4 3/4 and the scoped 6 inch for any hunting opportunity. I just bought a SS Guide Gun in 45-70 so if I run into something I cant handle with the other combo.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I would not overlook an old model Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt. You can load this "hotter" than factory loads and is as rugged as rugged could be. 4 5/8" barrel with fixed sights - A perfect companion in any country.

For a carry-gun - I could not see paying the extra $$'s for the FA over the Ruger. For a primary hunting gun - yes the extra $$ would be well spent.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I would select a good 44 Magnum. The 44 Magnum round is capable of guilt edge accuracy, has plenty of good factory loads available, has all the power I would never need, can shoot 44 Speicals with good accuracy, and is all the hangun I can manage to shoot really well.

The 44 Magnum along with the 38 Special and 45 ACP are very easy round handload for great accuracy. All the way up and down the power scale it is easy to find accurate loads in the 44 Magnum round.

The 4.5 inch barrels pack well. As I get older the 7.5" barrels are easier to hit with. The 5.5" barrels are a compromise between the other two.
Jeff Pitts
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Jeff Pitts »

Tough to go wrong with the good ol' .44! You can go wrong with lots of others :twisted: but not the .44!

Jeff
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Turnbull in .45 Colt. Cool factor time 10! 8)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I use a .454 for handgun hunting, which works like a .22 long rifle on streoids, that also uses .22 longs & .22 shorts & .22 CB caps.

I use the full-power .454 load when required, the Winchester 250gr JSP mid-range load for smaller stuff like deer, .45 Colt loads for practice & smaller game, and .45 Cowboy loads for the heck of it.

Sure, I have to re-sight with the various loads - but I don't usually hunt/shoot at more than one size/species per trip.
The resightings give me more practice/expertise - and, I find it enjoyable.