Which 30-06 For Hunting?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Which 30-06 For Hunting?

Post by jkbrea »

I used to hunt elk with a Tikka 7mm rem mag, which is a great rifle. The last couple years I used my Marlin 45-70 since all the elk I've taken over the years, except one, has been under 100 yards.

I gave the Tikka to my friend recently in a trade. I'm going to start huntin' deer but the 45-70 will vaporize these So. California deer :lol: and some of the distances can be long. I want a 30-06 and was going to get another Tikka T3. Then I saw a Browning BLR with a straight stock. I really like it but don't know much about them. I don't really need or want the take-down model and I don't much care for the shiny stock.

Anyone have one? How are they on accuracy and can you get one with a normal wood stock. I've seen the laminated stainless model and they're not bad.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Which 30-06 For Hunting?

Post by Old Savage »

jk - are you in the condor territory?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

I really like the BLR 30-06 and highly recommend them. They are accurate, but the two stocks you mention are the only ones currently available. I have the takedown and like the ease of disassembly for cleaning.

Here is a link w/ more information.

http://shootingwithhobie.blogspot.com/2 ... lr-by.html
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

IF you end up with anything with a "shiny" finish on the stock....you might consider spending an evening giving it a light rubdown with a handful of 4/0 steel wool. Rub it just hard enough to knock off the gloss. I've done that with my Rem. 700 and it leaves a very nice flat satin-like finish which still provides protection for the underlying wood, but doesn't glimmer in the sunlight. Obviously....by doing this you affect the "trade-value" of the rifle. That's just not a consideration for me.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

In several other threads on this forum I have told about buying my grandchildren BLRs. All twelve of them. One of the older boys has a non-takedown in 30-06. He's 5-10 and 210 so no longer needs the .243 he's been shooting. This year he killed both his youth hunt deer with it the first day, then during the regular gun hunt, killed both of his deer the first day. One of the shots was at 20 yards and the longest was 275 yards. His gun shoots into 1.5" all day. I have been shooting an old .308 (Belgian) for about 30 years now and it is great. Those old Belgians have oil finished stocks which I like. I don't think you can go wrong with a BLR. Tough, accurate and easy to carry they give you a really fast follow up shot. Be sure to find yourself an extra magazine for easy reloads.
Practice flicking that lever with the rifle still on your shoulder like we do in SASS. A quality lever wrap helps but is not necessary for a hunting rifle.

M. M.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I have no experience with the BLR, but through the many times it's been talked about on this forum I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I liked it.

Now, on to the stocks. Browning uses an epoxy finish and the only way you'll get that off is to remove it. I bought a Browning '53 a while back and I used Jasco epoxy remover. Use as directed and it works great. Just make sure to use gloves as the stuff is highly caustic.

I used Tru-Oil on it after removing the epoxy.

Old Law Dawg
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

kimwcook wrote:I have no experience with the BLR, but through the many times it's been talked about on this forum I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I liked it.

Now, on to the stocks. Browning uses an epoxy finish and the only way you'll get that off is to remove it. I bought a Browning '53 a while back and I used Jasco epoxy remover. Use as directed and it works great. Just make sure to use gloves as the stuff is highly caustic.

I used Tru-Oil on it after removing the epoxy.

Were you able to get the finish off the checkering without damaging it? I have not tried Jasco.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Yes, just let the remover do it's job and resist the temptation to rush it. Using a toothbrush to work the remover through the checkering. The stuff really works. I hadn't removed an epoxy finish previously and I was given that information here through a couple of levergunners. Worked as instructed.
Old Law Dawg
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Okay I just like any 06! just like the old lever guns it get's no respect anymore. I am a 7mm fan but not of the Mags! I rather have something like the .300 Win Just years of shooting them over a Chrony I guess."the 7 Mags never really did that well''
P.S I would like one of them new Brownings in 06 hint hint :lol:
Now my old 99 in .284 is a great everything gun and so is my bolt .280 but it is really hard to say anything bad about a 06.
Ya I like the .300 Savage too and the 08 they do fit in a 99 a big plus for a lever nut
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Let me start off by saying I have never owned a BLR .

I looked at plenty of them over the years and never got overly intrested until they brought them out in the WSM cartridges . I got it in my head that I could have a North American combo by getting one in 270 WSM and another in 325 WSM .
Then I took it upon myself to go to a few of the "larger" gunshops in my normal traveling area .
I wanted the model that had no barrel band and a pistol grip . I was fortunate to be able to handle a couple new ones in both these calibers and they felt good enough although not as good as any of my old 444 Marlin's . I always thought the price for the BLR a little steep and kept my eyes peeled for a used one . Couple months later I ran across a nice used one in the configuration I liked and 270 WSM . It also had a Leupold Vari XII 3-9 on top which was about what I had in mind to mount on the rifle . So I picked the gun up out the rack and threw it to my shoulder . And I'm gonna be straight up honest , for me that gun didn't feel very good so that killed my search right then and there and I've never had intrest to get another .

Now granted guns feel different to different people and others actually like the feel of these rifles , which is great ! But for me they just don't feel right .

And with that being said we had a gentleman come in our shop right before Christmas get 3 older BLR's ( all shipped in from other dealers) for his 3 sons all chambered in 358 WIN ! All of these rifles looked to be about NIB .
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Some of my extended family members and I have used the older steel framed BLR's in .308 win for around 20yrs now. It's still my favorite centerfire rifle of all time, for serious hunting.

And I always considered the .308 to be bit inferior to the old 30-06, and maybe it is with the heavier bullets, but with 180gr Winchester Silvertips, I have never been disapointed, and the .308 makes up into a little handier package in the BLR.

I have picked up several of the newer versions, but I just can't warm up to them, because they just don't feel the same as the older steel short action versions.

One thing on about all of the BLR's that I have discovered for my own use, is that the length of pull is just too long to suit me. They don't feel right until I have the butt stock shortened about a half inch or better, and it's eaiser to run the lever from the shoulder too, afterwards, with the added benifit of not having to position the scope as far back. It just makes everything come together for a gun that handles nearly as well as a fine shotgun, and that is what I want in a rifle, not a dead stick that feels like an overweight club.

My BLR's have been responsible for most of my bolt guns filtering to the back of the gun safe, if not actually carried out the door and down the gun traders road.
NRA Life Member, Patron
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Another big fan of the old steel BLR's in .308WCF. The long action 06 models are alot bigger, heavier and don't handle as well, at least to me. The only advantage the 06 has over the .308 is the .220 grain bullet, and that's only an advantage for Africa. In A 30-06 you might try the winchester 1895 src. just for the 8) factor. Just my 2 cents :wink:
farmer44mag
Levergunner

Post by farmer44mag »

I really like my lightweight, pistol grip, .30-06 blr. It doesn't feel as good as my marlin 336 but you get used to it- it does have a long length of pull but the action is very fast. I have had cause to empty my BLR on a deer at last light several times and never have any trouble- I don't like to look for deer in the dark- the short action is a little handier. fired all 5 shots at this one and hit it 3 times rapid fire at 100 yds at last light. 1 in the chest, 1 through both shoulders and one back leg shot off. He was a toughy and still crawled to the brush before dying- with massive chest wounds.
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

As indicated by tman and lastmohecken suggest, handle the short action .308 before giving up on the BLR. There is a vast difference in handling between the long and short action models.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Christopher Kimball from America's Test Kitchen uses a BLR,...who knew..? He's got an interesting Blog.

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Never let it be said that I'm a Advocate of the old "06" , but I do own a nice old Remington 700BDL of either 1964 or 1965 vintage in 30-06 .

This thread kinda got me thinking as to what if anything I would buy that was chambered for the 06 !

I gotta say a nice old Mannlicher Schoenauer MC or MCA either halfstock or fullstock in 06 for a fair price I would certainly consider and more then likely jump on !

We got a nice old Mannlicher Schoenauer MC half stock of 1964 vintage a few months back in another of my not favourite calibers the 308 WIN . And I gotta say after hunting some this year and killing a big old fat slick with it , I've warmed up considerably to the 308 !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !