Ruger Flat Top Bisley .44 Special

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Ruger Flat Top Bisley .44 Special

Post by Wayne Miller »

Pulled the trigger (financially) on one of these with a 5.5" barrel today. This will be MY #5 ala Uncle Elmer. It will have a Belt Mountain #5 base pin and Tru-Ivory grips, and then it will go to Jim Stroh for Taylor Throating and Jim's Half-Cock Conversion. Not a self defense gun or hunting gun, but it would handle both missions if called upon. No, this will be a "general shooting" revolver and MAYBE the "Perfect Packing Revolver"... Stay tuned for news....
Wayne Miller
(Known as "Mossyrock" elsewhere)

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
Ysabel Kid

Re: Ruger Flat Top Bisley .44 Special

Post by Ysabel Kid »

TEASE!

We need pictures - fast!!!

Congrats! :D
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Ysabel Kid wrote:TEASE!

We need pictures - fast!!!

Congrats! :D
Yeah, really fast!
Old Law Dawg
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Hey Wayne! Long time no see, at least since our Oregon shoot with Jim Taylor, Caz, Bob Applegate and Glenn Fryxell a few years back.....!

I have a few of Rugers .44 Specials in the 4 5/8" version because of that 3 screw you brought to the shoot that was converted to .44 special if I remember correctly, and it had a lanyard ring. Ring a bell? Dang you've cost me! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Perhaps you'd explain the half-cock conversion and/or Taylor throating...

Sounds like a neat project. I have both barrel lengths of the .44 Special Flattops and have been debating what if any changes I might make. I noticed that Ross Seyfried firelapped and Taylor throated his Bisley Flattop .44 Special. I've been thinking that I'd stage the changes to measure the degree of accuracy improvement that comes at each step. I need to get on the stick though. I noticed on the Brownells site that Clymer has discontinued their Taylor throating reamers.

JimT on his DAD's invention, the Taylor Throat...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

2X22 wrote:Hey Wayne! Long time no see, at least since our Oregon shoot with Jim Taylor, Caz, Bob Applegate and Glenn Fryxell a few years back.....!

I have a few of Rugers .44 Specials in the 4 5/8" version because of that 3 screw you brought to the shoot that was converted to .44 special if I remember correctly, and it had a lanyard ring. Ring a bell? Dang you've cost me! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

2x22
A FEW years? Wow..that's been a while! :o I still have that .44, but it needs a friend... :D

Hobie, Stroh's half-cock conversion makes the Rugers operate like a COLT...in other words, CORRECTLY! It also sets the trigger farther back in the guard so it looks better. Take a look here:
http://www.alphaprecisioninc.com/revolver/halfcock.htm
Wayne Miller

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Nice score!

I am lucky enough to have the Lipsey's BlackHawk and Bisley 5.5" .44 Spec'ls. They just balance right in my hand. IMO, the trigger and finish and fit are a step above the over-the-counter Rugers.

Maybe a bit biased, but The Special is one very under-rated cartridge.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

The .44 Special has always been one of my favorites thanks to Skeeter. I have been away from it for a while, but I see a bunch of .429" lead going down range over the next year.
Wayne Miller

Lone Watie
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That is going to be a great gun! Congrats!
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

Sellers pics. I will be lucky to see it by this time next week.... :cry:
Wayne Miller

Lone Watie
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sweet! 8)
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

A beaut!

Now if you and I BOTH can just make it to the PNW shoot this summer, I'll getta fondle it......with yer permission of course! :mrgreen:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That's a real beautiful piece.
Old Law Dawg
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

Some observations....

I picked up the Bisley this afternoon. I have owned a BUNCH of Ruger single actions. Some New Model, mostly Old Model. Of the bunch, this revolver has the best polish and blue of any of them. Well done, Ruger. The grips, made of laminated wood, are comfortable, but don't fit too well. Fear not, for they will be replaced with Tru-Ivory. Pulling off the grips, I found something I did NOT expect: There is NO key lock on the Flat Top Bisleys!!!!!!! This, of course, means that the spring kit I ordered from Brownell's earlier this week won't fit. If anyone needs a spring kit for a New Model Vaquero or Flat Top, let me know.

The Belt Mountain #5 base pin should be here next week, as will the ill-fated spring kit and a crescent headed ejector rod. This will be an incremental project, so stay tuned!! With any luck, I will be able to do some shooting this weekend...unless I get flooded out with the five inches of rain they are forecasting. If nothing else, I will slug the barrel and measure the chamber throats. Report to follow....
Wayne Miller

Lone Watie
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Sweet looking pistol! Can't wait for further reports.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Every .44 Special FT I've seen has fit and finish a step up from the Blackhawks that came before. That's the blue guns including the Bisley, the stainless don't seem to reach that level of quality.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

Well, I'm certainly impressed. Another thing that struck me is the weight of this thing. No alloy at all...all steel. Hefty little boat anchor.
Wayne Miller

Lone Watie
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Wayne Miller wrote:Well, I'm certainly impressed. Another thing that struck me is the weight of this thing. No alloy at all...all steel. Hefty little boat anchor.
The same way I was was struck about the standard .44 special FT's, Wayne. Hefty! They may be small and compact, but are hefty little hippo's :D

Both of my 4 5/8" models are superbly accurate with a 255gr cast and 7 1/2grs of Unique. Don't know the velocity but anything inside of about 120 yards is meat in the pot :mrgreen:

I have another short barreled model at the gunsmiths right now as I await a 7 1/2" barrel I got off GB to arrive. Though my first love is a 4 5/8" barrel, I just kinda think a feller should have at least one .44 special with a 7 1/2" barrel.

2x22
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

Some MORE observations.....

I slugged the barrel and measured the chamber throats. Bore slugs .429", and the throats are .4305". In other words, right on the money. There is a definite bore restriction at the frame, but my measuring equipment isn't precise enough to tell how much...just that I can feel it when I pushed the slug down the bore. Taylor throating will fix that.

I installed a Wolff spring kit and ended up with a good trigger pull of around 3.5-4 pounds...at least that's what my calibrated finger tells me. The action isn't quite as smooth as I like, but smoothing it up would be a waste of time given that Jim Stroh is going to convert it to half-cock and do some other stuff to it. I swapped e-mail with him a few days ago, and I am going to send him a deposit to get a place in line, and then send the gun to him in three months or so.

While I didn't get a chance to put it on paper, I did do some rock plinking with a few different loads. Without adjusting the sights, it is pretty close to PAO/POI. At this point, I just wanted to make sure it went "bang"...and it does. One thing I noticed is that this particular revolver has VERY tight headspace. It is VERY unforgiving of high primers on reloads...much more so than any of my other .44 Specials. Looks like I will need to go through my bulk .44 Special reloads and do some culling...or CAREFULLY reseat the primers. Just THINKING about doing that gives me a case of the drizzles.... :shock:

Kelye at Belt Mountain put my #5 basepin in the mail the other day, and it should be here this week. Once I get that installed, I'll snap a few pics. If I get some free time and work up enough ambition, I'll get this thing to the range and see what it will do on paper. Maybe next Sunday after my flintlock match.....provided we don't get washed away in the mean time. :|
Wayne Miller

Lone Watie