OT-when the .410 just won't do.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

OT-when the .410 just won't do.

Post by .45colt »

I just looked at the shotshow day 1 video/pictures over at Gunblast and alot more shooters are going to discover the 28 Ga. 8) . I don't think everybody is looking at the link. :wink: .
http://www.gunblast.com/images/SHOT2011 ... C02825.JPG
Last edited by .45colt on Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT-when the .410 just won't do.

Post by rafter-7 »

yes my kids love to shoot 28 over the 410 on clays i have one in a silver onyx DU gun 686

the little bit bigger frame keeps the recoil the same (about) but with a lot more killin power

^
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I had an SKB over under in 28 that was the slickest shooting shotgun I ever have had. I keep records of shots fired, game harvested and that shotgun has the highest hit ratio on doves than any shotgun I have ever owned. (2nd place goes to a grade 3 citori over under with 26 inch barrels in 12 gauge) I am a big fan of the 28 on game birds.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

okay, am I the only one who thinks this whole "judge" thing is ridiculous.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

SJPrice wrote:okay, am I the only one who thinks this whole "judge" thing is ridiculous.
No, not as configured...I'd buy a smooth bore version, but I guess they are illegal, tho I can't imagine why...dumbest (almost) thing I ever heard of. :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Guess who invented the. 28 gauge?
Hint, wasn't Al Gore... :wink:
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

casastahle wrote:Guess who invented the. 28 gauge?
Parker was either the first or second company to produce them here around 1903 or 1904. Greener made them in England back in the late 1800's I am not sure who actually gets credit for "inventing" the gauge though.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

SJPrice wrote:okay, am I the only one who thinks this whole "judge" thing is ridiculous.
Did you see that S&W has joined that bandwagon with their Governor revolver? There's a picture of it on the Gunblast's Media Day page for the 2011 SHOT Show.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:
Did you see that S&W has joined that bandwagon with their Governor revolver? There's a picture of it on the Gunblast's Media Day page for the 2011 SHOT Show.
yep, I did and they have up(ed) the ante by adding the ability to shoot 45 acp. They even are offering 2 shot moon clips so you can load 2 rounds of .410, 2 rounds of 45 acp and if they are still coming at you, last 2 rounds can be 45 Colt. some marketing genius was working overtime and drinking way too much coffee to come up with that idea.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

SJPrice wrote:
casastahle wrote:Guess who invented the. 28 gauge?
Parker was either the first or second company to produce them here around 1903 or 1904. Greener made them in England back in the late 1800's I am not sure who actually gets credit for "inventing" the gauge though.
From what I read, Charles Parker 1904… :)
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

I was of the impression that Remington was the first US company to offer a 28 gauge, but it was not very popular. Parker definately gets the nod for making them popular and accepted. I could be wrong as I have been wrong in the past.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I do not think much of the Taurus "Judge".People are just enamored that they can shoot a .410 in a hand gun.I gotta say that there has been a whole stuff load of them sold.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
2row
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 2row »

I have been reloading cut off 410 shells for years too shoot in my 45 colts they work very good :D
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

do they make 28 ga in buckshot.....never seen any on the market.....

a bunch off guys use 28s at the skeet range to cut down on the reloading costs.
very nice round....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

I love my 28 guage < cz bobwhite > Ihardly ever pick up a 20 or 12 ga, anymore, they surprise most people who have never shot them,
the only company I have found that makes slug loads for them , are feochi < sp >
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Never shot a 28 guage myself, but all the specifications make it look like a much better choice than the .410 bore. I would be interested in trying that pistol out.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I can see the appeal of a .410 revolver, but have not been impressed to buy one. I figured the "new" would have worn off by now and I could have picked one up cheap. Guess I shouldn't have sold my Apple stock years ago, either.

But for some strange reason, the 28 gauge is more interesting :?:

I can see myself now, walking down the creek back just daring the cottonmouths to come at me :D

(I know - careful what you wish for)
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

2row wrote:I have been reloading cut off 410 shells for years too shoot in my 45 colts they work very good :D
THAT just screams for a "How-to" post.... :!:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

RIHMFIRE wrote:do they make 28 ga in buckshot.....never seen any on the market.....

a bunch off guys use 28s at the skeet range to cut down on the reloading costs.
very nice round....
It depends on who "they" are. I used to produce a 28 gauge black powder with about #4 buck shot load for a basket case Harrington and Richardson single shot I resurrected way back when. I'm not sure about the shot size, but four shot would lay side by side in the full brass shells on top of the over powder wad. Four or five layers of four over a jute fiber wad over a healthy snort of FFFg black powder set off by a CBC berdan primer, everything being held in place with a shredded paper over shot wad jammed in tight on top. Worked great for small to medium game.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Aahhhh..... Come on! "You don't even have to aim!" :shock: :roll: :lol:
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have a 28 ga. barrel for my Contender.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Considering what the Judge has done for personal defense loads for the .410, I welcome the "Raging Judge" in 28 gauge. Probably will never own one unless one of you fine fellas wants to give me one, but anything that sparks more interest in firearms, and brings about more innovation is a GOOD THING! :D
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Here's another link:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/the-tau ... -revolver/

I wonder how long before Gunblast does a review. Everything I've seen so far is just a "Taurus now has a 28 Gauge Resolver available." - no details other than that. Perhaps this will bring about a renewal of one of my favorite gauges, or not. Time will tell!
Paul - in Pereira

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

aint this sorta like comparing the 444 to the 45/70, and yes i drink too much coffee at times :P :roll:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

3leggedturtle wrote:aint this sorta like comparing the 444 to the 45/70, and yes i drink too much coffee at times :P :roll:
No, not really. The 410 and the 28 gauge are two different animals. Now, if it was a comparison between the 32 gauge and the 28 gauge, or, going the other way, the 28 gauge vs the 24 gauge, that's closer to the 444 vs 45/70 analogy. The 410 is only about 64 gauge, if I recall correctly. There's a lot of difference in size and power when compared to the larger gauges. In Brazil (the homeland of the Taurus brand) the 32 and 28 gauges have long been sold in short pistol singleshots for hunting, the 410 is much less known in that format albeit it is popular enough in full length shoulder fired shotgun form.
Paul - in Pereira

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

I like the idea of the 410 handgun, its a bit large but what the heck. Used to do old Elmers' trick of truning 45 long Colt into shot shells.Using gas checks

S&W is doing nothing more,then jumping on the band wagon, I have spoken with several newbies to the idea of "home defense" and to a one, they ask about the shotgun revovler.

If Tar brings out that 28 with a 4" barrel I'll have to go back into reloading shotshells.