Marlin Medallion

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Marlin Medallion

Post by HEAD0001 »

This might be a silly question, but I am going to ask anyway. I am still looking for a nice 32-20 rifle. Even considering one of the new 1892 takedown's. However I have also found a Marlin 1894 Limited in 32-20. But one problem. I am a left hand shooter. And the Marlin has a medallion in the left hand side of the stock. Pretty well right where your cheek will be. Now I know the recoil of the 32-20 is not much. But do you think the medallion might do if you constantly have your cheek against the medallion?? Would it scratch you, or wear out of the wood with usage?? Thanks, Tom.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin Medallion

Post by pwl44m »

If the Medallion is on the Left and U shoot Left it shouldn't interfere.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I meant to say the medallion is on the right hand side of the stock. You know what I meant. Tom.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I know what ya meant to say., Medallion is on the right. If it bugs ya, consider carving a pocket and insetting the medallion. Might get hold of a woodworker with an adjustable forstner bit or fly cutter and a drill press to hog it out a little, then glue it in a pocket. I inset small medallions in Marlin stocks using a fly cutter so I could inset em flush.
Certified gun nut
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I knew what I hoped U meant ( is that what I meant to say)? I will leave that one before I dig deeper.
Would maybe a leather or rubber Cheek pad help ?
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Get the Marlin, ignore the medallion and just wait and see if it bothers you. Then you can always just replace the butt stock if it's necessary.
I shoot an original Winchester 92 in 32-20 which I like very much. There is almost no recoil and I use the heavier 115 grain bullet.

M. M.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

M. M. Wright wrote:Get the Marlin, ignore the medallion and just wait and see if it bothers you. Then you can always just replace the butt stock if it's necessary.
I shoot an original Winchester 92 in 32-20 which I like very much. There is almost no recoil and I use the heavier 115 grain bullet.
Yeah. Zero recoil, really. I can't imagine you'd be bothered by the medallion unless you've got really sensitive skin and the manufacturer didn't smooth the edges or inlet it flush.

A really good coat of polyurethane or similar protective wax/finish should protect the wood and make the area smooth enough for even 'baby' cheeks. That, or the slip-on leather/nylon cheek/cartridge pads would seem the easiest ways to deal with it if you notice it as a problem.

If you still don't like it, just pack it up and send it to me; I'll even pay shipping... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I shoot maybe a thousand rounds a year out of a rifle just like that, only no medallion. It is like shooting a .22, there is no recoil hardly at all. Buy the rifle and be happy. Better yet, send me the phone number of the guy selling it. :D
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Or, buy the rifle, pop the medallion out of the stock and fit a round walnut disk in the hole. A bit of touch up finishing and the problem is gone.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

or, it might be easier to just sand and polish the medallion itself, to round down any sharp edges in the lettering. A small piece of emery paper, some water, and some time to sit down in front of the TV watching the Discovery Channel.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."