OT - Lee Classic Loader Kit..?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

OT - Lee Classic Loader Kit..?

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Any of you folks ever use the Lee Classic Loader Kit..? It sounds kinda cool.

Is it everything they say it is.?

I'd like to get one for my cousin to see if he truly wants to learn reloading or not, without sinking lots of $$ into bunches of equipment.

Is there anything else that is needed ,other than bullet components, to make ammo with this kit..?
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Lee Classic Loader Kit..?

Post by JReed »

No I haven't. I have heard good things from folks here that have. Buddy of mine got one of these a few months back and hasn't quit raving about it.http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/de ... ber=665540
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

started in the 70s with a 300 savage maybe 5 or 6
more after that , great tool & it works anywhere
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I have a Lee Classic "whack a boolit" loader for every caliber I shoot (and a few I don't) except for the odd Euro 9.3x72R and 9mm.

That's:

.38/.357
.30-30
.45-70 (I don't load .45-70 any other way)
16ga
12ga

I wouldn't be without them. With one, a pound of powder, some primers, a ladle and a mold you can reload over a campfire in the most primitive of conditions - in less space than with the Lee Hand Loader (knuckle crusher).

The only other tool as useful for GP/Bugout is the old Lyman 310 "Tong Tool".
Is there anything else that is needed ,other than bullet components, to make ammo with this kit..?
A hammer, mallet or hunk of wood...
JReed wrote:No I haven't. I have heard good things from folks here that have. Buddy of mine got one of these a few months back and hasn't quit raving about it.http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/de ... ber=665540
A buddy of mine in the AF "build an airstrip behind enemy lines" field (dunno the MOS) had one in his kit everywhere he went. Reloaded for his 1911 with whatever was at hand.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have the Anniversary model of the Classic Loader Kit, and I have only one thing I have found to be a drawback. The portion of the linkage which lolds the operating handle is aluminum, and I have broken it once. I contacted Lee and was able to obtain the correct part and had everything together in less than a week. Lee has great customer service, and for the minor problem I had, I can't see any reason to change loaders. I like their dies, too. I like the Hornady locking rings on the RCBS dies. I refuse to use the original RCBS locking rings.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

I have loaded 30-30, 20 gauge and 12 gauge shotshells with them and they worked well.
I picked the 30-30 up for a friend with a Marlin who shot less than a box a year.
Back then, that saved him a whole $6 a year.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

As a boy, I watched my Dad load ammo with these simple kits.

They are exactly what they are purported to be.

I do recommend moving up to a press if you want to load often or in quantity but the Lee kits are an excellent way to see if you like reloading and are also very portable and yes, complete if you are good with the limited loads that the scoops provide.

If you haven't tried reloading yet, I can't think of a better way to spend $25.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I missed out on getting the Lyman 310 tool when they offered it in .45-120. Kicking myself to this day. Have thought about the Lee Classic Loaders for a while. One would think, since almost all my reloading gear is Lee stuff, I'd have got around to getting some of these by now. Will need to do so!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I like their "Classic" turret press, but I don't know if that's the one in the kit.

I have never been dissatisfied with Lee dies (except the PISTOL-type Factory Crimp ones), and their case-prep stuff (trimmers, etc.) are really nice.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

piller wrote:I have the Anniversary model of the Classic Loader Kit, and I have only one thing I have found to be a drawback. The portion of the linkage which lolds the operating handle is aluminum, and I have broken it once. I contacted Lee and was able to obtain the correct part and had everything together in less than a week. Lee has great customer service, and for the minor problem I had, I can't see any reason to change loaders. I like their dies, too. I like the Hornady locking rings on the RCBS dies. I refuse to use the original RCBS locking rings.
The anniversary kit and the Classic Loader are different animals... :wink:

The Classic is the "hammer & cylinder" system.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

OK. Thanks for the info. I was not aware of that, but I won't forget. I do still stand by my statement that I like Lee and their customer service.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I too have several of them. They work well and are a part of my BOB. I learned to reload on them, and I know Rjohns94 has loaded thousands of rounds on with them. Gotta love the simplicity and the portability.

I also have a hand press, which I like a lot.

No need to buy it new. Check out some of the classifieds on various forums. There's always a set on sale for $15.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Buy one and a Plastic mallet will be your best Friend. :wink:

I load All Brass 12 ga. & 16 ga. Shotgun shells on the Lee Loader pound the primer in machine. :D
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I just boght a Lee kit at the gunshow two weeks ago, saw several in 44 mag for $15 but ended up getting one from a guy for $8 it is going in my BOB. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Something to keep in mind with the "pound a bullet" set up - they "neck size only". Yes, even in straight wall cases. So if you're using range pick up brass to load you might end up with some rounds that will NOT chamber in a tight chambered firearm. I've loaded hundreds (thousands?) of rounds with this simple setup and it works great. Seating the primers can be exciting if you don't watch the force of the mallet stroke. Personally I prefer to hand seat the primers and use the kit for the rest of the operations. De priming works great. It's slow, but for a few rounds it's fine.

Now, for just a few bucks more you can have a Lee Handpress and carbide dies that full length size the cases. I've loaded even more ammo with this kind of setup. If you can find a Lee Speed die you have an even more compact setup than a hand press and die kit. The problem with the speed die setup is that you do not have any support for the bullet as you raise it into the seater. This means you have to have a steady hand when loading cast bullets as they tend to tip over as you move the handle.

Anyway, the Lee Loader is a nifty tool and will load plenty of ammo if you're not in a hurry. You will need:

The Lee Loader
A rubber/leather/wooden mallet or heavy stick
Lube for the sizing process - a bit of STP will go a long way
Cleaning materials for removing the lube
Brass shells of the appropriate caliber
Primers
Powder
Bullets

The Lee dipper works OK, if you're not "mobile", but picking up a Lee "Safety Powder Scale" will give you more load variations and precision in measuring powder for loading at home.

If you're whacking on the primer seating setup then make sure and do it when the wife is not around. An over zealous whack can result in holes in the ceiling when the steady rhythm of "whack, whack, whack" changes to "whack, BOOM" and your darling achieves lift off in 0.00009 seconds. This can put a strain on the relationship, don't ask me how I know. So it's best that if you use the kitchen table for loading that you do so when she's not in the immediate vicinity. Yes, as mentioned, I prefer to use a hand priming system instead. The primer going off does no damage other than to your hearing and, as mentioned, perhaps to the ceiling if proper precautions were not taken prior to starting the operation. Be sure, of course, to use proper eye protection when using this tool.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

As others have said, watch the primers. I prefer to use a Lee AutoPrime (like, $12) for this step of the operation.

I really like the handpress, and it's just about as portable. I load a few hundred rounds a month on it.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

alnitak wrote:As others have said, watch the primers. I prefer to use a Lee AutoPrime (like, $12) for this step of the operation.

I really like the handpress, and it's just about as portable. I load a few hundred rounds a month on it.
I like the hand press for resizing/depriming while watching TV... (though I don't have a tv...)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

AmBraCol wrote:An over zealous whack can result in holes in the ceiling when the steady rhythm of "whack, whack, whack" changes to "whack, BOOM" and your darling achieves lift off in 0.00009 seconds. This can put a strain on the relationship, don't ask me how I know.
:o :lol: :oops:

I realize it wouldn't be for the 'Bug-Out-Bag' application, but when not in the midst of armageddon. . .

. . . have any of you used an arbor press to reload with the Lee 'Classic' loader?
Arbor Press.jpg
Some of the benchrest guys use these for their Wilson Reloading Dies, and I use mine for Paco's Acu'Rzr, just to get a more uniform outcome, and not have to 'whack' on live .22 LR rounds.

http://leverguns.com/store/acurzr.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Just because nobody posted a Pic for those who haven't seen one...
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog ... oader.html

I suppose you could use an arbor press, but then you might as well get a normal press.

IIRC the Guinness Book of World Records has the Bench Rest record shooter using nothing but a Lee Loader (the old target version which was slightly but not significantly different).

Here's the old Target model:

The extra pieces look to be a case mouth chamfer tool, a hand prime, case trimmer, and a couple of other pieces I can't identify.

Here's a good writeup: http://www.jesseshunting.com/articles/g ... 8/117.html
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

deerwhacker444 wrote:Any of you folks ever use the Lee Classic Loader Kit..? It sounds kinda cool.

Is it everything they say it is.?

I'd like to get one for my cousin to see if he truly wants to learn reloading or not, without sinking lots of $$ into bunches of equipment.

Well, I'm going be the odd man out I guess because I don't recommend them. I've still got two of the three I bought back in the 60s and 70s. They still work, but I don't use them any more.

There is one big reason and a couple small ones why.
First: The noise. You have to hammer on the tool each and every step. After a while that noise gets on your nerves. If you want to load ammo out in the woods quietly, you can't do it. If you live in an apartment you'll get to know your neighbors because of it, and if you live in a house your: wife-kids-other will learn to hate you.
Second: If you keep at it long enough you can develop carpal tunnel disease.
Third: Unexpected detonation of primers. As careful as you'll become every now and again one will go off. Eventually you'll develop PTSD from the stress of waiting for the primer to go off.

There are lots of reasons they do work, simplicity is one of them, but I'd strongly recommend buying either the Lyman 310 tool or the Lee Hand Press. Both of these will do the same job. But it will be quieter and a lot less stressful.

A couple years ago I went through both my old Lee Loaders and replaced the missing or damaged parts. Then just for old time sake I loaded one box each of 30-30 and .45 Colt. That was all it took for me to remember why I quit using them in the first place.

JMHO

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Ironsights wrote:Here's the old Target model:
The extra pieces look to be a case mouth chamfer tool, a hand prime, case trimmer, and a couple of other pieces I can't identify.
I have the Target model for my 6mm Remington, and it's the ONLY way I've loaded ammo for that 5-shots-in-3/8"-at-100-yards rifle. One of the secrets is the micrometer seating adjustment, but the other is the INSIDE neck reaming; it seems to be the best way to assure your cases are precisely prepped, neck tension is perfect, and it doesn't seem to weaken the neck the way outside neck turning does sometimes.

J Miller wrote:
First: The noise. You have to hammer on the tool each and every step.

Third: Unexpected detonation of primers.
I 'hear' you on those points, although in several thousand rounds of loading as a kid, I never had a primer go off, and as a kid of course I'd never heard of 'carpal tunnel', and when you're a kid, nothing ever hurts or wears out as long as you're doing something fun.

Those reasons were what got me thinking though - since I have my little arbor press (stands about 10" tall) mounted on a flat scrap of wood about half the size of my laptop computer, and I used to use a scrap of wood about that size so I didn't put 'dings' in the kitchen table when I used the Lee loader, why not next time just use the arbor press to 'push' on the Lee, rather than all the hammering? The arbor press is virtually instant to raise or lower to just the height you need for pressing whatever is under it, and of course is quiet and the leverage makes it easy on the arthritis.

Next time I get the urge to fiddle with the old Lee loader, I may just try it... 8)

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AJMD429 wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:Here's the old Target model:
I have the Target model for my 6mm Remington, and it's the ONLY way I've loaded ammo for that 5-shots-in-3/8"-at-100-yards rifle. One of the secrets is the micrometer seating adjustment, but the other is the INSIDE neck reaming; it seems to be the best way to assure your cases are precisely prepped, neck tension is perfect, and it doesn't seem to weaken the neck the way outside neck turning does sometimes.

J Miller wrote:
First: The noise. You have to hammer on the tool each and every step.

Third: Unexpected detonation of primers.
I 'hear' you on those points, although in several thousand rounds of loading as a kid, I never had a primer go off, and as a kid of course I'd never heard of 'carpal tunnel', and when you're a kid, nothing ever hurts or wears out as long as you're doing something fun.

Those reasons were what got me thinking though - since I have my little arbor press (stands about 10" tall) mounted on a flat scrap of wood about half the size of my laptop computer, and I used to use a scrap of wood about that size so I didn't put 'dings' in the kitchen table when I used the Lee loader, why not next time just use the arbor press to 'push' on the Lee, rather than all the hammering? The arbor press is virtually instant to raise or lower to just the height you need for pressing whatever is under it, and of course is quiet and the leverage makes it easy on the arthritis.

Next time I get the urge to fiddle with the old Lee loader, I may just try it... 8)
AJMD,
Lee Target Model Kit.jpg
I put in all the part names I know, only missed four of them.
Under the Styrofoam tray there should be an instruction sheet with parts names on it.

I've thought about an arbor press a couple times, just never got round to it. I always used a length of 2x4 under mine so I didn't mess up the furniture. Mom would have beat knots in my head if I had of.
I can't even begin to remember how many rounds I loaded on the three I had but it was a bunch.
Didn't have many, but I had enough primers pop to give me a case of the jitters. It was the cause of my turning to the original Lee hand primer too. Like the one in your kit there.

It's a good simple kit, if you can get past all the hammering. It just finally got too much for my one and only frayed nerve to handle.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by J Miller on Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

AJMD429 wrote:. . . have any of you used an arbor press to reload with the Lee 'Classic' loader?
Arbor Press.jpg
Where did you find that little arbor press?

FWIW, I've set off a primer using a 12ga Lee Load-All. Fun times since SWMBO was about 3 feet behind me napping on the couch... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Old Ironsights wrote: I like the hand press for resizing/depriming while watching TV... (though I don't have a tv...)
Yep...me too. The convenience and portability is great! I'm not limited to the garage for reloading.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have a few but have yet to use one :oops:
I got pretty attached to the Lee hand press I got for a birthday present a few years ago.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

ah the lee loader,I still use mine in .303 brit.
But as a wee boy my big brother used to let me do all the dirty work ie clean cases( with fine steel wool) deprime and size. When I got older I loaded thousands of 22-250 rounds for him all with a lee loader,but I used a hand primer also a lee I think it? was grey in colour made of pot metel and used a screw in shell holder I sill have it but it does not have a name on it I think it was lee's first hand priming tool? I measured all loads with a scale for the 22-250 but my own loads I use in my .303 with the old red dippers through 43.5 gr of 4320.
The lee loaders work very good only neck sizing does give a tiny bit of accuracy gain. I have lee loaders in .303, 6mm ,41mag and 300 win all in the old red and black cardboard box.
Now I use a press and dies powder measure and didj scale but if your just starting out a lee loader is a good way to go but get a scale to go with it and a hand priming tool.
Too be honest I do not like lee rifle dies! I have a set of lee 45 Colt dies and like them but really do not like the rifle dies they make.