375, 356Win & 35 Rem. Comparison

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

375, 356Win & 35 Rem. Comparison

Post by azoil »

Maybe someone can help me. I recall seeing a post or article recently comparing these three cartridges. Anyone able to point it to me?

Thanks guys!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I can't tell you anything except they all kill deer & hogs dead like a bolt of lightning.

I prefer the 375 Win (38-55 +P as I like to call it) but thats just me and because I think the cartridge case is easier to reload.

Wm
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

i haven't had the first two so i can't comment. i do have a .35 remington. it is wonderful. infact is has been my goto gun for several years. it kills like the hammer of thor.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

its real hard to beat the 375 when it comes to killing something :D .I have never had to track anything I have shot with my 375 win BB 94.boom-flop.
thats with the hornady 220 sp or my 280 gr cast.
pete
DAV life member.
dz86
Levergunner

Post by dz86 »

wm wrote:I can't tell you anything except they all kill deer & hogs dead like a bolt of lightning.
Wm
Thanks Wm for waking me up. I rarely sit at my computer and literally laugh out loud, but that one did it!

Dave
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

Here's an article that covers most except the .375

http://www.chuckhawks.com/subscribers/r ... ridges.htm

If you cannot get this link to open, email me if you want to read it and I'll cut and paste it to you. Ed
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

My vote goes to the 356 Winchester. Have two 375 Winchester (Marlin 375 and Winchester Big Bore) but I prefer the 356 Winchester. My Winchester 94 Big Bore is much more accurate than the two 375 Winchester guns. The Speer 220grs FN (356 Winchester) has better sectional density and ballistic coefficient than the Sierra 200grs. FN and Hornady 220 FN (375 Winchester) and will give deeper penetration. More bullets in the 356 Winchester from light target bullets (heavy pistol bullets) to heavy game bullets.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Couldn't open the Chuck Hawk thingy, and I've got enough spam now. Anyways...I've got all three calibers and have used them all for hunting along with general range work so here's my two cents:

The .35 Rem and .375 Win are pretty close, but the .375 edges the .35 out with it's ability to maintain usefulness over a wider variety of velocities, bullet weights, and bullet composition.

The .356 Win is in a completely different catagory...very close equivilent to the .358 Win. Grain for grain it wallops the other two.
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

dz86 wrote:
wm wrote:I can't tell you anything except they all kill deer & hogs dead like a bolt of lightning.
Wm
Thanks Wm for waking me up. I rarely sit at my computer and literally laugh out loud, but that one did it!

Dave
:?: :?:

what did you find humorous?
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

35 Rem.

Post by brucew44guns »

Scott Young wrote:i haven't had the first two so i can't comment. i do have a .35 remington. it is wonderful. infact is has been my goto gun for several years. it kills like the hammer of thor.

Maybe it's my mood today, but I needed what Scott said here today,---"The hammer of Thor?" It must have been quite a thumper, and it makes me glad to own 3 Marlin 35's. I guess I better go now and hammer something.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
dz86
Levergunner

Post by dz86 »

Scott Young wrote:
dz86 wrote:
Wm

Dave

Just the way he stated it. It's an absolutely great line and I meant it as a compliment.

Dave
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

Old Time Hunter wrote:Couldn't open the Chuck Hawk thingy, and I've got enough spam now. Anyways...I've got all three calibers and have used them all for hunting along with general range work so here's my two cents:

The .35 Rem and .375 Win are pretty close, but the .375 edges the .35 out with it's ability to maintain usefulness over a wider variety of velocities, bullet weights, and bullet composition.

The .356 Win is in a completely different catagory...very close equivilent to the .358 Win. Grain for grain it wallops the other two.
I totally agree as I own both a .356, and .358 along with a .35 Rem. I have not hunted with a .375, however. I also know the non-lever .35 Whelen and .350RM to be hammers on deer-sized game. I'd be first on the list for a BLR in either caliber! Is Browning listening?
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

The 35s are rare over here. A friend once found a 35rem case at a range one day and handed it to me-"wow" I expressed! Sometimes I wish I had ordered one instead of 30/30 that is years ago. 356 and 375 every body asks "come again" :roll: A real shame as most deer are taken (IMO) at less than 150yds. Hunters over here tend to go with the popular trend of which is usually geared around appeasing the authorities and range shooting were upon being able to shoot a tick of the backside of something apparently is very important :roll:
Anyway it is of the utmost importance that you guys keep me up to date with these fine calibers :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

dz86 wrote:
Scott Young wrote:
dz86 wrote:
Wm

Dave

Just the way he stated it. It's an absolutely great line and I meant it as a compliment.

Dave
:D :D :D :D :D
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

I have a 375 Winchester and it is great in all aspects!
I want to try a 356 Winchester too!
Hope that helps, Just kidding, I know it doesn't. You might consider looking for both and getting the first one that comes along at the right price...

Another thought is that, at least in Winchesters, the 375s are top eject and the 356 are angle eject, my recommendation is to stick with the old style half cock hammer and skip the push button safety. Also some of the 356 come with a stock that has a cheek piece, helpful if you want to mount a scope even if it is a bit non traditional looking.

Again, I like my 375 Winchester!
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I have only killed 1 deer with my 356 BB, it dropped in it's tracks. Any rifle would have though,it was a spine shot. I really like this rifle. Great finnish, shoots great when I do my part. (1 1/2 " at 100 yds). I am still playing around with loads, but it seems to like the 200 gr Hornady. My friend has a Rem. pump in 35 Rem and there sure are a lot of notches on the stock. I have also had a 35 Whelan and it too was a great shooter. In closing it seems that 35 cal rounds seem to be ignored by a lot of shooters/hunters.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

I have two .375 winchesters one with a 20 inch barrel and one with a 26 inch octagon. If you have never tried the .375 don't believe the statics on the round. I shoot 250 grain lead and am waiting for a 270 grain lead mold.
Some one stated that the .375 was only top eject well everything made after they went to angle eject was angle eject and I think some of the .375 were made that way. I have also seen the .307 and .356 in top eject just never had the funds to purchase.
If all your shooting is going to be 200 yards or less most of the time then any of the calibers you mention will work. I still like the bigger hole the .375 makes.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
Buckeye
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Buckeye »

[The .35 Rem and .375 Win are pretty close, but the .375 edges the .35 out with it's ability to maintain usefulness over a wider variety of velocities, bullet weights, and bullet composition.

The .356 Win is in a completely different catagory...very close equivilent to the .358 Win. Grain for grain it wallops the other two.[/quote]

I agree...
I own three 35 Rem. two 375 Winnys (94 and 336) and I perfer the 35 Rem. just cause I like the 358 Cal. I also have a 350 Rem Mag. Ruger 77, for a step up in power..if needed.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Iceman is the crimp groove in the right spot on the 200 grain hornadys? I thought the crimp groove on the 200 grains was set up for the 35 rem.

Anyway the 356 will have more range than the 35 rem and 375 win. I've clocked my 356 at 2400fps with 200 grain. Not sure what the 375 will do with a 200 grain . But I think the 220 grain is between 2100 to 2200 fps. and the 35 rem is about 2100fps with a 200 grain. Either way any of them connect with deer they will tip over.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Hi BenT. the crimp groove line up ok with the Hornady. I use a Lee crimp die anyways. works for me. Hows the sight working out on your 88?
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

It fits great I was going to use it this last year deer hunting .But I just have a hard time not hunting with the 356. I really need to shoot a deer with the 88. The local shop doesn't stock the 200 grain hornadys. I bought some 200 grain remingtons at a gunshow and the crimp groove is too far down the bullet. So it's nice to know the hornady's will work. Thanks
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

Thanks for the correction Shdwlkr! I had heard that there were 375 angle ejects but had never seen one and it is GREAT news to hear that the 356 is available in the top eject too (that is one that I did not think was made). A 375 AE would be even better for me giving me the option to scope a Winchester 375 with a traditional style mount if my eyes ever really go (I almost picked up one with the side mount a few months ago just in case), until then I prefer the top eject Winchesters.
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

OOPS. I my reply to BenT is said the crimp groove was ok with the Hornady. WRONG!!. I went and looked at some loads this AM and the Speer 220 flat point is OK the hornady is past the case mouth by approx 1/8". Sorry for any confusion. I use a Lee FCD and it seems to hold the bullets OK with out a crimp groove.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Iceman . Thats what I thought when I measured them , but I don't always remember correctly. I do know the sierra 200 grain have the crimp groove in the right spot. I measured them off a bullet board my buddy had hanging on his cabin wall.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

BenT Thanks for the info re Sierra. I will try and find some and give them a try. Sorry about the mix-up re Hornady. I have a good memory only its just short.