44/40 and hogs

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
txpete
Departed Friend

44/40 and hogs

Post by txpete »

I have a hog hunt coming up next week and was thinking about taking my navy arms 92 win 44/40 along.I have a load using my cast 200 gr lfn at 1230 fps.
think thats enough for hog's??? or should I use the 375 win.hunting will be done in brushy area's and a long shot would be 60 yards ot less.
pete
DAV life member.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

IF YOU CAN SHOOT YOU'LL NEVER NEED MORE THAN YOUR 44-40 IS PROVIDING. IF YOU CAN'T YOU'RE S O L ANYWAYS.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Take the 44-40 and put meat on the table.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Come on Terry, tell us how you really feel about this!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Let us cogitate on this a moment.

The 44 WCF ( 44-40 ) was introduced in 1873 in Winchester's then new and improved Model 1873 rifle. Then later chambered in the Mdl 92.
It was also chambered in Marlins of several models,
Colts pump and lever guns and revolvers of several models.
Remington rifles and revolvers of several models.
And I'm really sure I'm forgetting some.

Hunters using this round have been killing game animals of all kinds on this and other continents for over 134 years.

But it's too week and obsolete, it can't kill a hog any more.

BALDERDASH!

Take that 92 copy and go kill Miss Piggie. Then give us a hunt report - with pics.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Methinks you knew the answers you'd get before you asked the question! Why those old BP cartridges are weak sister's, all hunter's know they're no longer capable of taking game!

I'd take the '92, it's shorter action and lever throw will make that needed follow-up shot so much FASTER!!!!! :P :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

that needed follow-up shot so much FASTER!!!!!

Now that was funny. :lol:
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

Terry Murbach wrote:IF YOU CAN SHOOT YOU'LL NEVER NEED MORE THAN YOUR 44-40 IS PROVIDING. IF YOU CAN'T YOU'RE S O L ANYWAYS.
Hmmmm.note to self....find terry go to the range and shoot his ears off.end of note :lol: :lol: .

thanks guys I just haven't taken any game with the 44/40 so I guess it is time.the last pig was with a K98K and a 196 gr norma sp.one very dead pig that charged out of the brush.
pete
DAV life member.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

No hog hunting experience but just ran your 200gr @ 1230fps load through my energy calculator and came up with 672 ft lb. My 357 with a 158gr @ 1700fps will produce 1012 ft lb. Figures like that sure make the 44-40 look anaemic, but of course it is going to put a 30% bigger hole in the pig and that counts for something, and they have been putting meat on the table very effectively for 135 years.
By the way, with a 200gr proj if you want to bring your energy figures up to 1000 ft lb you would need over 1500fps to do it.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

How about nothing less that a 338 Ultra Magnum :? Oh sorry, I just put down a gun magazine were that was recommended as a minimum for Elk :shock: Surely, you little 44-40 will bounce of any hogs you run across :roll:

Take your Rifle if you are confident with it, if you have any doubts take your 375. I know it will put down any hog on this earth! Either way, HAVE FUN and SHOOT STRAIGHT!
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

"Cartridges of the World" has a .44-40 Hi-Vel load listed for '92's using, I believe, 2400 powder, for around 1800fps, if you want more punch, but you sure ain't under-gunned as is. Just double-tap him in his head if you want to be certain. The old saying is that, "There's been more men, good & bad, & more deer, legal & illegal, killed with the .44-40, than any other catridge, (spelling deliberately incorrect, for the nostalgia), bar none, at least until the .30-30 came along. jd45
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

gundownunder wrote:No hog hunting experience but just ran your 200gr @ 1230fps load through my energy calculator and came up with 672 ft lb. My 357 with a 158gr @ 1700fps will produce 1012 ft lb. Figures like that sure make the 44-40 look anaemic, but of course it is going to put a 30% bigger hole in the pig and that counts for something, and they have been putting meat on the table very effectively for 135 years.
By the way, with a 200gr proj if you want to bring your energy figures up to 1000 ft lb you would need over 1500fps to do it.
thanks for the info.I have been shooting my cast 200 with 9.0 grs unique for the 1230 fps.very accurate load but I know in the 92 action it can be pumped up with 2400.I just might have to try some of those loads.
thanks to all for the info & help.
pete
DAV life member.
HillbillyGadget
Levergunner 1.0

Post by HillbillyGadget »

Col. Rex Applegate, used a Rem pump in 44-40 and said he preferred it to anything else available down in central america after WW2. He said that it really hits hard on man and beast and has several stories of it stopping charging Jaguars.

I read that in a "Black powder Hunting" magazine, I'll have to find the issue.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Never ever go of a mathmatical calculation to evalulate a cartridge. Like women clothes sizes, I just tell her " it's just a number honey" !
If someone said take this 44/40 and get me a pig I would not look back.
In this day of ultra mag and super dooper shorty mags it would be a pleasure :wink:
Slightly different but I have been shooting game birds with BP cartridge and M/L shotguns and the last birds this season were taken with nitro and I thourght how much easier it was to hit with nitro but my point here is the birds were no more dead than with the BP, in fact they were beat up more!
Best wishes, Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

update.
went to the range today with the 375 win and the 44/40 both are now dead on for the piggies.
for the 44/40 and the navy arms 92 I change loads.I went with a rem 200 jsp and 18.0 grs 2400 starline brass and win primer.it has more zip than the cast loads :lol:

I am using my standard load for the 375 36.0 RL7 220 gr hornady win brass and win primer.

for the long shots out by the stock tank I'll have the steyr in 7X64 brenneke.I zeroed today with a factory 180 gr RWS load.its a thumper.

I am going to try and get some pics from the hunt and post them next week when I get back.
pete
DAV life member.
Papa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Papa »

Remeber the movie with Clint Walker called "Night of the Grizzly"? He said "Winchester 44/40, that ought to stop 'em".

Well maybe it was a movie, but it made a statement.....

Papa
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

txpete, I noticed that patch in your avitar..............couldn't help but wonder if you were with Col. Hal Moore in the Ia Drang, Nov. '65. jd45
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

nope before my time.I had a couple of friends that were.I retired out of the 1st cav in 94.over the years I was in 227 avn 1cd,1/9,2/9,2nd acr,1/6 and B trp 7/17.did the whole 9 yards in the cav.
pete
DAV life member.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Everywhere I listen to people talk about cartridges here in the Dallas area they all think that a 7mm Rem Magnum is the minimum for deer. I just can't figure out how the old timers did everything with guns that were just too underpowered to be useful. :wink: :wink: :wink: I guess the large part of the people who can't get by without being too overpowered for sense must be not too good in the accuracy department. I am not a great shot, but the most powerful rifle I have/need is a 30-06. Only one deer I ever shot needed a second shot. I bet that .44-40 does the job in a very workmanlike manner. Quietly, no fuss, and effectively.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
WyrTwister
Levergunner 1.0

Re: 44/40 and hogs

Post by WyrTwister »

txpete wrote:I have a hog hunt coming up next week and was thinking about taking my navy arms 92 win 44/40 along.I have a load using my cast 200 gr lfn at 1230 fps.
think thats enough for hog's??? or should I use the 375 win.hunting will be done in brushy area's and a long shot would be 60 yards ot less.
pete
Since the range will be short , I would go to a HEAVY bullet .

God bless
Wyr
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

You can load a 44-40 up and shoot it in a 92 that will rival a 44 Mag. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Won't that depend on the nature of the '92? Now that I think about it, we're talking about mid-thirty thousand pressure levels, possibly & if the rifle is an older original Winchester, not one of the newer replicas, it could be dangerous. Just food for thought, jd45
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

nath, if you can get that lady of yours to believe that, "It's just a number, honey" thing, you're a man among men, & my hat's off to ya!
Pillar, like in real estate, where the magic words are, "Location, location, location", in hunting, as you well know, it's "Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement"
txpete, Good luck with your hunt & thanx for your service to our country. Both my youngest brother & I are Vietnam Era Vets, I was in Japan & he did 3 tours as a combat engineer in 'Nam. jd45
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Papa, speaking of Clint, do you remeber an episode of "Cheyenne" called "Big Ghost Basin", in which he was hired to track down & kill what turned out to be a crazed grizzly bear, supposedly burned in a forest fire, that was rampaging thru the country? Clint somehow got ahold of a British-made double rifle to use when he found it, but after pouring both barrels into him, he finished him off with his Colt SAA. jd45
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

thanks jd.heading out mon morning I'll try and get some pics taken.

I spent almost 9 years in w germany and loved it.
pete
DAV life member.
Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

.44-40 and hogs

Post by Paul Jenkins »

Pete,
I noticed three; questions lacking in these posts; how big a pig?; are wounded pigs gonna be gentle?; are any of the posters experienced? I'm not.
I am booking a hunt in SC in late March, so, have an interest here too. I have a .45C in a '92 that is loaded up to 1500 fps, 280 gr bullet and I think I'll carry a .45-70 loaded hot. I've heard a PO,ed 300 #er can get nasty.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I am looking for pigs in the 70-80 pound range.the bigger hogs just don't taste as good.
I have only taken I hog so far and it was 125 lbs and charged at 40 yards out of the brush.I shot it with my K98K 8mm mauser and a 196 gr norma sp.dead hog boom flop.
I just wanted to use a lever this time and the 375 and the 44/40 what I am going to use.both rifle really shoot well and this ranch has some thick brush from what the owner says.
oh and one more thing I am going to carry my 1911 as a back up as NO pigs are not gentle after being shot.on the last hunt my bud shot one with a 222 and all it did was pee it off...real bad.
pete
DAV life member.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

pic of the one I dropped with the 8mm.
DAV life member.