Lyman 310 handles and dies info

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Lyman 310 handles and dies info

Post by BigSky56 »

Somebody was asking about them heres a outfit that makes hard to find dies and other tools. danny
http://www.the310shop.com/
Ysabel Kid

Re: Lyman 310 handles and dies info

Post by Ysabel Kid »

It was me - thanks Danny! :D
GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GregT »

I have had some dealings with the fellow who runs this shop and he is an excellent machinist and very knowledgeable regarding the 310 Tong Tools. My next purchase from him will be a set of 310 dies in caliber .45 Colt so that I can load at my desk for the Rossi Modelo 92's I have. Lots of fun to use these old tools! I'm thinking about having him make me a set for the .56/50 Spencer centerfire...
GregT
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That is too cool! :!:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
2row
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 2row »

that guy is only 60 or 70 miles from me but I'll just keep using my lee hand loader thank you
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

2row wrote:that guy is only 60 or 70 miles from me but I'll just keep using my lee hand loader thank you
Especially at $200/pop... :shock: (yes, fine craftsmanship and he deserves it, but... ouch...)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Quite a bit of this stuff readily available on ebay.

(eagerly awaits with heightened excitement the oncoming vitriolic bashing of ebay) :P
GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GregT »

When I started using my tong tools, I got quite a bit off eBay, some things I did not need came along with stuff I did need. In most cases, Rick traded me what I needed for extra original 310 dies, etc, that I did not need. If you have never used one of these and live close to him, take the trip and I'm sure he will show you how they work!
Greg T.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I really like the 310 tools. I did business with the guy that was in Arizone before the current guy bought it. Prices went up a bit, but he has stuff that isnt easy to find.

The Arizona guy still owed me a tap-in full length sizer for 45 Colt that I paid for, but he didn't have at the time. Guess I'm outa luck on that one.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GregT »

The Arizona guy? I once did a search for the "310 Shop" and got a place in Arizona. That is NOT the fellow I am in reference to. Rick Morrill owns the "310 Shop" in Denton, Texas. THAT is the shop I have come to know. If there was another place or he bought another shop out, I don't see where that is his problem. The problem is, is that OTHER shop comes up on searches. I did not bother to follow up that time when I did the search and got the wrong place. Just had some momentary confusion until I found his card. His shop is at http://www.The310Shop.com phone 940 271-1222. If you phone him, better have a good length of time to chat!
What problem did you have with the other guy? Maybe Rick could shed some light on the other place as I'm sure he has probably had to talk about that before! Anyway, I'm happy with the guy. He can also make some excellent pan lubers for cast bullets. I have one he made in .515" for my original bore .50/70's. Give the guy a call!
Greg T
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I think Rick probably bought out the 310 shop from Az. He was in Cal before, then Tombstone. He used to send out a monthly e-mail newsletter, which stopped at some point, when I got curious abd looked it up, the Texas guy had it. I did business with him (Az guy) several times. He was a bit disorganized at times, but good, and his prices were about 1/2 - 2/3 what the current guy's are. On the last order I ordered a full length tap-in sizer for 45 Colt among other things. He sent a full length sizer for the True-line dies instead. I sent it back and told him to send me a tap-in type when he got one in, but I guess he sold out before that happened, or he forgot. You're right, it isn't Ricks problem, that's why I said I'm probably out of luck on that.

I think the Az guy had some health problems, like maybe an organ transplant among other things.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GregT »

I haven't looked at the 310 Shops prices lately but I would bet they are higher than the last time I purchased from him. He made a "Kake Kutter" for me in the old .50/70 bore size that looks exactly like the old Lyman made tool. I'll bet that the current owner will work with you on the problem you had. Too bad if the other fella was ill. No one would look forward to being in that position.
GregT
"Underneath our starry flag, civilize 'em with a Krag"

War in the Phillipines, 1900.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Actually, I wasnt surprised that the prices went up, I was surprised at how low they were for a so long. He's making some of this stuff also, machine time isnt free or cheap. Rick may be the guy that was making parts for Randy (Az guy).

When I realized that the 310 shop had been sold, I didnt bother the new guy about Randy's forgetting the sizer. I just wish I had kept reminding Randy until he got one in stock, or we could have made another arrangement. I was waiting to hear about a 310 handle for 348 also, but didnt get one before he sold out. The 348's use fatter dies and take a special size handle.

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I didn't see any for the 38-40. I did see they had 44-40. Did they make'em?
Old Law Dawg
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Kim, I saw them listed in the handgun section for 80$ Iam assuming used but I believe the guy will make you a new set. danny
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Thanks, Danny. I'll look again, but the first preview I didn't notice them.
Old Law Dawg
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Lyman still makes the tools. The handles and some calibers of dies. They can be had for about $60 new, maybe less depending on who has them. I bought a new set of 38-55 dies from Cabelas for around $40. Ebay may have them even cheaper. I've bought boxes of them with 3-6 different calibers of die sets and many spare parts for $20-$40 at gun shows.

Most individual dies and parts are available from Lyman also, for very reasonable prices. I've bought a number of parts and individual dies from Lyman for sets I bought that didnt have all the dies, or were for Tru-line presses, so needed the priming chamber.