Tang Sight Question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Tang Sight Question

Post by Rube Burrows »

Does anyone make a tang sight that only requires the one screw hole in the rear? So I dont have to drill and tap another screw hole in a rifle.

I only have one rifle with a tang sight and would like to put one on another rifle but really didnt want to alter the gun by drilling it.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Tang Sight Question

Post by jnyork »

Along with myself, several people I know that have mounted the Marbles tang sight on 39a's and other levers simple leave the second screw out and only use the stock screw. Put a little epoxy under the base and cinch down the stock screw, sight will not go anywhere at all. I even know one guy who cut off the head of the second screw and epoxied it into the blank hole for esthetic purposes. :D
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

jnyork wrote:Along with myself, several people I know that have mounted the Marbles tang sight on 39a's and other levers simple leave the second screw out and only use the stock screw. Put a little epoxy under the base and cinch down the stock screw, sight will not go anywhere at all. I even know one guy who cut off the head of the second screw and epoxied it into the blank hole for esthetic purposes. :D

I was thinking about doing just that. Just thought I would ask first in case there was someone who made one that I was possibly overlooking.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Rube,

Take a look at the Marbles tang sight that has a short base and two screw holes behind the staff. They use the tang screw and a second, smaller screw. Just leave the smaller screw out. With a standard, longer base sans front screw you can put too much leverage on the sight should you have some kind of accident that would tend to force the front of the base to one side.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jnyork wrote:Put a little epoxy under the base and cinch down the stock screw, sight will not go anywhere at all.
Think on it before you do that though - a simple drilled & tapped hole for the front screw can be dealt with years later if the tang sight is removed by simply putting a filler screw in the hole, and looks perfectly professional. If you use EPOXY, there will likely always be residue and/or marring or discoloration of the bluing or finish, which could look Bubba-smithed unless you removed it very carefully (and with some luck as well).

If you don't want to drill & tap, you could use a more easily removed 'glue' - even heavy-duty double-sided tape; the friction and rounded 'hump' of the tang contour might actually prevent rotation around the rear-screw axis fairly well on some guns.

One other option I've done for other similar dilemmas is carefully use a multi-flute countersink bit to make a small 'dimple' where you would have made a tapped hole, and use a pointed 'set' screw in the attachment to locate the attachment and prevent it from rotating or sliding around. I'd not do that for a tang sight, because you'd have to enlarge the front hole in the sight base, then thread the sight for the screw to hold it, and their metal isn't all that thick, but I've had that method work to 'locate' other firearms attachments.

Personally, I'd drill and tap it - myself if it was an ordinary firearm, and by paying a gunsmith I trusted, if it was a unique/rare one.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I agree with DocAJ on using epoxy. The only reason not to drill and tap would be if you are going to drill a hole through lettering or some sort of mark; IMO go ahead and drill and tap. If you decide to remove the tang sight, the only mark would be a professionally installed filler screw, not the blemish in the blueing that epoxy would leave,
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I believe you could get by quite well without the second screw or any epoxy. The sight is concave to fit the curve of the tang so it shouldn't rotate as long as the downward force of the main screw is there.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

I have done the one screw with a short filler screw in the front hole. I used thin double back tape on mine. I first cleaned the surfaces with a little acetone. The tape held so well after that, I am not sure I would have needed even one screw. I was very careful not to get the acetone on the wood finish by using a Q-Tip that was just damp with the acetone. Later when I removed it some "goof off" removed any of the tape residue and the blued finish was fine. This was after a year or so and even some wet weather exposure. The tape seemed to form a moisture proof seal. It took a bit of strength and heat to remove the sight.

I do not recall the brand of the tape, but it was very thin, clear and very sticky.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, I shot/hunted for 5 years with a Marbles Tang peep sight on my Winchester/Miroku Model 86 Extra Light .45-70, using ONLY the longer tand screw, because I didn't want to D/T the High Grade's engraved receiver's tang.

It NEVER moved, or even loosened.

If a Marbles Tang sight base underside is examined, one can observe that it has a slight side-to-side concave radius machined in to match the slight convexity of the rifle's tang (and cover the safety).

When the tang screw is tightened securely, the two curved surfaces interlock, deterring any sideways movement, provived the tang screw stays tight.
Although I checked it's tightness regularly (like B 4 every time I used the rifle), I never found it loose enough so that the screwdriver showed/felt any movement whatsoever.

Just DO IT - if you have an issue, deal with it then.............. Jes' sayin'.

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Personally, if I leave anything to Murphy he's gonna slap me right upside the head at the worst possible time. I don't think drilling and tapping a second hole for a tang sight is out of the question nor value depleting. I think it's an actual bonus if I were looking at a rifle that was for sale. And if you ever take it off you can plug it as stated and it looks professional. I recently tapped a Marlin '94 (actually ended up having a machinist do it because of the CCH was rock hard) and I'd do it again if it presented itself. I like checking Mr. Murphy every chance I get.
Old Law Dawg
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

In general do people ever tang sight a 32-20 or is it usually for rifle calibers?
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Wind, which hasn't been visiting here much lately, has them on almost all his rifles. He's a dead shot with a 25-20 and his tang sight. Most of the guys shooting lever silhouette use tang or receiver sights.
Old Law Dawg
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Rube Burrows wrote:In general do people ever tang sight a 32-20 or is it usually for rifle calibers?
Got one on mine. Works great.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

I have a tang sight on 16 rifles -- all my lever guns and single-shots -- including a 32-20 lever gun.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Rube, I guess you got your answer. :D
Old Law Dawg
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Yes, I did.

I have never owned a 32-20 but have a Marlin 1889 first year production that will be heading my way soon and its in 32-20.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I believe they're MORE useful on pistol calibers than rifle calibers. Because with the former you have to deal with a looping trajectory, this is where the tang sight shines. Rifle calibers shoot flat enough so you can get by with set sights.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Rube,
My 1892 Winchester, (mfg in 92) caliber 32 WCF, wears a Marbles tang sight with both screws in it. I believe it came from the factory with the front hole already in it. My 73 in 44 WCF wears one also. Think I had to drill and tap that one, (Uberti). I can't see what it would hurt. I do them all time and don't even dis-assemble anything. I do use a duplicating punch to mark the spot after the rear screw is installed to insure accurate hole placement.

M. M.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there Rube -- I'm a big fan of Marbles tang sights as they have adjustment for windage. Your up and coming 1889 may already be drilled and tapped for a tang sight from the factory. Here is my 1907 vintage Marlin 1894 in 32-20 with it's Lyman sight. It will easily reach 400 yards. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Wind wrote:Hey there Rube -- I'm a big fan of Marbles tang sights as they have adjustment for windage. Your up and coming 1889 may already be drilled and tapped for a tang sight from the factory. Here is my 1907 vintage Marlin 1894 in 32-20 with it's Lyman sight. It will easily reach 400 yards. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind
Great picture Wind :mrgreen:
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I agree Wind.....great pic. Very beautiful rifle. I think I will put a tang sight on mine also.
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there kimwcook -- Thanks for the kind words, by the way. You need to get your raggedy butt up here again soon. Got a bunch of new dingers and we could run your Sharps to 1000 - 1200 yards or so.

casastahle -- Thanks also. People are accusing me of having a magic fence post that grows old rifles. That rifle still has a bunch of case color as well as plenty of blue. The take-down feature is a plus as well.

Hey again Rube -- The little hyphenated calibers are way fun to shoot near or far. Here is another 32-20 rifle and a five round group on the "old" 12 inch by 16 inch dinger at 300 yards.

Best regards. Wind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Hey dude, good to see you around. Thought your topknot got lifted. I'm hoping to get to the range today to shoot a new Uberti '73 38-40 I got for Christmas, a new to me S&W 46 and now that you reminded me my Sharps. I got some BP rounds loaded up and due to weather and work I hadn't gotten around to shooting. Thanks for the reminder. When I get the BP rounds where I want them I'll give ya a ring and we'll set a time for some ding. :D
Old Law Dawg
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Nice shooting. Pretty dog also.