OT: Sad, But I Saw A Brave, Loyal Dog Today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

OT: Sad, But I Saw A Brave, Loyal Dog Today

Post by Blaine »

There were two medium sized dogs moving along the road as I went to the bank. When I came back, one had been hit and appeared dead in the middle of the road. The other dog was standing guard over his buddy in traffic. There was a Stater there, and a lady, but the poor fella didn't want to leave his buddy. Dang, got sumpin in my eye..... :(
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Sad, But I Saw A Brave, Loyal Dog Today

Post by TedH »

I remember one day in elementary school the teacher posed a question to the class. She asked each of us if we could be any animal, what would we choose. There were many different answers, mostly majestic animals like Lions, Bald Eagles, Tigers, etc. I was the only one of the class that said I would be a dog. I stand by that to this day. They aren't called man's best friend for no reason.
NRA Life Member
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

If there is a better, more loyal, understanding , forgiving and affectionate creature on this planet
than the dog please enlighten me.

As I'm typing this my Great dane is in my face for a little affection.
I've picked up a lot of strays over the years and kept a bunch.
All of them have been wonderful dogs.
My all time best friend is a boxer mix that ran up and jumped in
my truck almost 14 years ago!! Greatest dog ever.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That really burns my azz. :evil: Idiot yuppies with their BMW's screaming along at 60 in a 35 buzz past animals thinking the animals have rational thought and will not walk in front of them. On a regular basis I see these idiots who have moved into our farmland and built $500,000 houses and get all pissy when animals (wild or domestic) damage their $50,000 toy. They complain to the local supervisors....oh thats enough, I'm burned up now....................Good night-------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

We had a police candidate, German Sheppard pup, wash out when I was a kid. Evidently, he did not have the temperament to be a police dog. Man was he brave and loyal. He would routinely take on much larger beasties that would cross into his turf. That dog actually stood guard over my three year old brother when he wandered out of the house during a snow storm. Mom called the authorities to notify them of the situation. Our town's finest found him walking down the road with the dog between he and the road. That dog would NOT allow anyone near my brother. Eventually, one officer had to distract the dog long enough and in the process, get bitten in order that another officer could scoop the little guy up in his arms and make a dash for the safety of his cruiser. The dog chased that cruiser all the way back to our home. The rescuing officer would not leave his cruiser until my mom was able, with much effort, to get the dog in the house. My parents bought the bitten officer a new leather duty coat. What an animal he was. 1886.
Last edited by 1886 on Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

1886 wrote:We had a police candidate, German Sheppard, pup wash out when I was a kid. . . . . What an animal he was. 1886.
Wow. Amazing fidelity from fido. Pretty cool...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

It's a shame that very few people you meet have the loyalty of most of the dogs that you meet.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Dogs are so much more loyal than humans. That is a fact, based on over 40 years of personal research and experimentation.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

2ndovc wrote:If there is a better, more loyal, understanding , forgiving and affectionate creature on this planet

jb 8)
The woman.

Folks say we are the same species, but I don't believe it.

Anyhow, some are downright friendly. They can be fair companions.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

When my father in law died going into his house in January a couple of years ago ( sudden heart attack) his rotweiller Rusty must of sat beside him all night until my brother in law found him in the morning. When he pulled into the yard to feed his horses, Rusty was right there beside him.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

As I type this my best friend is laid up in his recliner not four feet from where I sit, patiently waiting for bed time like he does every night.
101-0164_IMG.JPG
That's my buddy. Nobody gets anywhere close to the house without him letting us know about it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

iceman wrote:When my father in law died going into his house in January a couple of years ago ( sudden heart attack) his rotweiller Rusty must of sat beside him all night until my brother in law found him in the morning. When he pulled into the yard to feed his horses, Rusty was right there beside him.
They will do that. I found my dad outside his front door, where he'd been a little over 24 hours. His dog, who would normally meet you at the gate with a hearty warning that said you needed the old man's permission to enter the property, met me instead with a bawling wimper like a pup, and led me to the old man. When I covered the body and called the SD, the dog took up his post next to his master, where he'd been since dad went down the day before. I let him stay there until the authorities arrived.

Now, humans created this critter called dog. We molded the primordial dog into what it is, a not too bright but exceedingly loyal dispenser of affection and protection......
Certified gun nut
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

not too bright
:P I'm not believing that.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

I could tell a tale or two but I'm afraid I would get too emotional so all I will say is: This world would be a far better place to live in if it were run by dogs.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hawkeye2 wrote:I could tell a tale or two but I'm afraid I would get too emotional so all I will say is: This world would be a far better place to live in if it were run by dogs.
Wag more, Bark less..... :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
mouthpiece
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mouthpiece »

Had this big old sled dog. Took him to beach, coached him out to neck high water where he decided that was deep enough for him. Turned around to go back ashore when he heard my daughter screaming out in the deepest water (she was just goofing around). Dog imedaitely turned back and began swimming out to her to help despite his fear/dislike of deep water.

How can an animal with a brain the size of a walnut have so much courage & loyalty?
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

FWiedner wrote:
2ndovc wrote:If there is a better, more loyal, understanding , forgiving and affectionate creature on this planet

jb 8)
The woman.

I was speaking of Four legged creatures.

jb
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

2ndovc wrote:
FWiedner wrote:

jb 8)
The woman.

I was speaking of Four legged creatures.

jb
You just ain't holdin' her right.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

BlaineG wrote:[quote="Wag more, Bark less..... :lol:

Yep +1!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Had a collie-husky cross for about a year & 1/2 before renal failure got him. He was a big orange "outside dog" (compared to our shepherd/samoyed "house dog") we adopted from a neighbor who couldn't take a giant ball of fluff to Saipan to die of heat prostration..

One summer we were gone for a few days and had the neighbor girl (11-12(?)) watch the house. She was instructed not to let Lobo off his lead, but somehow forgot that.

She came over one day and let Lobo off, then unlocked the house to let the house dog out.

Mistake.

Candy went out, and Lobo went in... and would NOT let that child into the house. Period. End of discussion, fang and growl.

Of course, this was a genuine problem to the girl who had details to conduct inside, but she was not about to cross a dog bigger than her.

After a bit, candy came back after doing her business and trotted back into the house past Lobo... who stood up from his position as door-guard and calmly walked back to his doghouse and waited to be put back on lead.

Simple Dog Logic. House Dog Gone... Protect House. House Dog Back, Stand Down.

The child was able to enter the house without issue to do her thing. But boy did she have a story to tell... :mrgreen:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Darn, now something is in my eye too!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

the first time i read this thread last night, i went out and made sure my band of merry mutts was doing ok (they were). Then i picked up my little 14 year old pekingnese Cupcake, who was laying in her bed snoring and gave her a little kiss on top of the head.

Sometimes i wonder who is taking care of who
----- Doug
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I always thought my newest dog, a Golden Retriever, was all bark and no bite. He always sounds vicious when he hears someone outside or they come to the door, but once they are in the house, all he wants is their attention. Never thought he'd hurt anyone, but he sure is a good deterrent/alarm system. Well, a couple weeks ago my brother was staying at my house while in town. My wife and I always use the garage door to go in and out. We were both home, my wife was in bed, and here comes my bro through the front door about midnight. I had to restrain my dog, and my brother wouldn't come through the door.........Good boy!
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

From my Grandmother came this story of my Great Grandfather, who homesteaded 80 acres in central Kansas in the late 1880's. The farm prospered as farms go...and one feature of the home there was a mutt named Dollar.

Later in life, Grandfather had surgery which required a lengthy recuperation at home...Dollar was a regular companion during his convalescence. About 6 months after surgery though, Grandfather succumbed to complications and passed away in 1922.

A graveside service was the norm...and held at the cemetery 6 miles North of the farm. A few days later Dollar came up missing, and about 5 days into his absence a family from up North had stopped by and mentioned that they believed they saw the family Dog in the cemetery.

A couple of the men drove up to see for themselves, and to their surprise...they found Dollar tending to Grandfathers grave site. They brought him home to the farm; and the story goes that in the weeks to come, they had to return and fetch Dollar a few more times before he finally stayed put.

Curious things we creatures are... :wink:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Years ago my Grandmother and my oldest Uncle, a veteran of Patton's 2nd Armored Division from North Africa to the Battle of the Bulge, had a dog at my Grandmother's farm which was mostly Norwegian Elkhound. One day my parents and I were out to visit and my Grandmother was at the door when she slipped and started to fall. My Dad reached for her, but patches pushed him aside and caught her with his front paws on her shoulders. He stood on his hind legs pushing on her shoulders until she regained her balance. How he understood to do that is beyond my understanding, but he was fast enough and strong enough to push a healthy strong 50 year old 190 pound man away without making him fall and catch an 85 year old woman before she could fall. Dogs can be much smarter than we give them credit for.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost